Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Schedule - 1y or 2yr?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 06:00 PM
Babyray
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 73 Posts

Mine goes in a 55 gallon drum . Mix it with Deisel and spray it on corral boards , fence posts whatever .
Old 11-27-2021, 11:44 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah I'm glad all of you are recycling...but this is an extremely small sample and I would not draw conclusions about the entire world regarding recycling habits for used oil...My guess is you are the exception.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:07 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 300 Posts

I dump mine into a river where the salmon spawn.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:52 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 317 Posts

Nobody else just flushes it down the toilet?
Old 11-29-2021, 08:55 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,191 Likes on 3,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernard IV
I dump mine into a river where the salmon spawn.
Originally Posted by leftlane
Popular choices indeed.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:17 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 353 Posts

I save my used Mezger oil and throw it in M96's, it's like a booster shot for those engines

Originally Posted by Gt3stig
When I was daily driving my turbo I changed the oil and filter every 3500 miles. Trans and front dif at 10k.
same with my GT3 and 993.

the shop owner who did the oil change would save the oil for and use it to put in his old 4Runner.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:19 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
It’s amazing the things individuals, farms, and even government owned equipment get away with that companies spend millions avoiding. If a piece of equipment on my construction site spilled anything, I had to immediately remove the equipment from service, write a report detailing what was spilled and how much. Then I had to remove any soil underneath the equipment that came in contact with the spill, take it to a location I had prepared in advance with absorbent material and multiple layers of plastic and store it there until I brought a hazardous waste company out to remove it. Any runoff in a refinery that could contain oil gets collected in a dedicated sewer where it runs into a pond with special bacteria and enzymes that break down the oil. Yet individuals can just flush it. Not complaining, just stating facts. With this background knowledge, I do recycle everything I can. And people wonder why a gallon of gas costs so much. These costs get passed on.

Last edited by autobonrun; 11-29-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:50 PM
Babyray
Instructor

Originally Posted by autobonrun
It’s amazing the things individuals, farms, and even government owned equipment get away with that companies spend millions avoiding. If a piece of equipment on my construction site spilled anything, I had to immediately remove the equipment from service, write a report detailing what was spilled and how much. Then I had to remove any soil underneath the equipment that came in contact with the spill, take it to a location I had prepared in advance with absorbent material and multiple layers of plastic and store it there until I brought a hazardous waste company out to remove it. Any runoff in a refinery that could contain oil gets collected in a dedicated sewer where it runs into a pond with special bacteria and enzymes that break down the oil. Yet individuals can just flush it. Not complaining, just stating facts. With this background knowledge, I do recycle everything I can. And people wonder why a gallon of gas costs so much. These costs get passed on.
My question is: if you did spill a couple of quarts of oil on your construction site, why would you tell anyone. Clean it up and go back to work.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:13 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyray
My question is: if you did spill a couple of quarts of oil on your construction site, why would you tell anyone. Clean it up and go back to work.
Oh, the EPA fines on the owner for failure to report and mitigate were huge; in the five digits. This applies to both spills and airborne releases. With 2-3 hundred construction workers there is always one disgruntled worker more than happy to report you. Now if a worker just cleaned it up without telling management, there’s nothing we could do. But I think they enjoyed the work pause while it was being cleaned. It wasn’t me that made the spill, it would be one of the many construction workers; I was in management.

Last edited by autobonrun; 11-29-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:57 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 890 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyray
Depends on the size of the spill also. I deal with accidental leaks and if small you can do this, but if just enough, it creates a huge headache and is very expensive. It's funny considering how the ground was polluted for years from the defense contractors here but they claim ignorance due to time when it occurred saying no one knew better.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:01 PM
Babyray
Instructor

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Oh, the EPA fines on the owner for failure to report and mitigate were huge; in the five digits. This applies to both spills and airborne releases. With 2-3 hundred construction workers there is always one disgruntled worker more than happy to report you. Now if a worker just cleaned it up without telling management, there’s nothing we could do. But I think they enjoyed the work pause while it was being cleaned. It wasn’t me that made the spill, it would be one of the many construction workers; I was in management.
Got it. I was in residential housing construction my whole life doing custom homes, never saw anything like that. My son on the other hand is in the operator’s Union and has some pretty crazy stories about Cal Trans watch dogs they put in place on his jobs. Usually highly educated and severely under experienced telling a guy that’s spent half his life on a machine how to better his job.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Schedule - 1y or 2yr?