Sponsored by:

Did I buy a counterfeit MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 03:57 PM
Nola05
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Did I buy a counterfeit MAF?

My car has 102K miles. I believe the MAF to be the original. No record of it being replaced. I was having a "cold engine" issue where as I was pulling out of my neighborhood, the car sometimes dies at idle. Starts right back up again. And when warmed up, there is no problem. Idle is pretty steady and where it should be.

I tried cleaning the MAF but that didn't work. So I bought a new one on Amazon for $160. The box looks like the OEM Bosch original. Part numbers are what they should be. The part looks identical to the original one. I installed the new one, it started up just fine. The engine did not die at idle. But now the car has a hot idle problem. After a spirited drive in hot weather, when idling in the garage the car started hunting between 500 and about 1800 RPM. It almost dies at the 500 mark but it catches itself and then the idle spike.

I took out the new one and put the old one back in for now. Is there some way to tell if the one I bought is counterfeit? Or are they sometimes just defective out of the box?
Old 10-22-2023, 06:00 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 259 Posts

Ran into Chinese counterfit MAF's and fuel pumps from German Car Parts suppliers. Mission critical parts like this I only buy from Porsche Dealers or a reputable OEM supplier.
Old 10-23-2023, 11:32 AM
Nola05
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Mission critical parts like this I only buy from Porsche Dealers or a reputable OEM supplier.[/QUOTE]
Do you have a reputable OEM supplier you can share?
Thanks, Sam
Old 10-23-2023, 05:22 PM
Lazurus
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I also have tried Asian replica MAFS with mixed success and have not bothered for years with them. My current OEM Bosch has been trouble free for probably ten years now. The issue was with the knock-offs that if you pinged the rev limiter ( mine is at 7200 ) it will fry them instantly.

As to where to source a new OEM Bosch? Any reputable parts outlet eg Suncoast ,Pelican, RM European, AZ AutoHaus etc will supply you OEM parts and not BS stuff. I think they're up to about $250! though these days. I'm sure glad I don't need a new one at that price. That's nuts.
Old 11-03-2023, 12:09 PM
Nola05
Intermediate

After going many rounds with Amazon, they agreed to let me return the part. I have to pay a $30 restocking fee. Better than nothing. Bought a real one from FCP Euro that should be here soon! Everything on the Amazon site led me to believe that I was buying directly from Bosch, but I contacted them and they do not sell a single part on Amazon.

Quick Reply: Did I buy a counterfeit MAF?