Sponsored by:

Leaky power steering reservoir/line oring

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 07:49 PM
No_Rice
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky power steering reservoir/line oring

I have been searching on and off most the day and haven't come up with a definitive answer. I am trying to find a replacement oring for the line coming off my power steering reservoir on my 2001 996tt. I know Porsche seems to only sell the whole reservoir for way to much money, especially when i dont need anything but the oring. So has anyone found a replacement for the oring behind the red quick connect fitting on this line?

Old 05-23-2019, 08:27 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,935 Posts

If it isn't anything to fancy, ie standard, you should be able to find something at your local hydraulic fittings/hose place, like Enerpac, or Hyseco.

Cheers,
Old 05-23-2019, 08:28 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Are you sure it is the inner o-ring that is leaking? Often it is the surface of the insert pipe, which is coated in some type of soft plastic material, which becomes scored/scratched during removal and no longer seals when inserted in the o-ring.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:10 PM
No_Rice
Intermediate

I know it needs to be something a little better then a my average oring to stand up to the corrosion from the Pentosin. Was hoping to not have to leave it apart for awhile while I searched for a replacement. Figured someone has to have already done this with as many mentions of it leaking, as I found!

And no I'm not sure it isnt the line. Havent taken it apart yet. But the line easily wiggles in the quick connect, with basically no effort. Definitly doesnt have a tight seal on the oring. Not saying it couldn't have a scratch somehow. But that line hasnt been out anytime since I've owned it and it just started seeping recently
Old 05-23-2019, 09:33 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That does sound like a bad o-ring but it should be disassemble to be sure. Even back when it was brand new that line does wiggle around a bit. The red quick connector works like a Chinese finger trap. It is not a solid fitting.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:43 PM
No_Rice
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
That does sound like a bad o-ring but it should be disassemble to be sure. Even back when it was brand new that line does wiggle around a bit. The red quick connector works like a Chinese finger trap. It is not a solid fitting.
I have stumbled across a few pics on here of that line, and the red fitting/oring removed. so that was helpful to get a good idea of what im looking at. looks like once the line is removed, the red fitting should be able to be carefully popped out of the housing to access the oring.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No_Rice
I have stumbled across a few pics on here of that line, and the red fitting/oring removed. so that was helpful to get a good idea of what im looking at. looks like once the line is removed, the red fitting should be able to be carefully popped out of the housing to access the oring.
Yes, you want to use a split fork trim tool to hold the red ring tight/flush against the pump housing while you slide the pipe out. I can be tricky.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:00 PM
No_Rice
Intermediate

I did see how someone modified a plastic door trim removal tool to push the clip in, while being softer then metal to limit the chance of scratching the hose. doesnt look like it would work to bad
Old 05-25-2019, 01:42 AM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

You can always try McMaster Carr, they have great diagrams with measurements once you determine the size. Please do post what your resolution is, I suspect more will encounter this
Old 05-25-2019, 11:16 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

the easiest way is to remove the red fitting drill and tap it for a an fitting and cut the hose for a matching an fitting
Old 05-25-2019, 11:30 AM
No_Rice
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
the easiest way is to remove the red fitting drill and tap it for a an fitting and cut the hose for a matching an fitting
That is one of my backup plans. I really do have no intention of buying a new reservoir to fix this issue. lol

And we have a pretty good machine/hydraulic warehouse locally that has been able to help me out many times over the years on my custom builds. so once i tear this apart im headed there to see what we can find
Old 05-25-2019, 07:38 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

That is one of my backup plans. I really do have no intention of buying a new reservoir to fix this issue. lol

And we have a pretty good machine/hydraulic warehouse locally that has been able to help me out many times over the years on my custom builds. so once i tear this apart im headed there to see what we can find
i have a used reservoir i can sell at a decent price if needed
Old 02-25-2023, 09:47 PM
thebutterson
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been searching on and off most the day and haven't come up with a definitive answer. I am trying to find a replacement oring for the line coming off my power steering reservoir on my 2001 996tt. I know Porsche seems to only sell the whole reservoir for way to much money, especially when i dont need anything but the oring. So has anyone found a replacement for the oring behind the red quick connect fitting on this line?
What did you end up doing? I have the same leak.
Old 04-17-2023, 05:31 PM
996TT18
7th Gear

I have the same leak also lol, How did you have it figured out ?
-Thanks
Old 04-18-2023, 10:07 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

I had the same issue. I simply used RTV sealant on the pipe and held it in place with nylon zip ties. I know it's redneck but it works. No leaks.
I've read that Teflon tape is also Pentosin resistant.

Quick Reply: Leaky power steering reservoir/line oring