Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Seat INstallation question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 10:29 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 330 Posts

I only run the Euro GT3 seat on the drivers side. That way I still have a reclining passenger seat so it makes it much easier, and safer, for my son to get in/out of the back seat. If I was carrying two kids in the back, I wouldn't put these in. theprf is right, it's an SAE bolt. I also agree with just buying the BK plates, use the stock bolt with them to put the seat belt receptacle on, there, you're done.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:36 PM
jcc0016
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernard IV
Is the bolt the problem? I thought the buckle was too tight between the bolster and the console. Also these seats effectively turn your car into a 2 seater. With mine on factory sliders if I put one all the way forward and one all the way back I can just barely fit between them in the middle. I don't think the GT3 seats are any more forgiving. If I were in the back and there was an emergency I don't think I could get out of the car in a reasonably safe amount of time.

Its two-fold (unlike the seats...), bolt is binding on the bottom to the tunnel and is tight between the seatbelt receiver and the console.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:38 PM
jcc0016
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theprf
I am pretty sure they are actually an SAE 7/16-20 bolt.

Thanks. I have a couple on order, hopefully this does the trick.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:49 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by jcc0016
Thanks for the info. Would the sliders from a 993 also be the same?
No.
993 sliders are flat.
996 are not (angled at front where they bolt to floor pan)

Old 04-26-2024, 02:54 PM
jcc0016
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Other than not being angled, do you know if dimensionally they are the same?
Old 04-28-2024, 08:38 AM
jcc0016
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcc0016
Thanks. Other than not being angled, do you know if dimensionally they are the same?
I ask because I have two sets of OEM sliders. The ones I installed had the front tabs that I too thought were a little flat, but was able to mount them. I also have a set that came with the seats and were out of a 996.
I installed the other set as they were NOS and in better shape, but if there is a dimensional difference between the 993 and 996 sliders, maybe the 993 ones are slightly wider? Not in the track width, but in the width of the seat mount uprights and could be cause of the tightness between the console and the seat belt receiver?
Old 04-28-2024, 11:08 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 330 Posts

I suggest installing the seats with the sliders they came with and seeing how they fit. It's very possible you've been banging your head against the wall this entire time because you've been using the wrong sliders...
Old 04-28-2024, 12:10 PM
jcc0016
Rennlist Member

The SAE button screw helped, and the seats slide with some effort but much better than previously. Although the two SAE screws were $10 each plus shipping, still a way better option than trying to go OEM.

Josh, I may swap the sliders next winter, just want to be able to drive it now that’s the weathers improving here and get it to a mech to install a set of ohlins.
Old 04-28-2024, 02:14 PM
jcc0016
Rennlist Member

FINALLY SOLVED!!! Ok so after months of frustration and taking the seats in and out multiple times (thank god they only weigh a fraction of the comfort seats) I finally figured it out! As ya'll know I spent sooooo much time focused on the hardware of the belt receiver and never game much thought to the sliders or the seats as I was able to mount them. I considered if they were the right models or even drivers vs. passenger but hadn't given it much thought because again I was able to get them mounted and the adjuster lever was on the correct side. I thought about swapping out to the other set of sliders I have, so there I sat in the back seat of my car staring at the back of the seat and slides trying to figure out what I was missing. I think by sitting scrunched in that back seat must has pushed additional blood supply to my brain and spurred additional thoughts. Thinking back to the beginning, both sets of the recaro sliders I had were disassembled and I had put them together. When I thought I bout that I wondered if I may have assembled them incorrectly. While everyone so far has mentioned left and right, driver and passenger, no one had asked if I had them inside, outside correctly. In looking at the backs of the sliders, the side mounts are NOT the same. One bows out more than the other and on both seats, I had the larger bowed side mounted tunnel side of the seat and the and the belt receiver mounted to that side. Wondering if I would gain more clearance if I would swap the side mounts and swap the adjuster levers to the correct sides, I decided to pull the seats, yet again, completely disassemble seats, sliders, belt receivers and start from the beginning. 30 min later, (its down to a science now) seats were back in and now slide smoothly with plenty of clearance! Just need to reattach the belt to the floor and I am done. What a crazy adventure but glad it is finally resolved and do not have to live with the binding while trying to slide it. The only unfortunate thing be sides having lost so much time, was that the center console coating has suffered a number of rub marks from the belt receiver when it was binding. Picture of the side mounts to follow.... Thanks all for your help.
The following users liked this post:
Asmig (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 02:25 PM
jcc0016
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: GT3 Seat INstallation question