Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sumitomo HTRZ5 -- Don't Do It!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021 | 06:48 PM
m54samrr
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I am not a fan of doing that because the rubber is not only from different manufacturers, it will also have different adhesive qualities - so be careful pushing it.
Thanks, the frugal part of me says that the Generals sitting up front with 4k some odd miles are too new to drop but you are probably correct.
Old 10-13-2021 | 06:49 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m54samrr
Thanks, the frugal part of me says that the Generals sitting up front with 4k some odd miles are too new to drop but you are probably correct.
I not just buy one new General for the rear to replace the damaged one?
Old 10-13-2021 | 06:55 PM
m54samrr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I not just buy one new General for the rear to replace the damaged one?
Because after the short distance I have had them on the car, I am definitely not a fan.
Old 10-13-2021 | 07:43 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Because after the short distance I have had them on the car, I am definitely not a fan.
I and few others have them on our Turbos and I think they are great performance for the price. Especially in the wet. What is your issue with them?
Old 10-14-2021 | 12:18 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I and few others have them on our Turbos and I think they are great performance for the price. Especially in the wet. What is your issue with them?
For me, it is pretty much anything that starts with 'General'....
Old 10-14-2021 | 06:21 PM
m54samrr
Advanced

I'll start with direction tracking, and then there's the lack of feeling (probably from the soft sidewalls...) maybe its an issue with my car, but it all suspiciously showed up after the RS Max's showed up. If you want an extra rear tire with low miles on it, it's yours just pay for the shipping. Front's may be available shortly after I get the Falken's on the back, if there's problems as others suggest. Don't get me wrong, they aren't horrible...and I am not tracking or driving the car excessively hard. I will say the tires do not match the personality of the car.
Old 10-14-2021 | 07:01 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'll start with direction tracking, and then there's the lack of feeling (probably from the soft sidewalls...) maybe its an issue with my car, but it all suspiciously showed up after the RS Max's showed up. If you want an extra rear tire with low miles on it, it's yours just pay for the shipping. Front's may be available shortly after I get the Falken's on the back, if there's problems as others suggest. Don't get me wrong, they aren't horrible...and I am not tracking or driving the car excessively hard. I will say the tires do not match the personality of the car.
Clearly you have already made up your mind but tire feel can be very much pressure dependent. Side walls feel mushy? Add some air.
Old 10-14-2021 | 07:10 PM
m54samrr
Advanced

Clearly you have already made up your mind but tire feel can be very much pressure dependent. Side walls feel mushy? Add some air.
No where did I say the sidewalls feel mushy...it is a "soft" feeling tire, I am running correct pressures. Regardless, I gave them a fair shot, I do not like them. Even offering you the extra, great talk....
Old 10-14-2021 | 07:13 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Where in Nor Cal are you? I might be interested in some free spares if you are close. 😁
Old 10-14-2021 | 07:15 PM
m54samrr
Advanced

Originally Posted by pirahna
Where in Nor Cal are you? I might be interested in some free spares if you are close. 😁
Auburn, CA if you can use the one extra (for now, maybe more soon). My parents are in PB so I do roll down your way a couple times a year.
Old 10-14-2021 | 07:20 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Auburn, CA if you can use the one extra (for now, maybe more soon). My parents are in PB so I do roll down your way a couple times a year.
Nice, I'm in Prunedale. If you happen to be heading this way someday and still have it taking space in the garage I'll definitely take it off your hands. Never hearts to have a spare around. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
m54samrr (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021 | 10:43 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No where did I say the sidewalls feel mushy...it is a "soft" feeling tire, I am running correct pressures. Regardless, I gave them a fair shot, I do not like them. Even offering you the extra, great talk....
Sorry, I think I might have offended you. That was not my intent. I am sure you had your tires properly inflated.

I noticed on my Turbo that with the Generals I am running them at higher pressures compared to other tire brands because they feel better that way. I went through he same thing with my 356C. I have to run much higher pressures than recommended to make that car feel right as well. It is mostly because that car is so light weight and it doesn't compress the modern tires the way it would the crappy tires of its era.
Old 10-15-2021 | 12:11 PM
m54samrr
Advanced

@Carlo_Carrera no worries you did not offend me, there is no way you would know me from any other random that comes along in a forum, on the internet. I have tried psi's within 5% of the Max pressure noted on the sidewall, all it did for my perception of the tire was to lose contact grip. Complete open book here, I am not a profession driver, but have spent a great deal of time on the racetrack chasing setups and it translating into daily life. Why did I choose the General's, simple, price point, and it being a newer product and complete unknown :-).

Quick Reply: Sumitomo HTRZ5 -- Don't Do It!