Help! Transmission bolted back to Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 01:42 PM
17ram2500
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Help! Transmission bolted back to Engine

Folks...

I've done a lot of mechanic work on a lot of different types of vehicles, from Triumph TR6's to Ram diesels to Volvos and Nissans, Jeeps. This Porsche is getting me the dirty though.

Here's the deal:

Engine out, and on table, firmly support. Rebuilt trans in place, GT2 slave mod completed including (thanks Aaron) the clearancing required for the new shift fork.

I get everything aligned and it goes on to within 3/4 to 1/2" of being completed seated. At this point it becomes very difficult to push. And then you hear a magical "ting".

No, it's no the clutch fork. That is behaving. What's happening is the release bearing is coming apart. Somehow we are applying enough pressure on the release bearing that it's snap ring in the back comes off, and it all falls apart.

No one, anywhere, indicates they've had this issue. I've studied the diagrams from Porsche and from the installer. Everything appears to be assembled correctly, but this has now happened 3x.
what in the world am I missing?

The clutch kit (including GT2 conversion) was bought from Kevin and Ultimate Motorwerks, so I presume (perhaps incorrectly) that all of the parts are correct, but so far as I can tell they are. He sold me the new shift folk, the clutch, DM flywheel, a Sachs 2.5 pressure plate, and associated hardware.

Thoughts????
Old 11-25-2022, 10:06 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 353 Posts

what part numbers are on the release bearing? wonder if you have one for a single mass... takes alot of force to make that happen..
Old 11-25-2022, 10:45 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Yes, part#'s and pictures of assembled flywheel/clutch/release assembly.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:06 PM
17ram2500
Rennlist Member

OK... here's the current setup. DMFW, (appears stock), clutch disc (stock GT2) and the PP.

Followed this for assembling the throwout bearing:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tallation.html

Seems to be correct in comparison to the old throwout bearing on the old PP; still assembled.

Parts laid out

new release bearing:

New Clutch fork to replace for GT2 setup

New shaft pin and release bearing

Laid out for setup and compression in the vice

shims installed

Wave spring installed

fitted into PP

flat side washer against the fingers of the PP. Groove and bevel. The spring clip in this one has an orientation "key" so that you really can't install this washer the wrong direction unless you're really not paying attention.

Notice "key" below and there is a gap in the spring that fits in that location.

In the vise - could almost do by hand with me standing on it, but it wouldn't quite clip in fully.

where we started.

Fully seated.

Bolted to the new flywheel.

I do not have pics of the clutch disc, but I can get them later if need be. I've got to take this off again.

When you install the transmission, it goes pretty smoothly until you hit the ring gear, and then it becomes a little more challenging. Things are engaged properly as if you turn the crank, the trans output rotates, so we are engaged in the splines and clutch.

If you get it past the marks on the ring gear and close to the trigger wheel for the crank sensor, (and it is very difficult to move forward at this point). No bolts used, just hand pressure, but it's very difficult to move - then you will hear a "ting ting"... and the whole release bearing falls apart and looks like this:

At which point you become very mad and want to throw things. It's rare I'm beaten by anything in life - much less a dang mechanical object that I am well in my purview of getting fixed.

Presently, this is how it sits....

I really wonder if my throwout/cluchfork combo is correct. The throwout arm stays where it should throughout this process.

The following users liked this post:
paopao (11-27-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 02:17 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Originally Posted by 17ram2500
OK... here's the current setup. DMFW, (appears stock), clutch disc (stock GT2) and the PP.

Followed this for assembling the throwout bearing:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tallation.html

Seems to be correct in comparison to the old throwout bearing on the old PP; still assembled.

Parts laid out

new release bearing:

New Clutch fork to replace for GT2 setup

New shaft pin and release bearing

Laid out for setup and compression in the vice

shims installed

Wave spring installed

fitted into PP
flat side washer against the fingers of the PP. Groove and bevel. The spring clip in this one has an orientation "key" so that you really can't install this washer the wrong direction unless you're really not paying attention.

Notice "key" below and there is a gap in the spring that fits in that location.

In the vise - could almost do by hand with me standing on it, but it wouldn't quite clip in fully.
where we started.
Fully seated.
Bolted to the new flywheel.
I do not have pics of the clutch disc, but I can get them later if need be. I've got to take this off again.
When you install the transmission, it goes pretty smoothly until you hit the ring gear, and then it becomes a little more challenging. Things are engaged properly as if you turn the crank, the trans output rotates, so we are engaged in the splines and clutch.
If you get it past the marks on the ring gear and close to the trigger wheel for the crank sensor, (and it is very difficult to move forward at this point). No bolts used, just hand pressure, but it's very difficult to move - then you will hear a "ting ting"... and the whole release bearing falls apart and looks like this:
At which point you become very mad and want to throw things. It's rare I'm beaten by anything in life - much less a dang mechanical object that I am well in my purview of getting fixed.
Presently, this is how it sits....
I really wonder if my throwout/cluchfork combo is correct. The throwout arm stays where it should throughout this process.
Your parts are correct.
That ring is on upside down. The finger is supposed to fit in between two spring leaves of the pressure plate.
When the ring is on correctly the wire snap ring will drop into a substantial groove. That's why it keeps coming apart. The snap ring is not getting totally seated.
The following 4 users liked this post by theprf:
17ram2500 (11-26-2022), Carlo_Carrera (11-26-2022), harlanmott3 (11-29-2022), paopao (11-27-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 02:21 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 353 Posts

^this

Last edited by 993GT; 11-26-2022 at 02:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 993GT:
17ram2500 (11-26-2022), harlanmott3 (11-29-2022), paopao (11-27-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 03:03 PM
17ram2500
Rennlist Member

Ah ok. Thank you fellas. Love the experts here.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:18 PM
17ram2500
Rennlist Member

So.... I got this back together the correct way. Thanks guys.

I appreciate it.
The following users liked this post:
LinwoodM (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 12:55 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,190 Likes on 3,169 Posts

Good patience on that; I most certainly would have been cursing a lot and throwing many things.

Happy it's back together for you, just in time to enjoy in the snow.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:14 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

Do you have the manuals? They come in very handy.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:50 AM
17ram2500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Good patience on that; I most certainly would have been cursing a lot and throwing many things.

Happy it's back together for you, just in time to enjoy in the snow.

It's not back together.... but... the release bearing is back on the PP.

LOL. (oh well, progress ). I'll update the other thread to show what was *really* going on.

Quick Reply: Help! Transmission bolted back to Engine