Friday Lunch date. My date hated the Twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 05:38 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
...the new one wanted to learn EVERYTHING about them, and how to drive them, take care of them and didn't judge me at all - a keeper.
Different strokes for different folks.

My wife isn't "into cars". She likes to drive them and ride in them (as long as I keep GT3 seats out of the Turbo), but that's as far as it goes.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:46 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by rufrob
I found women who want me to spend money on them complain about my cars. Women who were confident and had their own coin couldn't care less or encouraged me. My present partner is an enabler. She loves all the cars, and supports me in every purchase, and tried to dissuade me when it's time to sell. She has out run me several times when we have to deliver a car somewhere. Her favorites are the 930 and 951. Usually she drives the W210 E55. She has helped me with interior sewing, bleeding brakes and clutch's. She even helped changing the clutch on the 930 which she burnt. When you know you got something good you take care of it, don't take it for granted, do what she wants to do at least once a month, you might enjoy book club or a classical concert museum or just to the beach for sunset (you can drive there).
First pic no *** . second pic *** out way too much!
Old 08-19-2019, 05:46 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 293 Likes on 201 Posts

Try getting her to like an old stinky air cooled with race suspension and headers.
My wife used to, now hates it.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:51 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Try getting her to like an old stinky air cooled with race suspension and headers.
My wife used to, now hates it.
How easy are the seats to get into and out of?
Old 08-19-2019, 10:01 PM
lflouie
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Wife likes cars too....just different than my preferance.

My choice.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:17 PM
kc996
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

His and hers. She's afraid of my Turbo which suits me fine. I do enjoy driving her cab.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:50 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 553 Likes on 335 Posts

My wife likes her comfort now that were "advanced" in age, getting in/out of a sports car isn't easy for her.

However, she was the one that encouraged me to make the purchase when I was making the final considerations and was emphatic in telling me to change out the stock rims for the Carrera style.

Though she doesn't ride it very much and refuses to drive it, she knows that I enjoy it and that way we're both happy.

Good luck on the next date if there's one.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:11 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

My gal drives the Turbo all the time. Tippy though. She's getting better with a stick and can drive my C4 but prefers me to drive. She didn't understand my "need" for a Porsche till she actually got in it and had a drive!
The following users liked this post:
RDS928S (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 11:28 AM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 291 Likes on 190 Posts

I guess the die was cast for me from a young age. My mom BFF has Bug for about 50 years now. My earliest memories are of holidays in that car. My mom was the first person to take me over 100mph in her 1989 Saab 900 Turbo. She really wanted an M5 but we couldn't afford it.
I have been lucky or selective with my partners. For the most part they understand the cars were there before them and will be there after them. I had one GF that by all accounts handled my 930 better than me.
So I wouldn't even waste calling back a woman who wants to criticize an essential part of who I am. There are other women out there who love or appreciate cars.
The white one was my first. Never forget your first. 87-944 280,000miles for $2500.
Attached Images    
Old 08-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rufrob
So I wouldn't even waste calling back a woman who wants to criticize an essential part of who I am.
I think it's great that his date had the backbone to comment on his car. I don't think there is anything wrong with identifying something for what it is. She may have been trying to do him a favor.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:32 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,912 Likes on 2,975 Posts

I rebuilt/hopped this up with my other half of 15 years, then sold it for a killing. She then put some coin into another project which we are working on together. I could not imagine having someone in my life that didn't share my love of internal combustion, it seems that would be very lonely for me.

She was bitten by the car bug, and I think that is a good thing.
The following users liked this post:
Capt. Obvious (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 01:56 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
I think it's great that his date had the backbone to comment on his car. I don't think there is anything wrong with identifying something for what it is. She may have been trying to do him a favor.
I kind of agree. Most airy women would not give a real opinion...
Old 08-20-2019, 02:51 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

At the same time, if someone (woman or otherwise) openly expresses dislike of something that is clearly an important part of your life (let's face it, we're car guys, we think and dream about this stuff all the time, we spend a lot of time on car forums), that's just asking for trouble down the line. It's going to become a problem at some point, small or large. Now sure, people are all different and you will inevitably disagree about things. For me at least, having a woman that would give me a hard time about cars is not something I could tolerate.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:02 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I could not imagine having someone in my life that didn't share my love of internal combustion, it seems that would be very lonely for me.
While there is obviously nothing inherently wrong with both people embracing the same hobby, separations of interests isn't a bad thing either. For example, I don't get into joining my wife in her art hobbies (painting, sewing, crafts). I'm not up there in her crafts room diving into doing the same things she loves. I do however offer honest opinions regarding her work. The majority of my comments are very complimentary, because she is very talented. But I do offer honest opinions regarding things I don't like, and she appreciates that input.

My wife isn't into all of the hobbies I have, and I'm not into all the hobbies she has. In fact, the separation of some of our interests is good for us.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:23 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrillyPop
For me at least, having a woman that would give me a hard time about cars is not something I could tolerate.
I'm not sure that it has been established here that she gave him a hard time about "cars". Rather, it seems to me that she simply opined about his 996 Turbo.

If she doesn't like loud, stiff riding, stinky exhaust cars then so be it. I personally would have appreciated her being up front with her opinions. Why would I want her to sit on her opinions only to find out how she felt later after dating her for awhile? If the thread starter needs someone who totally embraces loud, stiff riding, stinky smelling exhaust cars then at least he knows right up front where this woman stands and he can move along to someone else.

Personally, she's the kind of woman I'd see again if I were single and dating. When I was single I wasn't looking for a woman who enjoyed playing basketball like I enjoyed playing basketball. A woman who enjoyed banging the boards in the low post as much as I enjoyed doing that wasn't my target.

Different strokes for different folks...

Quick Reply: Friday Lunch date. My date hated the Twin turbo