Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Upgrades and WTB questions (turbo/exhaust/tune)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 04:01 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche Upgrades and WTB questions (turbo/exhaust/tune)

I have a 2001 turbo. I love the car. The only modification that I have on it right now is H&R lowering springs and a GT2 front nose.

Now, the turbos and getting worn enough that I am getting oil blow by on hard acceleration, so it is time for turbo refresh. I have been kind of itching to do a modification, so maybe the it is time for this car to get a little modified.

Who would be the best to have look at the turbos. Maybe with the thought of improved efficiency. I would like to ultimately get a bit more power, but not get crazy. 50 to 100 hp extra ultimately. So, I do not want to go with something like a K24 and get a bunch of turbo lag.

The factory exhaust is great because it does not drone. I fear the drone. But, would like it if the exhaust would burble and pop a little and I could actually hear it when accelerating.

So, what is the best options are there for me. Little bit of mod without getting crazy. I am also kind of cheap, so if anyone has parts that I could buy second hand, that would be great too.

Thanks

Ed
Old 07-09-2019, 04:03 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer
ISo, what is the best options are there for me. Little bit of mod without getting crazy.
Call Kevin at UMW.

I am also kind of cheap...
I can't help you with that.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:05 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,436 Posts

^ +1

Call Kevin, do his hybrid turbos and a tune.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:14 PM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

For Exhaust take a look at Kline, it's very quiet until you mash the pedal, no drone. When pedal is pushed it sounds really good. Have had mine for a couple of years and it still makes me grin..
For a little extra go, look at Cobb A/P, this and the Kline work great together. Sam by Design can help you.
For turbo's as mentioned above UMW seems to be the preference.
All this will give you more smiles per mile.
The following users liked this post:
Oak (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 05:14 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2001 turbo. I love the car. The only modification that I have on it right now is H&R lowering springs and a GT2 front nose.

Now, the turbos and getting worn enough that I am getting oil blow by on hard acceleration, so it is time for turbo refresh. I have been kind of itching to do a modification, so maybe the it is time for this car to get a little modified.

Who would be the best to have look at the turbos. Maybe with the thought of improved efficiency. I would like to ultimately get a bit more power, but not get crazy. 50 to 100 hp extra ultimately. So, I do not want to go with something like a K24 and get a bunch of turbo lag.

The factory exhaust is great because it does not drone. I fear the drone. But, would like it if the exhaust would burble and pop a little and I could actually hear it when accelerating.

So, what is the best options are there for me. Little bit of mod without getting crazy. I am also kind of cheap, so if anyone has parts that I could buy second hand, that would be great too.

Thanks

Ed
being og owner over the years Ive gone down many paths and have eventually settled with the cobb accessport through sam at bydesign since he is local to me, but he has tons of happy clients across the world. he's been there from the very begining of my ownership and has been a wealth of knowledge across the water cooled turbo models and always accessable.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:27 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 501 Posts

+1 for Sam. My car runs flawless. Never an issue for many years.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:27 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

There are a number of respected tuners out there (Kevin (UMW), Markski, Sam, Todd (Protomotive), etc.) that can get you want you want. You should contact several of them, speak to them, ask them questions, tell them what you want...and then pick the one you feel most comfortable with.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:46 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

+3 on sambo at bydesignauto.

he has the kline ( he's the US rep and agree best bang for the buck ) for exhaust and he's a cobb tuner rep also. plus he has the famously well suited k16/24 hybrid ( zero lag ) turbos. all in stock and you'll be able to bug him forever at n/c lol. best guy in the business.

this 3 add on's will get you right where you want to be and utterly transform the stock car. + 100/125 hp +/- easy.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:58 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
There are a number of respected tuners out there (Kevin (UMW), Markski, Sam, Todd (Protomotive), etc.) that can get you want you want.
^^^ this is the right advice...

Pick your tuner (all of the above have not just good, but GREAT reputations), then work WITH your tuner to decide what mechanical upgrades to also go for.

Much more effective than first buying Turbos A, exhaust B, and intercoolers C, etc. and then contacting a tuner asking them to make it all work together perfectly.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:37 PM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
^^^ this is the right advice...

Pick your tuner (all of the above have not just good, but GREAT reputations), then work WITH your tuner to decide what mechanical upgrades to also go for.

Much more effective than first buying Turbos A, exhaust B, and intercoolers C, etc. and then contacting a tuner asking them to make it all work together perfectly.
This is great advice.

You have to keep in mind, very few people have experience with more than 1 or 2 tuners, turbos, exhausts, so the recommendations are limited to their experiences and what they have purchased. Which is fine, but saying that is the "best" is very subjective.

There are some great tuners out there, call around and talk to them. Dive in and ask questions. You're starting a relationship here so if you are not clicking with that person, move on.

That said, here is my bias- I just went through the tuner debacle and went with Kevin at UMW, and am very pleased. When I talked to him the first time he gave me a brain dump on my newly acquired 6TT, one being exhausts. I told him that in my searching, I drove one with some drone, it was awful and I was adamant I did not want one with drone. He recommended Europipe and Milltech along with a couple of others. I actually found a gently used Europipe 2 weeks ago, they never come up for sale.

That leads me to another observation- search the classifieds, I'd steer clear of the used brands you see over and over again, they probably have drone and owners are looking to move on.

Can't help you on Turbos, stockers currently for me.

Quick Reply: Porsche Upgrades and WTB questions (turbo/exhaust/tune)