Sponsored by:

What wing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 11:19 AM
11earl
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FRUNKenstein
Don't worry - there will be another one come along. The hunt is half the fun - don't rush it. Wait for the right car. And, this is an excellent time of the year to buy a 996tt. Prices on sportscars in general go down in the fall & winter, then as soon as the first nice day comes in the spring, everybody gets spring car-buying fever. So, it's a buyer's market from now until about the end of January.

You'll find that as you search, you will get to know the market really well. You will see the same cars languishing on the market for weeks and months because either there's something wrong with the car, or more likely, because it's simply over-priced. And, you'll get to where you're pretty confident that a car is a good one from the ads, pictures and speaking with the seller. Not saying you won't need a PPI, just that you can eliminate the stinkers without a PPI. Then, when you see a good car at the right price, you'll feel comfortable committing to it. For mine, it was listed by a private seller the day after Labor Day 2015 at about 8:00 am. I placed a non-refundable $1,000 deposit on it by 1:00 pm that same day. I flew out to New York to test drive it 4 days later and drove it home on Monday morning after the wire transfer cleared. But, I had been hawking the market since March, so I knew when it popped up on eBay that there was a very high likelihood that was the car I would buy. The seller told me after the deal was done that had I not put down the $1,000 non-refundable deposit, he could have sold it for more money to at least 3 or 4 other buyers. So, the moral of the story is to get to know the market well, don't rush, be patient, so that when the right car comes along, you'll know it and be prepared to act on it right away.
Thanks Frunck - I'm very patient and am doing just as you suggest. The most important takeaway for me from your post is that once one finds "the one", don't mess around!
The following users liked this post:
FRUNKenstein (10-26-2023)