Sponsored by:

Is this the slave cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 07:10 PM
crash41301
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the slave cylinder?

I've got a leak happening under my car that appears to be brake or power steering fluid. It's certainly not water, coolant, or engine oil. The leak is happening right inside the frame rail inside the drivers front tire. I've attached a picture of the area I'm seeing it come from.

Alot of reading on the forum has suggested it to. E the clutch slave cylinder overflowing fluid into the clutch reservoir causing it to overflow. I tried putting a clean white rag under the clutch reservoir to see if that's happening and I got nothing. I cant exactly see too far up there from underneath given the coolant pipe in the way. I can see wetness coming from the two clutch lines, and also from the 4 brake lines.

Hoping someone can peek at my pictures and confirm or deny before i order this very expensive slave cylinder.

Many thanks!

Old 07-05-2020, 07:49 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 213 Posts

yes, it would appear to be the slave malfunctioning.

check the reservoir in the frunk also underneath the steering column inside the cabin. when its really bad it will leak inside as well.

you should be able to see enough fluid outside the reservoir alone to pinpoint the slave as you described. but those are indeed the symptoms and the fluid leak is correctly placed for what you describe.

if it isnt coolant, and is slightly viscous. pentosin it is. any change in clutch action? that usually occurs as well. slave/accumulator both.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:22 PM
crash41301
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clutch action has always been weird in this car so it's hard to say tbh. Maybe it's always been wonky the entire 4 or 5yrs I've owned the car. Leak just started though. Thanks for confirmation!
Old 07-05-2020, 10:06 PM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

To confirm it's Pentosin, it has a green tint to it (use a white cloth to see color). Note, Pentosin will ruin any rubber it gets on, thoroughly clean off.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:43 PM
F.A.
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

If you take off the black plastic cover in the frunk you can easily see if it's leaking from the resovoir, when the slave cylinders start to got bad they can push fluid to the front resovoir until it spills out (same thing happened on my car), it will be over max line and you will likely see residue if that's what it is. Reminder again as others have stated it is very bad for rubber/plastic and can eat it quickly.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:21 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by crash41301
The clutch action has always been weird in this car so it's hard to say tbh. Maybe it's always been wonky the entire 4 or 5yrs I've owned the car. Leak just started though. Thanks for confirmation!
I suspect this is very common. I thought I had forgotten how to drive stick before I did the GT2 slave conversion. I kinda wish I knew what a non-broken assisted slave feels like.

Quick Reply: Is this the slave cylinder?