996TT reliability survey

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:49 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Genius, if the engineers had designed a press fit than no glue would ls have been needed. Engineering fault.
It's not a fault. They are not the first to successfully use glue for mechanical connections.

My suggestion to you is that if you own a Porsche with glued coolant fittings then sell it if you don't like the fact that adhesive is used to secure the fittings.

And if you want to continue talking about coolant fittings, or want to discuss the superiority of the Vett's engineering and build quality, then I suggest you start a new thread.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:50 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
I saw. Seems pointless comparing door hinges; hence post # 70.
Then see post #1, lol, the entire thread began with asking about the two.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:56 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,935 Posts

Genius, if the engineers had designed a press fit than no glue would ls have been needed. Engineering fault.
I believe this is the delta between building all previous versions of the turbo by hand, to the 996 series in Porsche's first mass produced 911. Obviously, they are going to try and optimize their production lines, but as Dock noted, if there was a fundamental problem with a supplier part, in this case epoxy, and there were a 'few' examples of failures during production, but a significant amount into the early gen 997s, it would have been hard to nail it down until there was a good base set of data to extrapolate the real source of the problem.

We use a number of thermo-genic 2 part epoxies to secure instrumentation to various pieces of infrastructure in order to monitor their behaviors. Asset owners are only now starting the realize that some of these epoxies are not standing up to the test of time and cracking, and letting moisture infiltrate where it absolutely shouldn't. Kinda makes one wonder about the technology in general - how can something looks so good up front, then turn out to fail in time? Simply put, the new technologies haven't had enough time in a production environment to be properly assessed.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
We use a number of thermo-genic 2 part epoxies to secure instrumentation to various pieces of infrastructure in order to monitor their behaviors. Asset owners are only now starting the realize that some of these epoxies are not standing up to the test of time and cracking, and letting moisture infiltrate where it absolutely shouldn't. Kinda makes one wonder about the technology in general - how can something looks so good up front, then turn out to fail in time? Simply put, the new technologies haven't had enough time in a production environment to be properly assessed.
https://www.adhesivesmag.com/article...ds-in-assembly

http://henkeladhesivesna.com/blog/ad...ding-benefits/
Old 03-19-2019, 05:20 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
It's not a fault. They are not the first to successfully use glue for mechanical connections.

My suggestion to you is that if you own a Porsche with glued coolant fittings then sell it if you don't like the fact that adhesive is used to secure the fittings.

And if you want to continue talking about coolant fittings, or want to discuss the superiority of the Vett's engineering and build quality, then I suggest you start a new thread.
I do believe it was you that introduced the corvette door hinge in this thread, and inferred that it was inferior, not much to the original reliability question of this thread. And as usual you are being a dick
Old 03-19-2019, 05:22 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

As per normal, you are a trove of information...

Old 03-19-2019, 05:24 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I do believe it was you that introduced the corvette door hinge in this thread, and inferred that it was inferior, not much to the original reliability question of this thread. And as usual you are being a dick
I don't know if that's entirely fair; many threads beyond this one, start on one topic and evolve into different discussions, just like you did by pointing out Dock was a dick - isn't that the joy of a bulletin board?
Old 03-19-2019, 05:54 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I do believe it was you that introduced the corvette door hinge in this thread...
The door hinge is just an example of the Vette's build "quality", and I used it as an example in reply to Third-Reef's statement where he said (my bold)..."Ever work on a Corvette, they are kind of crude by comparison." Maybe you'd like to reply to him regarding his opinion.

I suggest that if you haven't already done so, you peruse some of the Vette forums and research threads that talk about build quality issues. Or maybe you already own a Vette and are familiar with the build quality issues and the cheapness of some of the materials used in the car (the carpet immediately comes to mind).

If you have opinions regarding why the thread starter should sell his 911 and buy a Vette, then post them up on this thread. If on the other hand you feel strongly about the Vette being a better built car than the 996 Turbo, and think people should buy a Vette instead of a 996 Turbo, then I think that would be a great thread for you to start and explain your reasoning. I'd probably offer up a post or two in that thread; however, I can assure you that what you aren't ever going to do is change my opinion regarding the Vette's build quality.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:19 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And as far as reliability is concerned, I just threw a P0430... Catalysts Slow to Respond - I suspect to do with 100 cell cats...

Read it, cleared it, back to driving Nirvana...
Old 03-19-2019, 06:52 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I suspect to do with 100 cell cats...
My Europipe came with 100 cell cats and they have never caused a code of any kind to be thrown.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:41 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
My Europipe came with 100 cell cats and they have never caused a code of any kind to be thrown.
When I hook my Durametric up to the car and look at the cats (o2 sensors), it always says 'marginal' (or whatever that looks like, I cannot recall exactly...) with an exclamation point.

Because I was going down a hill, in second towards a light that was red, which then went green and caused me to get on the gas, I suspect I induced a rich condition, which in turn threw a code.

Also, our fuel is ***, which I am sure does not help at all.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Also, our fuel is ***, which I am sure does not help at all.
Certainly a possibility.

What octane is the gas you use?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:15 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

94 CDN Octane, Chevron, most of the time.

I have been known to mix toluene into 94 for my motorcycle, on occasion.

AV gas (100 octane plus) used to be fun, but hard to come by now.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:50 AM
latinlava
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if you have seen this, but nice write up of cost of ownership including invoices.

https://996turbo.tumblr.com/page/2

reading this thread has scared me off of purchasing an old car. I went down the path of the 996T given the reputation of the engine. I flew out this weekend to buy a vehicle and almost purchased , but electrical gremlins on PPI made me fly home. I was bummed out on the flight home. The more I read about expensive maintenance needs to avoid being stranded, has me thinking it was a financial blessing the purchase didn’t work out.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:30 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by latinlava
Not sure if you have seen this, but nice write up of cost of ownership including invoices.

https://996turbo.tumblr.com/page/2

reading this thread has scared me off of purchasing an old car. I went down the path of the 996T given the reputation of the engine. I flew out this weekend to buy a vehicle and almost purchased , but electrical gremlins on PPI made me fly home. I was bummed out on the flight home. The more I read about expensive maintenance needs to avoid being stranded, has me thinking it was a financial blessing the purchase didn’t work out.
i'm going to sound like an a-hole... but if you think that is a lot, you should go looking at another platform like Honda, Corvette or VW... nothing that i've seen in his annual costs to maintain the vehicle was astronomical... in year one he had to fix the clutch slave which was the biggest bill... in year two he did a clutch and modifications like tires... all of that stuff are pricey repairs but goes with buying ANY car that is 15+ yrs old... is there a Porsche tax? yes... but it isn't as bad as people make it out to be and no different than a corvette tax... if the PPI checks out and it's something you like and can afford then buy the car and set aside a couple grand for hidden items that need addressing...

Quick Reply: 996TT reliability survey