Sponsored by:

Dead battery how to open hood?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 01:29 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,912 Likes on 2,975 Posts

+1 on the above. Can't you bump start it? They fire almost immediately if you can get it rolling.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:34 PM
pancing
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
+1 on the above. Can't you bump start it? They fire almost immediately if you can get it rolling.
lol yes i assume people would know that if they have a manual.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:47 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I got mine going with a dead of dead battery just by rolling it out of the garage and bumping reverse... fired right up.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:49 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And if that doesn't work, I just found this -

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...fuse-jump.html
Old 03-25-2020, 02:07 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 984 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtpeper
...can anyone recommend a good jump box to order?
Being blunt, we offer the best there is... yes that is brash, but we do. Antigravity started the segment in 2013 with our XP-1 MICRO-START PPS. Our XP-10 model won Consumer Reports Best Rated Jump Starter and is still the goto Jump Starter in most all Mechanics Bays. We are honest about it power numbers and its the smallest and most powerful jump starters you can buy.. but our XP1 and XP10 can also charger USB devices like other , but also do Laptop Charger which most others dont. We have a sale going on for Rennlisters just reach our to Chad@antigravitybatteries.com.

Keep in mind that these types of devices are not all the same...its about the interior battery quality, and about the circuit board quality. You can get really low prices on Amazon on some certain brands but don't go with the cheapest... they are in fact not good.

You can see our stuff at this link... https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/micro-starts/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIo-3Q-z8l

Old 03-25-2020, 02:41 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm worried to try bump starting it as if it doesn't start on the first try the car would be stuck in the middle of my alley and I don't have anyone to help me push it back up the apron and into the garage.

Antigravity - which one do you recommend?
Old 03-25-2020, 03:07 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 528 Posts

Is that enough amps for our cars to start?
Originally Posted by pancing
One start maybe. Jump boxes for our cars are meant to be to open hood when batt dies.
If you have an agm battery its sorta hazardous to jump them, and might screw the electrical system up. Best thing to do is connect the jump starter and turn the car into on mode and let the jump starter drop a charge into the battery for a bit then start it.
Yes, it's plenty of power. I've used it to not only get into the locked hood/trunk, but also start the car many times.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:08 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Being blunt, we offer the best there is... yes that is brash, but we do. Antigravity started the segment in 2013 with our XP-1 MICRO-START PPS. Our XP-10 model won Consumer Reports Best Rated Jump Starter and is still the goto Jump Starter in most all Mechanics Bays. We are honest about it power numbers and its the smallest and most powerful jump starters you can buy.. but our XP1 and XP10 can also charger USB devices like other , but also do Laptop Charger which most others dont. We have a sale going on for Rennlisters just reach our to Chad@antigravitybatteries.com.

Keep in mind that these types of devices are not all the same...its about the interior battery quality, and about the circuit board quality. You can get really low prices on Amazon on some certain brands but don't go with the cheapest... they are in fact not good.

You can see our stuff at this link... https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/micro-starts/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIo-3Q-z8l

Well sure yours is the best, sounds a little bias for sure. You guys make great products, but to say the cheap stuff is no good is just not correct. I paid like $50 years ago from mine at Walmart I think and it's never failed me.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:10 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Originally Posted by pancing
One start maybe. Jump boxes for our cars are meant to be to open hood when batt dies.
If you have an agm battery its sorta hazardous to jump them, and might screw the electrical system up. Best thing to do is connect the jump starter and turn the car into on mode and let the jump starter drop a charge into the battery for a bit then start it.
Nothing wrong with jumping a AGM battery. They may get charged differently, but nothing wrong w/ jump packs and AGM batts.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:24 PM
pancing
Drifting

Originally Posted by s65e90
Nothing wrong with jumping a AGM battery. They may get charged differently, but nothing wrong w/ jump packs and AGM batts.
True. I just dont trust some of the batteries in any of those jump packs. Ive vented a lot of 18650 and 20700 very good quality sony/panny cells in controlled conditions. Lipo batts are even worse.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:15 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I vote for bump starting - is your alley flat?
Old 03-25-2020, 04:35 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm worried to try bump starting it as if it doesn't start on the first try the car would be stuck in the middle of my alley and I don't have anyone to help me push it back up the apron and into the garage.

Antigravity - which one do you recommend?
XP-1 or Xp-10.... I'm not sure on the 996s as much as the 991s but my GT3 likes a lot of overhead power.... so if the battery is completely dead many of the 12,000mah Jump starters won't work because the larger lead acid battery wants to pull the energy out of them. XP-10 has the most overhead for sure and can even do Diesels because it has the largest battery in it.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:51 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by s65e90
Well sure yours is the best, sounds a little bias for sure. You guys make great products, but to say the cheap stuff is no good is just not correct. I paid like $50 years ago from mine at Walmart I think and it's never failed me.
Yes I am biased... but its a reasonable bias honestly. Half our calls on the jump starters are because the cheap one failed for the Customer. No I do not know if every cheap one is bad to be honest. But we know the market very well, and know all the manufacturers in this segment. So if you have used yours a handful of times and it has worked, that is great, don't want to misinform anyone. But if you have a completely dead battery meaning not even enough power to register when you turn the key on... or barely gets the light to glow in the instrument cluster, then in most Porsches those cheap ones won't do a turn over on a fully drained battery because the large Lead/Acid Battery will pull most of the capacity out of those cheaper jumpers. If your car battery is just a bit drained and won't start then yes even the cheaper ones can get the start since the battery isn't fully drained dead. So maybe we are talking the same conditions in which these products will work. When I say we are better I mean if we recommend a size to you.... it will start a completely dead no lights not power Car.

I don't want to dissuade anyone from getting a certain one... but when you are talking cheap Jump Starters on Amazon as I am...then I would not put a ton of trust in them. The absolute bottom line is you cannot make super inexpensive battery products that have high quality battery packs and components. So that is my point. I buy most my wrenches from Harbor Freight so who am I to talk.... but it a metal part not and electronic. I would never buy a harbor freight battery charger though. So this is what I am expressing.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:57 PM
pancing
Drifting

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Yes I am biased... but its a reasonable bias honestly. Half our calls on the jump starters are because the cheap one failed for the Customer. No I do not know if every cheap one is bad to be honest. But we know the market very well, and know all the manufacturers in this segment. So if you have used yours a handful of times and it has worked, that is great, don't want to misinform anyone. But if you have a completely dead battery meaning not even enough power to register when you turn the key on... or barely gets the light to glow in the instrument cluster, then in most Porsches those cheap ones won't do a turn over on a fully drained battery because the large Lead/Acid Battery will pull most of the capacity out of those cheaper jumpers. If your car battery is just a bit drained and won't start then yes even the cheaper ones can get the start since the battery isn't fully drained dead. So maybe we are talking the same conditions in which these products will work. When I say we are better I mean if we recommend a size to you.... it will start a completely dead no lights not power Car.

I don't want to dissuade anyone from getting a certain one... but when you are talking cheap Jump Starters on Amazon as I am...then I would not put a ton of trust in them. The absolute bottom line is you cannot make super inexpensive battery products that have high quality battery packs and components. So that is my point. I buy most my wrenches from Harbor Freight so who am I to talk.... but it a metal part not and electronic. I would never buy a harbor freight battery charger though. So this is what I am expressing.
Imo if you want a quality product buy anti gravity because if it doesnt deliver im 100% sure they'll refund your money.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:38 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 372 Posts

I didn't read the whole thread but, you can use a charger or battery pack through the cigarette lighter to get enough power to open the hood. also on the fuse box there should be a spot to boost to open the hood. otherwise use the wire behind the headlight trick.
good luck! Isn't your car tiptronic anyway? if so don't try to bump start it.

Quick Reply: Dead battery how to open hood?