Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone convert a 996 turbo to a race car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 12:28 AM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Anyone convert a 996 turbo to a race car?

Posted this on the racing discussion area and they suggested I post here. So here goes:

Hi all,

just curious if anyone here has experience doing this. I looked at a lot of different options and for me, I just love all the looks of the Carrera styling. When I was considering choices for a dedicated track car, I looked at lots of different options including spec boxter, spec Carrera, gt3 cup. I think with the cup cars, I’m too new to the sport and the cost is too much for me to run one and be safe. With boxter and cayman, I don’t like the way they look as much either.

I have noticed a few guys running 996 turbos on the track and was curious if anyone had experience with building and driving these cars at the time trial and race level?

Are there any components or things to watch for in doing this? What are the modifications that you would use?

thanks
Old 03-03-2019, 11:00 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

powderhounds car is a full blown race car with a legal license plate! you wont find a turbo with more track oriented mods on it
Old 03-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Big difference and slippery slope between a heavily tracked supercar with exotic parts that can do track days vs. a race car that is legal for most racing series. I wouldn't recommend the latter part unless your car is damaged, have a ton of Cup/GT parts sitting around or you have a desire to burn a ton of money and time for modifications. If I had do it all over again, I would have kept my 996TT for the street and bought a 996 Cup and it still would have cost less than what I have now. Hourly costs are significantly more with the Cup but it's ready to go racing.

Some examples of mandatory race car parts that you don't see on a street car and it gets very expensive for this car:
- Fire system (not extinguisher)
- Drivers window and right side nets
- Cup or gutted doors w/ plastic windows or no door windows at all
- Pit radio, transponder and a ton of new sensors for data acquisition since the 996 is old
- No interior or locks on the car and secured by pins
- Welded in cage with door bars, halo and air bags removed

Old 03-03-2019, 08:06 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by gbooth
I have noticed a few guys running 996 turbos on the track and was curious if anyone had experience with building and driving these cars at the time trial and race level?

Are there any components or things to watch for in doing this? What are the modifications that you would use?
For a great start, search for threads started by powdrhound (here's a link, though it will probably expire https://rennlist.com/forums/search.p...rchid=35203003). Also look at the mods he has listed in his signature line.

One issue would be if you wanted something to race in a series, rather than just ***** out open track days, and needed to comply with class regulations and restrictions... For that type of racing, a spec series car is maybe a better choice?
Old 03-04-2019, 01:21 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 599 Likes on 461 Posts

If you are shooting for a PCA stock class, you can certainly keep airbags, windows, etc., and keep the car street legal which makes it a huge advantage over a non-legal cup car that you can never drive unless it's on a race track. Get the car ready and come race in J at the Festival of Speed!
Old 03-04-2019, 06:49 AM
FASTTRIP
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Old 03-04-2019, 08:20 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 343 Posts

there's been a bunch of true 996tt race conversions covered here over the years, Rennlist O.G. stuff... (not fast street legal cars)
probably would listen to Scawt's advice, but if you're going to do it don't do baby steps- jump deep right away and don't compromise on parts that will require multiple rounds to get to the final point
Old 03-04-2019, 05:39 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
For a great start, search for threads started by powdrhound (here's a link, though it will probably expire https://rennlist.com/forums/search.p...rchid=35203003). Also look at the mods he has listed in his signature line.

One issue would be if you wanted something to race in a series, rather than just ***** out open track days, and needed to comply with class regulations and restrictions... For that type of racing, a spec series car is maybe a better choice?
‘thanks. Appreciate this advise. His threads are a treasure trove of information. I really have learned a lot from them.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:41 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
If you are shooting for a PCA stock class, you can certainly keep airbags, windows, etc., and keep the car street legal which makes it a huge advantage over a non-legal cup car that you can never drive unless it's on a race track. Get the car ready and come race in J at the Festival of Speed!

i will. I’ll be there. Hoping to have the car ready by then. If not I will be there in my street car. Thanks 🙏
Old 03-04-2019, 05:44 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993GT
there's been a bunch of true 996tt race conversions covered here over the years, Rennlist O.G. stuff... (not fast street legal cars)
probably would listen to Scawt's advice, but if you're going to do it don't do baby steps- jump deep right away and don't compromise on parts that will require multiple rounds to get to the final point
my plan is to put 996 gt3rs suspension in it. All monoball components. Full cage. Fire suppression. A few other things as well. My mechanic is already telling me to take it easy lol!
Old 03-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scawt
Big difference and slippery slope between a heavily tracked supercar with exotic parts that can do track days vs. a race car that is legal for most racing series. I wouldn't recommend the latter part unless your car is damaged, have a ton of Cup/GT parts sitting around or you have a desire to burn a ton of money and time for modifications. If I had do it all over again, I would have kept my 996TT for the street and bought a 996 Cup and it still would have cost less than what I have now. Hourly costs are significantly more with the Cup but it's ready to go racing.

Some examples of mandatory race car parts that you don't see on a street car and it gets very expensive for this car:
- Fire system (not extinguisher)
- Drivers window and right side nets
- Cup or gutted doors w/ plastic windows or no door windows at all
- Pit radio, transponder and a ton of new sensors for data acquisition since the 996 is old
- No interior or locks on the car and secured by pins
- Welded in cage with door bars, halo and air bags removed

great picture and advise. I am planning for all of these things. I initially thought cup car firs but hourly operating costs were a big reason for doing this instead. I’m pretty new to this and figured I could build this thing by taking a pretty good swipe at it the first time around and then upgrading as I go along and improve. Maybe a little more upfront costs but way less costs at the back end with most items needing street spec maintenance instead of timing out. More money in the pot for consumables like tires, brakes and fluids. Thanks 🙏
Old 03-04-2019, 07:00 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by gbooth

great picture and advise. I am planning for all of these things. I initially thought cup car firs but hourly operating costs were a big reason for doing this instead. I’m pretty new to this and figured I could build this thing by taking a pretty good swipe at it the first time around and then upgrading as I go along and improve. Maybe a little more upfront costs but way less costs at the back end with most items needing street spec maintenance instead of timing out. More money in the pot for consumables like tires, brakes and fluids. Thanks 🙏
If you're tracking hard on slicks or sticky R-comp tires, you will need to follow the time out schedule just the same as the race cars do- the same stresses are being applied. Street spec maintenance applies to street cars.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:28 AM
TKEES
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
If you're tracking hard on slicks or sticky R-comp tires, you will need to follow the time out schedule just the same as the race cars do- the same stresses are being applied. Street spec maintenance applies to street cars.
This is the truth.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:32 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

My car is 75% track 25 street and I can DD it when sunny no problem.
If I could do it all over again, I'd look for one modded with the right parts or start with a GT
Old 04-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
How many miles are on that Turbo?

i have 76,xxx miles on car. It’s a new purchase for me and I did notice a small oil leak after purchase. Turned out it was from some small hose at the to p of the engine that would have been near impossible for repair with the engine in. This was an incidental finding as we planned to drop the engine.

Basically everything ran tight and clutch felt good when driving. Not like new but good.

‘’Plans are for performance focused upgrades and preventative maintenance. All hoses that can degrade are being replaced. New aluminum water pump, dv valves. Sachs clutch with new flywheel. New coil packs plugs and all fluids.

The car is getting full suspension upgrade to monoball with 3 way gt3 res clubsport dampers. New gt3rs front uprights (knuckles). All new motor, transmission, and subframe mounts will be installed.

For brakes, I’m moving to a 997 gt3 rotors and calipers as well as new gt3 master cylinder. 380mm/350mm size. I think this will keep the brakes cooler and tires cooler as well. New stainless steel teal brake lines to all four corners as well.

‘’For wheels, I’m going to put some OZ lightweight wheels on it. Plan to give Nitto NT-01 tires a try. Heard so many great things about them.

Now, I’m contemplating exhaust and turbo upgrades. I am thinking something mild to moderate with built in reliability. Not sure where to go about that but learning about it will be another fun part!

Quick Reply: Anyone convert a 996 turbo to a race car?