Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery life

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search for "optima" in the archives around 1 year ago (if it lets you go back that far). There was a guy who mounted the Optima in his TT but it required some special work to make it fit.

Old 03-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Trojan Man
Search for "optima" in the archives around 1 year ago (if it lets you go back that far). There was a guy who mounted the Optima in his TT but it required some special work to make it fit.
That's why I mentioned the GT2 & GT3 parts for the smaller battery they come with in the hope they'd accomodate an Optima. IIRC the post last year on mounting one it required changing one of the battery cables and doing some drilling to bolt down the battery.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:36 PM
dpj
Instructor

Default free battery

My battery failed after 2.5 years. I had my dealer replace it free under warranty. But then again...my dealer is on its best behauvior with me.....remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:56 PM
TTRon
Intermediate

Wow, I'm fumming now. My dealer is getting a call Monday morning.

A battery lasting 19 months is terrible!
Old 03-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: Battery life

Originally posted by TTRon
What kind of life should I expect out of the stock battery?

Since my car wouldn't start and the battery failed the load test (towed to the dealer), the dealer replaced it. This is fine with me since I can't drive it, duh, but charged me $240 for the new one and labor.

They didn't even give me a prorated discount since I bought the car new 19 months ago. it current has 10,000 miles. Most stock batteries are warranted for at least 36 months.

Curious on what people are seeing out there?

Going forward, I purchased a solar battery maintainer that plugs into the cig lighter for $30. Porsche wanted $100 for theirs.

I just had the battery replaced free of charge in my 01 996 TT--26,000 miles 30 months old. I have heard that if you don't put enough miles on the car or use the battery maintainer on low mile cars, they won't cover it. If you have to pay for a battery, you are better off going aftermarket--e.g., Sears is supposed to have a direct replacment battery with vent tube and all.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:13 PM
TTRon
Intermediate

I ended up contacting the dealer explaining the situation. Basically, nothing in the way of a refund. Contacted Porsched NA. They requested I send a letter explaining the situation which I sent a couple of days ago. I hope to hear back soon with a refund check.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2004, 03:23 PM
TTRon
Intermediate

I received a check from Porsche last week covering the battery and labor costs! I'm happy.

Thanks everyone for your battery life experiences. It sure facilitated my letter to Porsche.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If someone in the San Jose area wants to do an Optima install them let me know. You need a 34R the R being reversed posts. Jeff

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1834

Quick Reply: Battery life