Oil Change Schedule - 1y or 2yr?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 04:27 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Really?
I change mine every fall before storage and I might do 4,000 km/year.
Maybe I should re-think it.
I think that schedule is very reasonable.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:35 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,191 Likes on 3,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I'm not sure about your logic.
So, any which way it goes, regardless of low mileage, I'll change the oil out on the MB, BMW, and the Porschi on an annual basis.

My logic is that even those these cars do not hit high mileages, I feel there is no harm in fresh oil and a fresh filter annually, get all the accumulated crap out of the engine, and what not.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:46 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Sorry, I don't see the logic in replacing (and disposing of) synthetic oil that likely will perform as intended for well over 15K miles. If your getting "crap" into your oil, that's a different story and a different issue.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:49 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Sorry, I don't see the logic in replacing (and disposing of) synthetic oil that likely will perform as intended for well over 15K miles. If your getting "crap" into your oil, that's a different story and a different issue.
^This
Old 11-22-2021, 04:51 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
So, any which way it goes, regardless of low mileage, I'll change the oil out on the MB, BMW, and the Porschi on an annual basis.
I'm questioning your "As a result, I have never suffered an oil related failure." logic.

Old 11-22-2021, 04:52 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

With the diesels, and even with secondary filtration, the moment they go off road, the oil gets dirty.

When I drove the 996 to Edmonton and back this summer, and through several construction sites, it was most certainly a little dirtier, but not as clean as only city driving would be.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:54 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That doesn't address your conclusions regarding oil change intervals (read: I have never suffered an oil related failure.)

Old 11-22-2021, 05:00 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm questioning your "As a result, I have never suffered an oil related failure." logic.
I am not easy on equipment.

I attribute my lack of oil related failures - scored cylinders, bearing failures, grunge, carbon build up, hi temps, starvation, towing, suspended particulate, valve train, rockers, lifters, (in the diesels, 6.0/4 oil controlled injection) etc. - all things that weigh heavy on the performance of oil, and engine, on the fact that I am very religious about changing the oil.

I, as I am sure many of the forum have seen in the past, oil related failures are typically catastrophic, and very final. To me, it is just cheap insurance. That's all.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:07 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I attribute my lack of oil related failures...on the fact that I am very religious about changing the oil.
Could be, but IMO probably not the reason why you haven't experienced any "oil related" failures.
The following users liked this post:
brontosaurus (02-25-2024)
Old 11-22-2021, 05:39 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
You’re absolutely correct and I’ve seen studies that showed no discernible differences in wear between taxis that changed oil every 6k miles versus those that went 40k miles. I can’t put my hands on the link right now.

With that said, I still do it annually knowing it’s not necessary. I look at it as just giving up one fancy dinner for two once a year. There are many things that make me feel better even when logic says it’s not mandatory. This fits into that category. It wasn’t as big an issue when I was paying $0.86 for a quart of Castrol. At $7.50 a quart for synthetic, I would have no problem extending the duration.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:55 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Could be, but IMO probably not the reason why you haven't experienced any "oil related" failures.
Originally Posted by autobonrun
You’re absolutely correct and I’ve seen studies that showed no discernible differences in wear between taxis that changed oil every 6k miles versus those that went 40k miles. I can’t put my hands on the link right now.

With that said, I still do it annually knowing it’s not necessary. I look at it as just giving up one fancy dinner for two once a year. There are many things that make me feel better even when logic says it’s not mandatory. This fits into that category. It wasn’t as big an issue when I was paying $0.86 for a quart of Castrol. At $7.50 a quart for synthetic, I would have no problem extending the duration.
That's interesting; in industrial applications, a good chunk of our forensic work comes from oil related/lubrication failures - mills, turbines, sodding great electric motors, etc.

Maybe a NYC cab actually lives a decent life...?
Old 11-22-2021, 05:55 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

I think that pushing the limit on oil will only come back to you at high mileage. You'll need a rebuild at 500,000 miles instead of 600,000 miles because of wear.
I can't see a catastrophic episode (go boom) because you changed your oil at 10K instead of 5K.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:36 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by autobonrun

Oh hey, no worries. I was just questioning the "logic". And the money isn't the issue. I would say data (yes I have seen multiple studies as you suggest) and possible effects on the environment (which I guess you can dispose of it properly...LOL) would be driving the logic.

But by all means you certainly can do what ever you want. Cheers and stay safe.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:40 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

That's interesting; in industrial applications, a good chunk of our forensic work comes from oil related/lubrication failures - mills, turbines, sodding great electric motors, etc.

Maybe a NYC cab actually lives a decent life...?
I absolutely agree there are many situations where the type, amount and cleanliness of the lubricant is essential...I'm just not sure it applies directly to autos. Like I implied, I have seen multiple studies with the actual data supporting the conclusions regarding synthetic oils in current technology automobiles.

And of course we all know where these dang oil threads lead...I think it's a better debate on the Bob's The Oil Guy's site.

Last edited by wross996tt; 11-22-2021 at 06:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dock (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 09:09 PM
epsilonphase
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for all the replies. for brevity, i went with 1yr (taking it into the indie tomorrow)

Quick Reply: Oil Change Schedule - 1y or 2yr?