MOST Amp replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 10:26 PM
DSA5
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default MOST Amp replacement?

I have an 05 tts with most / Bose.

My amp appears to be dying. It regularly doesn’t turn on when I start the car, resulting in no sound despite the radio working fine. I have to lock and manually unlock the car to reset the system.

Any idea what kind of amp I could replace it with?

I’m also interested in upgrading the radio, probably to the PCCM+. In case that matters.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:21 PM
Scrh1
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

If you want to retain your stereo or go pccm+ you will need a new or repaired factory amp ( they aren’t cheap new and about 600 used working ). Replacing factory amp to something e,set to match the speakers would be very difficult as they operate at diff ohms than most so you would have to do speakers, wiring and amp. If it were me I’d find a used working amp on eBay or dismantler. You could call Becker on NJ but they weren’t very helpful with the amp. You may want to get your head unit checked or throw a know good one in to see if it is really your amp or HU.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:50 PM
DSA5
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for the reply. I feared this was the case from the research I’ve done. Kinda hard to believe this amp would he so limiting.

I’m increasingly thinking of just going aftermarket. .
Old 03-29-2024, 12:09 AM
Scrh1
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

LMK as I’ve been through this a few times and actually have spares / dupes of some amps and stereos and happy to help piece together something ( IM me and we can chat) . I would retain the factory amp as no matter what solution you go with aftermarket will need a total rework of speakers and such harnesses. If you keep the amp you can go pccm+ or aliexpress special clone from my other thread and leave the rest alone and main point you aren’t hacking up the wiring harnesses. Thx - scrh1.
Old 03-29-2024, 12:39 AM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I was faced with the same issue while simultaneously being relegated to having no "pro audio" shops within 100 miles as the cows fly so forced to Best Buy or whatever it was called. Their tech botched my wiring necessitating I take it to yet another shop just so I'd have a non parasitic draining aftermarket radio/maps/hands free phone etc

So I opted to take my chances and replaced the failing amp with a cheap double DIN Apple Car Play capable unit. The amp will not power the Bose sub but does handle the remaining 4 mid/tweeters door and dash mounted speaker. For proper bass freq response one would need a separate 5 channel amp to run the sub separately. So I have given up ( for now ). The good news is classic country music is not heavily reliant upon "bass". Welcome to cattle country they said.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:49 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts

i have two spare amps, but neither of them are the Bose ones... if anyone ever needs one, hit me up... happy to pay it forward.
Old 03-30-2024, 02:35 PM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

https://cai-store.com/products/996-a...-amplifier-kit

Quick Reply: MOST Amp replacement?