Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Diamond in the Rough

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 07:43 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 793 Posts

The Joe Toth lip is awesome, but I'd beat it up too much for it to be worth the money. I really love the side skirts he came up with awhile back, I may splurge for those at some point even though I don't really need them.

My favorite factory lip is the standard Turbo lip, but I figured I would give the Aero lip a try because I felt the car needed something up front to visually balance it out with the GT2 wing in the back. If I don't like it, them I'm only out $100.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:45 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,326 Likes on 1,482 Posts

If you do track driving the aero front lip is practically a must have to match the rear downforce of that GT2 wing.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:49 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
The Joe Toth lip is awesome, but I'd beat it up too much for it to be worth the money. I really love the side skirts he came up with awhile back, I may splurge for those at some point even though I don't really need them.

My favorite factory lip is the standard Turbo lip, but I figured I would give the Aero lip a try because I felt the car needed something up front to visually balance it out with the GT2 wing in the back. If I don't like it, them I'm only out $100.
agreed and i'm vacillating btw an ebay oem replacement ( no aero for me or biting the lip/bullet and paying the 275 for my favored c4S again.

re the toth stuff. agreed. i really like the look of his "skirts" and his turbo inlets. i think he studied the "manthey" when he was prototyping them and i'd love a set. just never did it, and my cars track days are over at 160k miles. i dont feel like rebuilding my mezger but then there is a sudden 3.8 if so ha

enjoy your car man, and again. welcome.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:38 AM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! Have I seen your Audi on Aurora heading north around the 7/11 near greenlake a few times? See you at the local events.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:03 AM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Nahhhh, you'll be fine. If you know how to drive a low static car (not sure how low you roll with those bags), it's not that bad. I love the Toth front lip and have also been eyeing up the side skirts but I want to see them in person first.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:17 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Congrats! Pressure test the cooling system to make sure that water pump fail did not overheat anything and or the glued coolant pipes are still intact.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:09 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

The Aero style lip showed up a lot quicker than expected. It is a bit shiny like some people mentioned, but not too noticeable. I'll probably scuff it with a Scotch Brite pad to dull it down a bit.

Considering it was only $100 I'm actually quite impressed with the fitment and quality.

While I had the lip off, I got the heat gun out to remove some of the clear bra from the bumper (it's overdue for removal). My worst fears were realized. Damnit.

Hopefully I can airbrush it or something and more or less hide it until I get enough additional rock chips to warrant a repaint.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:17 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,473 Posts

Lifted the paint?

Ouch...

Some shops use a steamer to remove old clear bra. Do you think that would have made a difference?
Old 06-20-2019, 03:25 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Yeah, it lifted the paint. Steam might have made a difference. Or perhaps more heat. This stuff is about 13 years old though, so it's baked on pretty good at this point. Luckily the damage is down low and it has come off of the metal panels without any issues so far.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:30 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,473 Posts

Hey, but at least the clear bra protected the paint! Well, right up until the time it lifted it off...

Sorry, to joke at your expense I just chuckle a bit when I read of new car buyers spending $5K+ wrapping their entire car in wonder film. To me it's like buying an Italian sofa made out of incredible leather and putting plastic couch protector on it.

Fortunately, a bumper re-spray is pretty easy for most quality shops and acceptable to most Porsche buyers.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
I just chuckle a bit when I read of new car buyers spending $5K+ wrapping their entire car in wonder film. To me it's like buying an Italian sofa made out of incredible leather and putting plastic couch protector on it.
I have the same sentiments. I'd rather just respray the front end every 50k miles. Though I'll admit some of the new films are pretty damn good and you can't even tell they are there. But you pay for it.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:57 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have the same sentiments. I'd rather just respray the front end every 50k miles. Though I'll admit some of the new films are pretty damn good and you can't even tell they are there. But you pay for it.
+1
Old 06-20-2019, 06:28 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 333 Posts

I'm a fan of the clear bra and irked that the previous owners of my low mileage car never put it on. Even with 29k miles on it, it had obvious rock chips. I wasn't about to re-paint the front bumper, hood and front of the front fenders on a low mileage, original paint car.

It baffles me how someone spends $120k+ on a new 911 turbo and then won't spend $1000 to clear bra it.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:42 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
It baffles me how someone spends $120k+ on a new 911 turbo and then won't spend $1000 to clear bra it.
I'd be an example of your bafflement.

I expect "use patina", and had I not taken deep hits on my front bumper from flying debris on two different occasions I would not have had my front bumper repaired (twice). The shop said a clear bra would have not prevented the deep damage. The first time I had my front bumper filled/repaired/painted, and the second time I needed a new bumper. In both cases, the shop sprayed the bumper off the car and did not spray any of the hood or front fenders. Both times they did great work matching the paint.

I've never liked the look and feel of wrap.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:49 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Same here, I would not clear bra any car no matter how expensive. I feel they look terrible and ruin the paint in the long run. But to each their own.

Quick Reply: A Diamond in the Rough