996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how far up does your clutch "catch"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004 | 04:15 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

Question how far up does your clutch "catch"?

my new turbo's clutch catches about 3/4 of the way up. my c4s catches about 1/3 of the way up.

does my turbo have a problem?

Last edited by ignacio; 03-03-2004 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-03-2004 | 05:21 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, unfortunately that's normal for the Turbo, as is the difference you're noticing when compared to your C4S.
Old 03-03-2004 | 06:38 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Agree with Jack, the contact point is way too high and there is far too little feel (too much boost). I would love to change both. Any suggestions?

PS, Braking boost is way too high also.
Old 03-03-2004 | 07:15 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

hey guys, i'm just happy there's no problem! i'm sure i'll get used to the setup. i just wanted to make sure my clutch was not about to give up the ghost!

thanks
Old 03-04-2004 | 01:08 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Too much power assist....too much travel.....those have been the 2 coments from day one........I'm not aware of any solution, there's probably nothing wrong w/your clutch.
As mentioned, you will get used to it, however........ if you're away from the Turbo for awhile, or go back-n-forth from others Pcars, it will take a few miles to re-adapt.
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:39 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Too much power assist is right. The system is driven and assisted via the powersteering pump. It drives the clutch system as well and like the brakes will assist in pressure. They have done this since the 993TT. Not sure why when you consider the 3.6T can run the same clutch package without pedal issues.
Old 03-05-2004 | 02:53 PM
TTRob
Instructor

Stephen,

Can you give us any insight on the squealing sound that some of us have (normally heard at slow speeds) that immediately goes away when the clutch pedal is pushed? TIA
Old 03-05-2004 | 03:42 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally posted by PorschePhD
Too much power assist is right. The system is driven and assisted via the powersteering pump. It drives the clutch system as well and like the brakes will assist in pressure. They have done this since the 993TT. Not sure why when you consider the 3.6T can run the same clutch package without pedal issues.
Stephen, it's for wimps like me There were really only two reasons why I traded in the 964 Turbo for the 993 Turbo, the steering and clutch were too heavy for me... With mostly city driving in my daily commute, it was just too much.

I was also getting irritated that my motorcycle and my car were both so tiring to drive. The Ducati's clutch lever was brutal, I was going to change the slave cylinder to something more userfriendly on the bike and looked into the dual spring setup from the 3.6 Turbo to install on the C2 Turbo, but decided to buy the twin turbo instead.

So to all the wimps out there like me, to the assisted clutch and steering! :P
Old 03-05-2004 | 04:29 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

fc

i must say that i also like the assisted clutch also. i was just surprised that the catch point was so high up--more like an audi than a porsche--no problem, just different.
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:40 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ignacio
fc

i must say that i also like the assisted clutch also.
Ah common.........between the993, 986, the 996 and Turbo.......the last has the wimpiest clutch.........are you really happy your Turbo has a clutch feather light compared to a Boxster?
Hey, I love the car but even at that, when you're bouncing around a bit on the track...all that travel and hardly any feel isn't exactly an asset....just my opin.....we all have our own driving style I know.
I've relegated my 993 to some autocross & concours but drove that clutch alot in 6 yrs.....I'd take it, or the 986 clutch (or even the 996 clutch)....anyday to the Turbo clutch.
I'll admit I'm not very 'kind' to that part of the car (and as penance, changed over to the Sachs Motorsport Clutch).......just the same, the action on the 996turbo clutch has never made sence to me, whatever........but, at the end of the day, it's only a small part, of a great car .
Old 03-06-2004 | 12:35 AM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

gregg

the light clutch does help make the car a better daily driver. i disagree that it has no "feel". its just lighter and easier to use on a daily basis. to me that's what turbos are made for as opposed to gt3's and gt2's and probably most ferraris.

i do wish the catch point for the clutch was lower but i suspect in a month even that will be second nature. the turbo is just so capable and so easy to point and shoot. i don't mind it doesn't make me work too hard. i would never have a tiptronic, though. the turbo not a benz, thank god!
Old 03-10-2004 | 09:19 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Stephen,

I am curious about the difference between the TT clutch and the GT2. The latter is quite a bit heavier and has good "feel". I assume they are different. I wonder if TT guys could change a few bits and get the heavier but better feeling GT2 setup. FWIW the GT3 also has a high effort clutch compared to the regular cars. Like the GT2 the take up is very smooth and it is a pleasure to operate.

Regards,

Quick Reply: how far up does your clutch "catch"?