Help is welcome: Low beam HID with dead spot in light pattern

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 06:59 PM
biarritzwhite
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Help is welcome: Low beam HID with dead spot in light pattern

Hi everyone, new user from Norway here.
After reading the forum already as a guest since a few month and got great insight pre purchase of my 2001 biarritz white turbo, I am now in need for some insight of something I cant seem to figure out. Tried search and pick brains on my instagram account but could not find a similar issue, nor an answer.

Here to my question:
My passenger side HID/Xenon light has a black spot in its beam pattern and the light intensity between driver and passenger side clearly is different. So far I have tried the following:
  • Adjust beam angle (no improvement)
  • swap out bulbs (no improvement/change)
  • Car was originally delivered to Japan and now lives in Norway, hence I was wondering if it has to do with the beam settings for left hand driving. I flicked the switch for the O/T in the headlight but it does not resolve anything.
  • My strongest hunch so far is that the reflector bowl might be damaged/dirty. But its very hard to see without opening the lense completely. I managed to wipe it with some micro fiber through the bulb opening which resulted in no dirt or grime on the cloth, so seems ok. From what I can see through the bulb opening, it seems clean and not burned or similar.
So what am I missing here? Does someone have an idea what might cause this?
I would like to have this working so I can see more then with a candle in the night and not hitting a moose Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Attached some images that show the issue.

Dead spot on the passenger side, as well as visible on bowl. drivers side seems ok
Old 03-17-2023, 09:10 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Focus issue. Bulb isn't seating in the correct location.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:37 PM
Asmig
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

The reflector bowl's coating is probably damaged. I replaced mine with upgraded projector housings, it was a very nice improvement for light output and beam cutoff.

https://retrofitlab.com/collections/...hid-headlights
The following users liked this post:
biarritzwhite (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 07:03 AM
biarritzwhite
7th Gear

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Focus issue. Bulb isn't seating in the correct location.
I checked that thoroughly and its perfectly seated. Thanks for the reply
Old 03-18-2023, 07:07 AM
biarritzwhite
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Asmig
The reflector bowl's coating is probably damaged. I replaced mine with upgraded projector housings, it was a very nice improvement for light output and beam cutoff.

https://retrofitlab.com/collections/...hid-headlights
You might be right, I will have to figure out a good way to confirm this before I go down the complete disassembly route. I did check retrofitlab previously and the swap procedure seems a bit daunting to me, as well as I know how many cables there are on the Xenon variant. Knowing the pricetag for a new headlight I'm a bit worried to screw this one up...
Thanks for the reply and the link. I will dwell a bit on this one

Quick Reply: Help is welcome: Low beam HID with dead spot in light pattern