Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020 | 06:40 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Do tell...?

I thought the 615+ was the new tyre...
It's actually not that old...

But it only comes in GT2 sizes and I'm sure some would like it in 295/30 as well.

Really interested in what the replacement is all about. I was planning on replacing my Advan AD08Rs this summer but I'm not driving much so I think I have 2020 covered.

Old 05-01-2020 | 07:35 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Road King
It's actually not that old...

But it only comes in GT2 sizes and I'm sure some would like it in 295/30 as well.

Really interested in what the replacement is all about. I was planning on replacing my Advan AD08Rs this summer but I'm not driving much so I think I have 2020 covered.
The fact that the 615+ was only WR rated was enough to keep me from ringing the car out.
Old 05-01-2020 | 10:00 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pancing
615k are getting discontinued, falken is putting out a new tire set to hit retail in june.
615k+'s can still be sourced. it's a decent tire but the 315/3018 at 400 a pop, is not +65 bucks a unit better than the p-zero's. for my money. plus, the pirelli has the vaunted ( and worthless to me ) N4 rating they paid porsche for lol
Old 05-01-2020 | 10:35 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by k9turbo
615k+'s can still be sourced. it's a decent tire but the 315/3018 at 400 a pop, is not +65 bucks a unit better than the p-zero's. for my money. plus, the pirelli has the vaunted ( and worthless to me ) N4 rating they paid porsche for lol
I have not liked Pirelli's since I had P7s on my Scirocco in high-school...

I don't know what happened, but I really don't like thier tyres anymore - burnt though a set on the M5 in 11,000kms and they absolutely suck in the rain.
Old 05-01-2020 | 10:40 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I have not liked Pirelli's since I had P7s on my Scirocco in high-school...

I don't know what happened, but I really don't like thier tyres anymore - burnt though a set on the M5 in 11,000kms and they absolutely suck in the rain.
that was my take on falkens when i tried them as my first replacement set on my then new 993 but that was in 96. i took them off the car. they were awful. but i gave falkens another chance after gt2 rob here's rec, and they are in fact ok tires. but the pirelli's are no "worse", near as i can tell..and ( again ) 65$ less per 315/30 vs the falken.
Old 05-02-2020 | 07:54 AM
pancing
Drifting

Originally Posted by k9turbo
that was my take on falkens when i tried them as my first replacement set on my then new 993 but that was in 96. i took them off the car. they were awful. but i gave falkens another chance after gt2 rob here's rec, and they are in fact ok tires. but the pirelli's are no "worse", near as i can tell..and ( again ) 65$ less per 315/30 vs the falken.
Eh for what i do gmax rs will do fine, ill just have them stretch the tire over 12 inch rims lol.
The following users liked this post:
m54samrr (05-04-2020)
Old 05-11-2020 | 10:51 PM
m54samrr
Advanced

Originally Posted by pancing
Eh for what i do gmax rs will do fine, ill just have them stretch the tire over 12 inch rims lol.
Doing the same as you, new GMAX RS shoes come this Saturday. Will report back after putting in some laps.
Old 05-12-2020 | 11:13 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Put on GMax RS about 2 weeks ago. So far, so good. Haven’t really pushed them, but they are quiet, stable, felt grippy in a light rain.
Old 05-13-2020 | 03:37 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GWIT996F
Put on GMax RS about 2 weeks ago. So far, so good. Haven’t really pushed them, but they are quiet, stable, felt grippy in a light rain.
Don't push them
Old 05-14-2020 | 10:37 PM
cansis
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by HDA
Don't push them
I second this. I’m not one to openly give out my opinion and negative reviews, but I had the General GMax RS’s on my 996 C4S for 2k miles and I had to take them off. The tires are very cushy and comfortable and are great for daily driving, but any time they were pushed in the twisties, they fall just fell apart (not literally) and their cheapness showed (and also probably their high treadwear rating).

I had Sumitomo HTR ZIII’s on the car for 10k miles from the previous owner before these and I was more than happy with them on spirited drives, but I think the GMaxs just have too soft of sidewalls (hence the cushy ride over rough pavement). Steering was very numb and you could feel them “fold over” and understeer and turn to mush on turn in. The car didn’t rotate and you could hear the tires “scrub” when cornering. I was constantly making back and forth steering corrections mid corner and it got to the point that I had no confidence in them when pushed in corners. I just felt like I really had no idea what the front end was doing. I really wanted to like them, which is why I gave them 2k miles, even though they felt bad from the start.

I ended up doing what I was trying to avoid in the first place, and purchased the old and twice as expensive Michelin PS2s. I hate to admit it, but the PS2s are night and day over the Generals. Yes, at twice the price, I expected some differences, but they really are twice the tire. I’m still bitter at Michelin for making me fork out that much money on old tire technology though. Please, Michelin, make the PSS or PS4S in Turbo/C4S sizes!!!
Old 05-15-2020 | 01:11 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HDA
Don't push them
Originally Posted by cansis
I second this. I’m not one to openly give out my opinion and negative reviews, but I had the General GMax RS’s on my 996 C4S for 2k miles and I had to take them off. The tires are very cushy and comfortable and are great for daily driving, but any time they were pushed in the twisties, they fall just fell apart (not literally) and their cheapness showed (and also probably their high treadwear rating).

I had Sumitomo HTR ZIII’s on the car for 10k miles from the previous owner before these and I was more than happy with them on spirited drives, but I think the GMaxs just have too soft of sidewalls (hence the cushy ride over rough pavement). Steering was very numb and you could feel them “fold over” and understeer and turn to mush on turn in. The car didn’t rotate and you could hear the tires “scrub” when cornering. I was constantly making back and forth steering corrections mid corner and it got to the point that I had no confidence in them when pushed in corners. I just felt like I really had no idea what the front end was doing. I really wanted to like them, which is why I gave them 2k miles, even though they felt bad from the start.

I ended up doing what I was trying to avoid in the first place, and purchased the old and twice as expensive Michelin PS2s. I hate to admit it, but the PS2s are night and day over the Generals. Yes, at twice the price, I expected some differences, but they really are twice the tire. I’m still bitter at Michelin for making me fork out that much money on old tire technology though. Please, Michelin, make the PSS or PS4S in Turbo/C4S sizes!!!

Old 05-15-2020 | 02:26 PM
cansis
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by GWIT996F
Where did you get them? Discount Tire will take them back, for what I believe is a full refund, within 30 days if you are unhappy with them. I had mine for about 60 days and 2k miles, so I was outside that window, but they did give me partial credit back on the Generals.
Old 05-15-2020 | 10:00 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

that sidewall flex story reminds me of old hankook v12's. i had them on my previous turbo for about 300+ miles and scared myself and threw them out. they were cheap though, as i remember lol
Old 05-18-2020 | 02:36 PM
m54samrr
Advanced

Well I have them installed....only the drive home from tire shop as an impression. It's been raining steadily since the install. One single set of esses on the way home, they felt...interesting. Might be headed back to Americas Tire Co. after I put a few more miles on them. Hope I'm not chucking them thru the window like the old commercial.
Old 05-18-2020 | 03:02 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cansis
Where did you get them? Discount Tire will take them back, for what I believe is a full refund, within 30 days if you are unhappy with them. I had mine for about 60 days and 2k miles, so I was outside that window, but they did give me partial credit back on the Generals.

I'll probably stick with them, if for no other reason than to give them a full and true test. I don't track my car - I just do the occasional autocross. They are cheap enough that if I don't like them, I can always swap them out and sell them used if they are still in decent shape. FWIW, I was perfectly fine with the HTR ZIIIs that these replaced. They aren't the highest of performance, either, but for my Saturday runs to Cars and Coffee, they're "good enough." In performance driving situations, it's not the car or the tires that's that's holding me back - I have no problem admitting that I'm the weak link.
The following 2 users liked this post by FRUNKenstein:
cansis (05-19-2020), m54samrr (05-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Sumitomo HTRZ5 -- Don't Do It!