Sponsored by:

996tt vs GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Craig - if it's about track by a GT(x). The turbo is too heavy and too soft. Brakes are an issue - they do not stand up to serious track speeds.

I have both a GT2 and a 3. The 3 is a better buy and on a 2.5 mile track only 3 seconds slower. If you can afford it the 2 is faster and more challenging to drive. No neither is a race car but would you really drive a full bore race care on the street? For racing nothing beats a race car. It's like the first rule of gun fighting "bring a gun". For street use the TT is a better deal. It's about compromise the GT is tilted towards the track and the TT towards the "executive express" end of the scale. All are superb cars.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:48 AM
craigsduc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, you hit it on the nose. I,m happy to say I am now an owner of a GT car I went out today after finding an 03 GT2 Silver/Natural Grey. I,ve driven a GT3, an X 50, a few 996tt,s..............but my god.............the GT2 seems to be what I wanted. I didnt drive the car before I actually bought it. I had the salesman drive it with me per my request. I knew by the ride it was my car. Driving home on PCH, the car and I bonded and by the end of the night, 100 miles had been added to the clock, My wife followed me home in her chili red Cooper S and kept calling me on her cell phone saying how awesome the car looked on the road. She had no idea just how awesome the car really is.....did she? I took her for a ride and blew her mind. My 26 year old son was equally impressed. I already have received a pair of Recaros and a bar so I can take them on the track with me. Its funny but I plan on getting this car down prior to taking passengers on the track with me. It is to me like a wild stallion.........rideable but it will take a firm hand to control....but the ride will be intoxicating. I never flinched when people wanted to go on the track with me when I had a highly modified 944 in POC but this car is quite different. almost 2 1/2 times the horsepower without 50/50 chassis. I wanted a car that would not be easy to drive very fast. It would be an occaisional car so daily comfort wasn.t needed. It needed to be more rare than most other Porsches for a few reasons. It needed to prove to be financially acceptable. This barely used (3800 mile) silver GT2 has exceeded all my expectations. I highly advise anyone looking for an exceptional road & track car to buy one! All I need now is a lot of seat time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,to get my "pilots license"............so I can safely take passengers where no "E Ticket" could.............................
Old 04-23-2004, 06:39 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

craigsduc,

Congrats on the prchase! Welcome to trhe club.

Let's hook at TOW sometime soon.

Do you have a ducati?

Codered
Old 04-28-2004, 03:19 PM
JP Schnitzer
Instructor

I've driven both extensively....on track and on street...Here in Colorado there is no question that the Turbo is THE choice as far as street worthiness goes....The GT3's low clearance, stiff suspension, and NA motor (remember at 5400ft, the GT3 will be 15% down on power) lose out to the all wheel, altitude ignoring, higher ride height Turbo.....With the Turbo you can just jump in, drive all over the place at ridiculous speeds and enjoy....GT3, requires a more dedicated approach to street driving, as certain driveways, rough roads would have to be avoided.....However, at the track, we have a much different story...There, the GT3 is in it's element, and the Big heavy Turbo starts to show it's weight.....Turbo still fun at the track however, but does not have the depth at the track that the GT3 does. Both great cars, and it's a fun dilemma to have...BTW, I drove my X-50 to work today....man does it set the day off right!
Old 05-04-2004, 03:31 AM
silverTTcab
Track Day

craigsduc

the 03 x50 was for sale by gem motors in sunset? the silver one? i thought about getting that one!

congrats on the GT3!

I'm loving my new turbo cab!

spent a good chunk of change getting 19" hre's, b&M ssk, car graphics side skirts, painted bumperettes, etc...

sigh....
Old 05-04-2004, 11:29 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally posted by jmmitias

.....The GT3 is razor sharp, agile, fun, sounds beautiful, exciting and more dangerous. It does not suffer fools. There is still some understeer on initial turn-in but the transitions are more manageable, once you are accustomed to it. The controls including steering, clutch take-up, shifter, throttle and braking are other-worldly. It demands a lot of you and will deliver big-time if you take the time to learn how to use it. However, it is nervous on uneven surfaces and tramlines like crazy. It maybe a daily driver in Florida or some other utopia but in north MS it will beat you to death. Maybe, I'm just a puss.

The TT is like a quartz watch and the GT3 is like a mechanical watch, both tell time but the mechanical watch requires a little more care. The TT is like the wife who can cook, clean and take care of your children and the GT3 is like a high maintenance hot mistress. You go screw the mistress and go back home to the loving, caring wife(tell me when you find one)....

What a great review! If you do not already write for a auto mag you need to!
Old 05-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Gt3Nut
Intermediate

The GT3 has a great novelty factor until that wears off quickly. The TT in the end a better package for the road. Its in gear acceleration is much !!much faster. The gt3 has to be driven at 10/10 tenths to wring out all its power. the Turbo always has good power , no matter the gear or rpm.

It also handles (4wd) much better on typical street conditions. I added euro spec springs and it drives more like a gt3 with out the tramlining.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:51 PM
s993s
Banned

Originally posted by Zippy
I will never own a vehicle again that is not force fed.
You just haven't driven a good NA car...

F1 cars are super boring I hear.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,875 Likes on 2,404 Posts

Gt3Nut

if your GT3 is tramlining, you have too aggressive an alignment for street. TT with euro spec sping will not feel like GT3. try moton double adj.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:30 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Originally posted by craigsduc
Bob, you hit it on the nose. I,m happy to say I am now an owner of a GT car I went out today after finding an 03 GT2 Silver/Natural Grey. I,ve driven a GT3, an X 50, a few 996tt,s..............but my god.............the GT2 seems to be what I wanted. I didnt drive the car before I actually bought it. I had the salesman drive it with me per my request. I knew by the ride it was my car. Driving home on PCH, the car and I bonded and by the end of the night, 100 miles had been added to the clock, My wife followed me home in her chili red Cooper S and kept calling me on her cell phone saying how awesome the car looked on the road. She had no idea just how awesome the car really is.....did she? I took her for a ride and blew her mind. My 26 year old son was equally impressed. I already have received a pair of Recaros and a bar so I can take them on the track with me. Its funny but I plan on getting this car down prior to taking passengers on the track with me. It is to me like a wild stallion.........rideable but it will take a firm hand to control....but the ride will be intoxicating. I never flinched when people wanted to go on the track with me when I had a highly modified 944 in POC but this car is quite different. almost 2 1/2 times the horsepower without 50/50 chassis. I wanted a car that would not be easy to drive very fast. It would be an occaisional car so daily comfort wasn.t needed. It needed to be more rare than most other Porsches for a few reasons. It needed to prove to be financially acceptable. This barely used (3800 mile) silver GT2 has exceeded all my expectations. I highly advise anyone looking for an exceptional road & track car to buy one! All I need now is a lot of seat time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,to get my "pilots license"............so I can safely take passengers where no "E Ticket" could.............................
Your dealer was going to let you take the GT2 out on a test drive WITHOUT him?? Where is this dealer in CA? All the Porsche dealers I know of in CA won't let anyone out in anything (even a '97 base Boxster) without a salesman! Also, few will allow the GT3/GT2 to be driven AT ALL...

I'm a little confused - you put the order in for the GT3, then drove the GT2 and ordered that? So are you ending up with the GT2, then?

Quick Reply: 996tt vs GT3