Sponsored by:

Door Lock Won't Open Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 06:25 PM
Nola05
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Door Lock Won't Open Adventure

I know that other people have been through this, but just wanted to share my experience so that someone else can learn from my mistakes.
I came back from the holidays and couldn’t get into the car. Thankfully it was parked in my garage!

1) The car sat for two weeks with the doors locked.
2) Tried to open using the key fob, won’t open.
3) Per p18 of the manual, tried to open the door with the mechanical key in the door still won’t open. Tried using different key, flipping the key using “both sides”, pulling up on the handle then turning key. Nothing.
4) Got into the frunk, put battery on tender and gave it a full charge. Still nothing will open it.
5) Key fob light turns red when I hit the unlock button, so I think the fob battery is good.
6) I disconnected the car battery. Left if disconnected for two hours and then hooked it back up. KEY FOB OPENS THE DOORS!!!
7) Got into the car, she started right up and we went for a drive.
8) FYI – I disconnected the alarm horn before reconnecting the battery.

Lesson learned: Check that your mechanical door lock will actually open the door BEFORE you leave the car parked up. My key will not mechanically open the door, so add it to the project list. So glad I discovered this in the safety of my own garage and not somewhere like an airport parking garage.
The following users liked this post:
vtec_ (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 06:51 PM
17ram2500
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 115 Posts

I always leave my drivers window rolled down when the car is parked. Sure, I suppose it's easier to steal, but if they want it, they're taking it...

Peace of mind... car is unlocked and window is down. When it sits more than a week, the trickle charger goes on it too.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:51 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 351 Posts

For better or worse, I don't lock my car when it's inside my garage. I also have the frunk open slightly as I have the battery tender hooked up

Quick Reply: Door Lock Won't Open Adventure