Sponsored by:

Tip vs Man

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 03:12 AM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 339 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Tip vs Man

I have an Arctic Silver 02 tiptronic with 38,000km. It's as close to mint as I have ever owned.
But the itch for a manual has creeped back. Suddenly an black 01 manual came up for sale near me. 75,000km, I GT3 seat, lowered suspension, and exhaust done. I test drove it yesterday. The suspension I dare say feels better than my original setup. The exhaust tone is perfect. Not too loud not vacuumy like the original.
They have the original wheels and exhaust too.
The ask is all in $50k. But they will only give me $30k for my trade in.
The clutch releases high, the coolant is low, the engine seems to sit lower than mine and it's dirty in the corners. What says the brain trust?
Old 12-14-2019, 08:29 AM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Hmm... That gap is larger than it needs to be IMO. If you can close it to 8-10k, that sounds fair to both. Get a PPI for bargaining purposes as well as to give you insight on it’s condition. You have potentially a few grand of work to do if you were to outsource it, but I believe you’re a DIYer so the cost would be minimal parts-wise.

But your low mileage and assuming great maintenance history should really make the out of pocket jump minimal. Alternatively, you could sell individually if the dealer doesn’t play nice. They can’t lowball you and ask premium for their price. The caveat to all this is I don’t know what the Japan market is for these compared to the States.

Keep us posted Rob.
The following users liked this post:
911user (12-15-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 09:34 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,656 Posts

Tough call. Difficult to judge values since you are in Japan. I do not know that market at all. Do what your heart tells you?
Old 12-14-2019, 10:33 AM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

The Japanese market values low mileage dealer cars. Mine is a new car import from Europe, which means the OPC won't support it.
Either way the main dealer auction price is 30-35. Retail is 40-60.
My car is up to service. Just had a wheel alignment, new tires and front suspension work.
I like the manual but it appears to have had a rough life compared to my garage queen.
The fact is I never really bonded with my 996. I'm closer to my recently acquired b5 RS4.
That said, the 996tt manual looks like it will require a lot of work.
My idea was to trade for a high mileage car which will be rough and cheep or fair priced with all the necessary maintenance done. This car is neither. It probably needs a clutch and coolant pipe pined and new rads and water pump.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:48 AM
pancing
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by rufrob
The Japanese market values low mileage dealer cars. Mine is a new car import from Europe, which means the OPC won't support it.
Either way the main dealer auction price is 30-35. Retail is 40-60.
My car is up to service. Just had a wheel alignment, new tires and front suspension work.
I like the manual but it appears to have had a rough life compared to my garage queen.
The fact is I never really bonded with my 996. I'm closer to my recently acquired b5 RS4.
That said, the 996tt manual looks like it will require a lot of work.
My idea was to trade for a high mileage car which will be rough and cheep or fair priced with all the necessary maintenance done. This car is neither. It probably needs a clutch and coolant pipe pined and new rads and water pump.
I wouldnt 20k isnt worth it for a worse example.
before long you'll be 40k in the hole. Imo sell your car privately and then look for a prime 6s example.
kmagnuss (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 10:55 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by pancing
I wouldnt 20k isnt worth it for a worse example.
before long you'll be 40k in the hole. Imo sell your car privately and then look for a prime 6s example.
^This.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:11 PM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like you've answered your question. I want to hear you, why have you not bonded with your car, other than that it's a tiptronic?
Old 12-14-2019, 06:54 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

I wouldn't assume it needs coolant pipes pinned. and new rads because the coolant is low. If you need to convince yourself of that to move on fine, but not realistic without seeing eveidence of these failures.
btw the clutches do usually catch high on these cars so there may be nothing wrong with it.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:19 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

The bonding issue.. I don't know. I have had it for 3 years now but eyed it for 2 year before at my dealers lot. Never drove one before buying it.
First issue was it was stunning to look at. Not used to people pointing and staring.
The tires were original Pirellis, Hard as hell so another $2000. Then the rear wing, leak, refill, bleed, repeat. Then the radiator leak, then the clunking noise from the suspension that drove me nuts. After much parts purchase it turned out to be the LCA. Now fuel smell...
I have never had as many problems on any other car I've owned. And this is the most expensive.
lowest miles and newest car.
I've spent more on repairs in 3 years than I did on my 930 (10 years)and E55 in (5 years).
May be I'm not a garage queen type. Or my expectations were unrealistic.
Thanks for all the input and advise.
My car is definitely worth more than that sad manual. It has a boy racer feel that's why I think the clutch might have been abused.
If I were to do the clutch I would have the coolant pipes welded with the engine out.
Doubt I could do it at home.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:21 AM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rufrob
The bonding issue.. I don't know. I have had it for 3 years now but eyed it for 2 year before at my dealers lot. Never drove one before buying it.
First issue was it was stunning to look at. Not used to people pointing and staring.
The tires were original Pirellis, Hard as hell so another $2000. Then the rear wing, leak, refill, bleed, repeat. Then the radiator leak, then the clunking noise from the suspension that drove me nuts. After much parts purchase it turned out to be the LCA. Now fuel smell...
I have never had as many problems on any other car I've owned. And this is the most expensive.
lowest miles and newest car.
I've spent more on repairs in 3 years than I did on my 930 (10 years)and E55 in (5 years).
May be I'm not a garage queen type. Or my expectations were unrealistic.
Thanks for all the input and advise.
My car is definitely worth more than that sad manual. It has a boy racer feel that's why I think the clutch might have been abused.
If I were to do the clutch I would have the coolant pipes welded with the engine out.
Doubt I could do it at home.
Seems like every issue you've had with your 996 is basically standard stuff, I wouldn't call those abnormal issues. If you don't love your car, sell it and get something you'll like better. What about a 997.2?
Old 12-16-2019, 06:45 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 317 Posts

Your car +$20k is a bad trade for you, and a great one for the dealer. When it is all said and done it will end up being a $40k delta to get the manual up to snuff, assuming nothing is really messed up, and you'll have a car with a ton more miles on it.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:06 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Yes deadend you are right. Standard issues. Guess I should have done more research before I bought it. Interestingly I had the same buyers issue with the 930 when I bought it. That car fought me for a few years until I got it dialed in. One of my friends say I should sleep in it which I did in the 930 not the 996. The 930 requires: head bolts, caliper overhaul, turbo charger clutch, ring gear, cv joints etc all in the first 2 years of my ownership.
I hope once I get the fuel smell sorted I'll start liking it more.
Btw the seller called me twice to comeback so we shall see.
I would love a 997 turbo but those start around $65k over here. RHD are cheaper but don't like those.
Finally I could upload some pic. The black manual in question.
Attached Images       
Old 12-16-2019, 08:22 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

That example sure doesn't look like it should have a premium price attached to it.

Paint doesn't look great (including the pink brake calipers), cheap aftermarket wheels. Something about the exhaust tip alignment looks off.

Also, take it from someone who just shelled out nearly $13k for a manual transmission refresh: those pink calipers and the GT3 seat hint that someone drove the car hard. In hindsight, I would have factored that more into my purchase of a 6 speed car (with no history of transmission work), as it makes it much more likely you have an expensive transmission repair in your future. If you were able to evaluate the driver/seller to know that he knew how to drive/shift, that might be one thing, but you can't because it's a dealer car.

Not trying to promote doom or gloom, but that car looks like it would be expensive to get into tip top shape, IMHO. Regardless of the $, it sounds like you don't especially enjoy that sorting process.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:17 PM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

LHD cars are worth more in a RHD country? That is very surprising.

I would pass on that car, it definitely looks like it has been rode "well".

Calipers look red, just not a great contrast btw.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:20 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Sorry if I wasn't clear with the pink calipers comment: my point was that they are faded (which happens from heat / hard driving).
911user (12-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Tip vs Man