Sponsored by:

Passed CA smog with no issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 09:03 PM
ceeyahd1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Passed CA smog with no issues

My registration is not due for 3 month but I wanted to make sure I did not run into any issues with the smog inspection. Yesterday I uninstalled the COBB tune and put it back to stock, checked I/M readiness and everything was OK. Went in this morning with my speedtech 2.5 with 100 cell cat exhaust left on the car and it passed with no issues. Up until yesterday I was worried about I/M readiness status but I am a little confused to why I did not have to drive the car for many miles to get everything to be ready as I have been reading for the last few weeks.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:17 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by ceeyahd1
My registration is not due for 3 month but I wanted to make sure I did not run into any issues with the smog inspection. Yesterday I uninstalled the COBB tune and put it back to stock, checked I/M readiness and everything was OK. Went in this morning with my speedtech 2.5 with 100 cell cat exhaust left on the car and it passed with no issues. Up until yesterday I was worried about I/M readiness status but I am a little confused to why I did not have to drive the car for many miles to get everything to be ready as I have been reading for the last few weeks.
why would you be confused, If your monitors are read "ready"?

that is the usual and primary source of difficulty. you must have good working cats as the "cat not ready" is frequent with aftermarket exhaust. "tune" doesn't matter.

my question is. how did you get a smog test 3 months before your reg expired? my recollection is getting a notice maybe 60 days max, before reg is due.

so, if you actually passed at a star test station? i'm buying you a proverbial beer. cheers.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:58 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 183 Posts

It’s not how many miles to clear readiness, but how you drive them. I also passed a Star one time with same setup. Went to a random spot in Central Valley driving up to Yosemite where the guy had probably never seen a Porsche. Next time home in SJ I decided to swap back to stock and am glad I did—the guy was all over the car with mirrors looking underneath. It’s a roll of the dice with some negative consequences if they catch you.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:29 AM
ceeyahd1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Reg. due in 2.5 month and received notice last week. Car passed at a star test station. For some reason I thought I would have to drive the car after uninstalling the tune to get the monitors in ready mode.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:56 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ceeyahd1
Reg. due in 2.5 month and received notice last week. Car passed at a star test station. For some reason I thought I would have to drive the car after uninstalling the tune to get the monitors in ready mode.
understood. i begin preparing for the bi-annual test the moment i get the reg notice. 1.5 years ago it took me a month to sort out a soft code ( o2 issue ) and cats "not ready" it's a battle every time for me.

sounds like you lucked out.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:08 PM
diverdog
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

Great news! There is a driving process that includes all of the states necessary for the drive train to hit all of the benchmarks to get the ECU to be ready. Its been five years since I took the Porsche off the road so I don't remember it but it cut the drive time way down to get ready states. The visual inspection is a PITA and stupid as long as the car runs clean but that's Cali for you.

For normal cars Las Vegas is easy as they just plug in. I had all kinds of crazy mods on my car including a flash and it passed as long as it reported ready. But for my motor home they make me pull the doghouse to look at the engine, plug in and use a sniffer. I have long tube headers and a flash on it and it passes OK. For my diesel Toureg or any 4 wheel drive diesel it goes on a 4 wheel dyno of which there is only one test station for the entire city! In most of the rural areas there is no emissions testing at all.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:28 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 358 Posts

Mine passed Colorado smog (OBD2 check) with my UMW tune and Soul Performance catted exhaust no sweat.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:15 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by diverdog
Great news! There is a driving process that includes all of the states necessary for the drive train to hit all of the benchmarks to get the ECU to be ready. Its been five years since I took the Porsche off the road so I don't remember it but it cut the drive time way down to get ready states.
yes, it's the same OBD reset protocol that BMW uses. if interrupted or you hit over 3k rpm or touch the brakes during the reset cycle, you have to start again.

i usually try it at 5 am no traffic. still a PITA.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:37 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Cali's visual inspection can be brutal. I know.
The following users liked this post:
Drinaldis (08-01-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 10:20 PM
BNasty
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine passed Cali smog and visual with 100 cell cats, cobb tune w/mafless setup (Sambo by design), intercoolers, turbos, etc.

All I did was reinstall the factory headers, intake setup and diverters.

I got all the required readiness monitors to pop in maybe 25 minutes using the drive cycle protocol.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:26 AM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I recently installed a Cobb tune but am otherwise stock. When I do a Durametric scan of "Ready Status," everything reads as Pass. Is there another section I should be reading to ensure emissions readiness? My emissions are due next month and was planning to uninstall the tune but wondering if I need to if everything reads as Pass. Thanks
Old 08-03-2020, 01:32 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
I recently installed a Cobb tune but am otherwise stock. When I do a Durametric scan of "Ready Status," everything reads as Pass. Is there another section I should be reading to ensure emissions readiness? My emissions are due next month and was planning to uninstall the tune but wondering if I need to if everything reads as Pass. Thanks
all that matters is the monitors being in "ready" mode. the only allowable "not ready" in CA is the "evap not ready" as the prevailing geniuses at CARB have made the determination that could be just a bad gas cap seal.

you don't need to mess with flashing back to the stock map or anything else if the dura reads all monitors "ready".

just make sure you don't land at some **** retentive smog test station with the "star" stuck up his a** as he could be overly inquisitive on the "visual" portion of the "test".

a "good" star station is one that plugs in their own obd reader, confirms you are "ready" prior to transmitting data - runs the test and then transmits the data to Sacto that helps fund the captured government and simply takes your 60 bucks. leaving you temporarily "free" to drive another day. GL w it.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:02 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 183 Posts

There was a https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...g-check-3.html post recently about someone getting caught out based up the checksums or some such not matching stock, so flashing back to stock may still be prudent even with readiness monitors all ok.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:01 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

yeah, little has improved since that thread.

Quick Reply: Passed CA smog with no issues