Sponsored by:

DDIN -DIN conversion for GT3 console delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 01:27 PM
Borg
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default DDIN -DIN conversion for GT3 console delete

I recently removed the big box style DDIN OEM radio/nav unit from my dash and am trying to install the HVAC and the aftermarket Continental unit in the upper dash. The information is all over the place on this topic.

I already contacted Bergvill in Norway and he does not have any connectors for this.

So here is where I’m at:

I just installed the GT3 center console delete on my ‘01 996tt. Moved the HVAC wires up and now I need to plug in the Continental radio I bought.

Two problems I need to solve are:
1. How do I connect the radio? (See OEM connectors in photo)
2. How do I mount everything? The $30 Metra kit off Amazon doesn’t work. Even after I pulled out the big square metal frame. It looks like its for a Boxster and not a 996.

Old 03-25-2024, 02:37 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts

you will need the factory cage that goes in the upper dash... the climate control will go in the top spot with the radio underneath it...

as for the wiring, did your car have premium sound? because there would have been a separate controller that went into the lower dash that might need to be plugged back in with an oem unit... bypassed for aftermarket. check the harnesses you have available. what car is the headunit from?
Old 03-25-2024, 02:41 PM
Borg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kamlung
you will need the factory cage that goes in the upper dash... the climate control will go in the top spot with the radio underneath it...

as for the wiring, did your car have premium sound? because there would have been a separate controller that went into the lower dash that might need to be plugged back in with an oem unit... bypassed for aftermarket. check the harnesses you have available. what car is the headunit from?
I gotcha it goes up top. I just have that HVAC thrown in there right now.

no premium sound. The missing plug is the B plug from the radio diagram. I don’t have that. Everything else plugs in aside from the nav system connections.

what exact frame works with a DIN setup. I pulled the old metal one out.

Also there was a ground connected to it, do you know what that is?
Old 03-25-2024, 02:58 PM
Scrh1
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

You will need the proper harness adapters from Amazon or local car audio store if one still exists. I think walmart sells the adapters too ( vw/audi work fine). I would spend some time on the threads on the 996 forum on stereo upgrades on here. I also have a thread in here around the Ali express pccm clone that covers almost every permutation of wiring we have come across.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...n-here-36.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...s-install.html

amazon stuff you will need depending on most or non most car. antennae adapter and stereo adapter

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-25-2024, 03:28 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 128 Posts

Sounds like you need to put whatever was factory back up there that the HVAC controls mount to.

Is that carbon console delete from Rennline? Pretty slick.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:49 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Borg
I gotcha it goes up top. I just have that HVAC thrown in there right now.

no premium sound. The missing plug is the B plug from the radio diagram. I don’t have that. Everything else plugs in aside from the nav system connections.

what exact frame works with a DIN setup. I pulled the old metal one out.

Also there was a ground connected to it, do you know what that is?
here is the support frame you need... normally when you install a double DIN, it tells you to dremel out the middle section... this has the cage for you to properly slot the HVAC controls up top and radio in the bottom...

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...231-11-01C-OEM

the ground wire you see there is a disable for the factory radio antitheft...

if you are missing the B-plug for the speakers,, it might be because you have a factory amp in the frunk... that means radio goes to amp and amp to speakers... do you have RCAs in the dash? you might have to try and source a missing B-plug and wire it up yourself

Last edited by kamlung; 03-25-2024 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:59 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

found this

https://986forum.com/forums/performa...-review-3.html

https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/...96boxster-m490
Old 03-25-2024, 06:34 PM
Borg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
Sounds like you need to put whatever was factory back up there that the HVAC controls mount to.

Is that carbon console delete from Rennline? Pretty slick.
The a factory CF console. This car came with a $3000 CF package.

The HVAC was in front of the shifter. I just set the climate control in there for the time being. The problem is I don’t have the mounting bits and pieces to properly mount it.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:36 PM
Borg
Rennlist Member

here is the support frame you need... normally when you install a double DIN, it tells you to dremel out the middle section... this has the cage for you to properly slot the HVAC controls up top and radio in the bottom...

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...231-11-01C-OEM

the ground wire you see there is a disable for the factory radio antitheft...

if you are missing the B-plug for the speakers,, it might be because you have a factory amp in the frunk... that means radio goes to amp and amp to speakers... do you have RCAs in the dash? you might have to try and source a missing B-plug and wire it up yourself
wow! Thanks for finding this dash piece. I’ll get this. For the B plug I don’t know what to do. Yes I have the amp in the frunk. I just know how to wire this.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 128 Posts

The a factory CF console. This car came with a $3000 CF package.

The HVAC was in front of the shifter. I just set the climate control in there for the time being. The problem is I don’t have the mounting bits and pieces to properly mount it.
That's what mine has. I would not be surprised if it was more than $3K. I was referring to the front part where the console used to be. I don't believe that is a factory part?

I replaced my CF ashtray with the optional bin and painted it to match the shifter U shaped trim to break up the CF a little bit.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:17 PM
Borg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
That's what mine has. I would not be surprised if it was more than $3K. I was referring to the front part where the console used to be. I don't believe that is a factory part?

I replaced my CF ashtray with the optional bin and painted it to match the shifter U shaped trim to break up the CF a little bit.

oh yeah, that center console is from Rennline.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:57 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

wow! Thanks for finding this dash piece. I’ll get this. For the B plug I don’t know what to do. Yes I have the amp in the frunk. I just know how to wire this.
@Borg i'm pretty sure this is what you need.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:54 AM
Borg
Rennlist Member

@Borg i'm pretty sure this is what you need.

I have this, it works in my ‘99 996, but for my 2001 it doesn’t. The difference is there is a three plug combo connector. If I disconnect the yellow and plug it into the yellow connector on the harness. Then plug everything into the radio. There is an empty space on the back of the radio where the yellow connector was because its now plugged into the harness.

When I do this there is power but no sound.

When I don’t use the harness and just plug in the radio, same thing there is power but no sound and since I am not using the harness I have no brown plug👇👇👇

Last edited by Borg; 03-26-2024 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:25 PM
Borg
Rennlist Member

Bergvill in Norway just sent me this:

We have done several attempts to make a harness for use in PCM-equipped vehicles.

As far as we know, does the PCM head unit communicate with the amplifier by means of a digital interface. We have no idea how to replicate this communication, and the Continental units certainly have no possibility for this.
There may be several types of PCM units, and some of them may not have this communication system.
However, the expected sales numbers of a harness would be very low, maybe one or two per year. Very, very few people want to change from the 2-DIN PCM to a 1-DIN type of head unit.
Anyway, we have too much time on this, and have abandoned the idea of a harness.
I am therefore unable to help you in your endeavours.

Any ideas? Anyone happen to know of a DIN radio that just plugs in?
Old 03-26-2024, 03:43 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

i think you can use something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37368966800...Bk9SR4rW_sDPYw

otherwise you will need to find a junk dismantler and get them to cut you a harness off a car... then run the speaker leads to the amp in the frunk...

are you sure you don't have RCAs in there? they would of had to pull the speaker output from one of the harnesses... what radio did you have in there previously, can you take a pic of the back?

Quick Reply: DDIN -DIN conversion for GT3 console delete