996tt exhaust soundwise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 05:04 AM
emile
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996tt exhaust soundwise?

Hello,
Looking for new exhaust to my 996 turbo. In my ears, there are two different types of sound from a car.

1. The Formula one sound, no base, only treble and the sound can cut through glass. It almost hurt in your ears.

2. The V12 sound, dark and with a lot of base.

I've read a few posts here and I can't decide which exhaust is best if you DON'T want your car to sound like a formula one car, I want my car to sound more like a V12, dark, and loud.

Hope you can help me

Thanks
Old 04-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Emile - I have a Fabspeed Super Sport on my GT2. It comes with 100 cell race cats and the construction looks like it was built by a musical instrument company. It is pretty loud but it has a lovely low pitch. If you have ever heard a GT3 RSR race car, the sound is the same only less loud.

You can hear it on the fabspeed web site. I sent him two clips one on track and the other on the street. www.fabspeed.com
Click on GT2/996TT and scroll down to the video clips of a red GT2. You might find it a little too much for a street car. You'll hear the turbos spooling quite clearly on the street clip. If it is too much, he has a quieter version. The GT2 and 996 TT exhaust systems are the same.

Enjoy

Bob
Old 04-19-2004, 03:26 PM
seravi
Track Day

My vote goes to Europipe Stage II - the loud version, needless to say. It is disgustingly heavenly. Surf to http://www.europipe.be/content/Video.html and finish your search there.

Ps. Only one complaint: Had to freeze my butt off, driving windows open during the winter just to hear the sweet nectar bellowing from the exhaust
Old 04-19-2004, 03:28 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Im selling my Fabspeed Super Sport if interested...under 1600 miles on it...I love it but only selling cause selling my TT
Old 04-21-2004, 12:38 AM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

MS, Please email me with details. How much, how many miles, etc.
Any resonance?, etc. Cats and which type included. I'll see John at the Porsche Swap this Sat.
regards,
Steve
Old 04-21-2004, 07:44 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

e-mail sent
Old 04-26-2004, 04:00 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for a muffler bypass.
Forget exhausts.
Waste of money.
The Turbo has the added benefit of having the Turbos, to baffle some of the sound, so when you are really on it, it isn't as load as it is at idle.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:39 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Here is a soundclip of our sport exhaust with cat bypasses:
FVD Sport Exhaust (Please Right Click and "Save As"
Old 04-28-2004, 04:27 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by AMG ETR
Here is a soundclip of our sport exhaust with cat bypasses:
FVD Sport Exhaust (Please Right Click and "Save As"
Sounds nice

How does the "sport" version compare to the other "sound" version from FVD? I assume the sport version is a little louder? Does it have 100 cell cats? What is the "export" version?

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:18 PM
seravi
Track Day

I would've gone also for the bypass pipes from FVD (Germany), but there's some tradeoffs with it:

1. It's *very* loud and at least in most of Europe would get you into troubles. With the bypass pipes you'll also get flagged out of many racing tracks in Europe. There's only a very few which allow this kind of noisy cars (Dijon Prenois for instance).

2. Unless you do something about the lambda sensors, you will get a 'check engine' light. Also for cars under warranty, if you've the light on and you're ignoring it, it will show up on the logs when your car is being serviced.

I personally would've had no problem with the noise level, but given the above.. Well..
Old 04-28-2004, 03:28 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Ray:Were you able to watch it?? I just clicked it and realized I wrote the link wrong Here it is incase....
FVD Exhaust (Export)(Please right click and "Save As")
Our Exhausts go as follows:
TUV Exhaust:Quiet Version with either 200 or 100 cell cats
Export Exhaust:Louder Version with either 100cell or cat bypass pipes
Muffler Bypass Pipes:Extremely Loud with either 100 cell or cat bypass pipes.
The one in that video is my Export exhaust with the cat bypass pipes. It still has no resonence unlike my previous exhausts.

seravi:I am guessing you are talking about the muffler bypass pipes?? If so, yes you are correct, I was running straight pipes on my car for about 2 weeks before I pulled them off due to a lot of headaches. If you are talking about Cat Bypasses with a muffler then that is incorrect. Cat Bypasses really don't add too much sound, they just make the turbos spool much quicker.... The ideal setup is cat and muffler bypasses for spool, but it is just too loud for the street (and most club racing events).

PS-YOU MUST RUN FVD SOFTWARE WITH CAT BYPASS PIPES!! Otherwise the CEL will be on!!!

Last edited by AMG ETR; 04-28-2004 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:58 PM
seravi
Track Day

Evan, yes sorry for not being clear enough. I was considering the FVD sport exhaust (210 111 996 22) with the catalytic bypass pipes and from what I could gather, it would've landed me in whole lot of trouble (noise and pollution wise). Let alone the shooting flames.

Straight pipes to skip the catalytic converters and the muffler really never were an option.

Anyone have any numbers (dB) for all the different exhausts? Here's a few interesting picks from the Europipe site:

Stock Stage2Loud
Idle 71 77
4000rpm 98 103
6000rpm 101 108
Old 04-28-2004, 04:22 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by seravi
Evan, yes sorry for not being clear enough. I was considering the FVD sport exhaust (210 111 996 22) with the catalytic bypass pipes and from what I could gather, it would've landed me in whole lot of trouble (noise and pollution wise). Let alone the shooting flames.

Straight pipes to skip the catalytic converters and the muffler really never were an option.

Anyone have any numbers (dB) for all the different exhausts? Here's a few interesting picks from the Europipe site:

Stock Stage2Loud
Idle 71 77
4000rpm 98 103
6000rpm 101 108
Our exhaust with 100cell or no cat sounds exactly the same. The only way you would notice a difference is if you were really listening for it... My Turbo Cab had the Export exhaust with 100 cell and I have it with Cat Bypass and I never notice a difference...
As for polution, well thats another story
I don't have the DB numbers here but I will put in a request to Germany for some and hopefully I will get some back.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by AMG ETR
Ray:Were you able to watch it?? I just clicked it and realized I wrote the link wrong Here it is incase....
FVD Exhaust (Export)(Please right click and "Save As")
Our Exhausts go as follows:
TUV Exhaust:Quiet Version with either 200 or 100 cell cats
Export Exhaust:Louder Version with either 100cell or cat bypass pipes
Muffler Bypass Pipes:Extremely Loud with either 100 cell or cat bypass pipes.
The one in that video is my Export exhaust with the cat bypass pipes. It still has no resonence unlike my previous exhausts.
Last week I ordered FVD 210 111 996 10 - which is the quiet version. I haven't received it yet. So you think the sound is about the same between that and the 100-cell cat system? (I that is 210 111 996 20).
Old 04-28-2004, 09:48 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

The FVD 210 111 996 10 is the TUV version with 200 cell cats. Almost everyone keeps the 200 cell cats with that system to keep the noise down. The system is designed for the 200 cell cats, but some people insist on 100cell with the kit. I reccomend you leave it the way it is with the 200's.... I am waiting on 4 of those exhausts from Germany for customers, they have been selling like crazy lately. We have 5 Exports in stock, but none of the TUV's. I will have to check delivery date on those and I can let you know. PM me your full name so I can check the order for you!!

Quick Reply: 996tt exhaust soundwise?