Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 01:51 PM
Ogr8frogy
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Need advice.

Ok folks,
I need some advise. I have had my current 996 mk1 for close to 5 1/2 yrs now and I will be upgrading to a tt car soon.
i know buy the best you can afford is #1 on the list, I didn’t do it with the car I have now but it had everything I wanted at the time and it has been a great car. It’s sitting at 205k miles and I put 80k miles on it in little over 5 yrs.
So here’s some back ground, I do mostly city driving. So I want a tip car ( left knee hurts from dirt bike and four wheelers and most of my cars being stick)
I prefer an x50 or turbo s model. Is it really worth the extra $?
I also wouldn’t mind it being a cab either. I know prices are dare I say cheaper.
So in my searching I have found a few that checks all the boxes I like and would like to have in a tt car. Some are just regular tt cars.
I know silver seems to be the most popular color and it would do for me, but prefer another color.
There is one close to me that hits all the buttons but we are stuck in a price difference and it’s not that much difference at that.
It is an 05 turbo S cab with tip. Guards Red black interior and gt3 wheels.
What worries me is that it needs attention to a few items on the car.
no real service history besides what a I can find on Carfax.
the tires looked good till I drove it, old and flat spots bad. They never smoothed out. New tires needed.
drivers side window not dropping correctly. Not big money but more hassle than anything.
door dings on drivers door up above the handle (thinking suv and kids for that in a garage)
decent scratch behind drivers side rear tire close to the top of rear bumper cover. Kids bike maybe or something like that.just guessing.
But the biggest problem is the rear spoiler doesn’t work at speed or with the button. I know it could just low. But never seen a warning light come on while driving. And I know it can be a pricey fix too.
There other miner things but I can over look those, It’s a used car after all with 66k miles.
Last complaint only one key..
I am still waiting to hear back from two other cars I am also looking at. One is an S model other just tt.
And now I found another one I might want to look into. It’s just a tt.
so there are 4 different cars 3 are silver and 1 red, two are S models one with a tune, one stock, same goes the regular tt’s one’d tuned one stock.
and the prices are all in the same range within say $5k.
I’m trying to make the best informed decision of the 4 cars. Two are at dealers two private owners.
one cars is within 50 miles next one is just over 500 miles away then 1k miles then last one just under 2k miles away.
I know the hunt for the car is fun but also aggravating too.
all the cars range from around 45k miles to 74k miles on them.
I would like to get one soon cause I know once the weather really breaks around here the prices will start to go up or they will just holdout till they get what they want.
So in all that being said am. I going crazy?
lastly I know ppi the one or ones that make the short list.
thanks for listening or advice you can give me.
Jeff

Old 02-16-2019, 02:13 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

What price range are these cars?
Old 02-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Ogr8frogy
I prefer an x50 or turbo s model. Is it really worth the extra $?
Not IMO.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

one cars is within 50 miles next one is just over 500 miles away then 1k miles then last one just under 2k miles away.
I recommend that you personally look at and test drive any 996 Turbo you are interested in buying
Old 02-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Ogr8frogy
Rennlist Member

All these cars are priced in the $40 -$45k. Since I’m looking for a driver not a show queen. Just don’t want a problematic car.
i don’t mind wrenching on them, you know regular maintenance, or upgrades Just not where I have too to keep it running. Been there done that as a teenager not looking at revisiting those days.
It should look good but I won’t be totally upset with normal wear and tear stone chips and such with that type of mileage..
I hope you understand what I’m getting at.
i know the cabs with tips are the cheapest of the turbo models in the 996 line, but it fits with me now on what I’m looking for.
jeff

Old 02-16-2019, 03:27 PM
Ogr8frogy
Rennlist Member

I agree with what you are saying about driving them.
But that’s also the problem. One I drove already the next one I could without to much problem but as they get farther out it gets to be harder to get out to them time wise.
Small family business so time off can be a challenge..
and it seams like most of these cars are either out west or down south. Not many around here that the owners don’t think they have a gold mine.
I flew to Tennessee to get my current 996 and saved about $5k by doing that..
so I do as much research as I can before I buy. But some of the maybe better deals are further away than I want.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I agree with what you are saying about driving them.
But that’s also the problem. One I drove already the next one I could without to much problem but as they get farther out it gets to be harder to get out to them time wise.
Small family business so time off can be a challenge..
and it seams like most of these cars are either out west or down south. Not many around here that the owners don’t think they have a gold mine.
I flew to Tennessee to get my current 996 and saved about $5k by doing that..
so I do as much research as I can before I buy. But some of the maybe better deals are further away than I want.
Hope you find a car that works for you.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:35 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Be patient. At the price level you are talking about you should be able to find a real peach of a Tip Cab. I bought my Turbo in Kalamazoo Michigan. They do pop up everywhere.

Here is an old thread on what to look for: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-a-996-tt.html
Old 02-16-2019, 06:36 PM
FASTTRIP
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I’m On my second fix for hydraulic wing and at 29 k miles, need to talk to Kevin so I don’t need a 3 rd. So don’t let that scare you it seems normal to all cars.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:39 PM
Ogr8frogy
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link. That’s some good info, I will post up when I get one.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:44 PM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

For the 05 TT S you drove, if it was to your liking use the major issues like tires,failing rear spoiler, etc as a tool to get a better price. Figure around 1k for tires, for rear spoiler repairs there are several options, UMW, Rennkit, I had mine rebuilt a few years ago (Mario & Sons, in Florida) think it was about 700, to fix pump ram and rebuild cylinders. Find a reputable indy in your area and get a PPI, if all checks out okay make an offer you are comfortable with. In another month sellers will be wanting more $$$$$ as the warmer driving season picks up. With prices trending up, you may be able to enjoy it for a few years, and come out ahead should you sell. Good luck...
Old 02-16-2019, 08:35 PM
Ogr8frogy
Rennlist Member

Well that is what my thinking was too. They seam to be stuck at there price and I just don’t see it. They have had it on the lot for almost 3 months..
and the bad thing is we are only about 2k difference.
i know this may sound funny but they say you know the correct car when you see it, well it worked out good on my first 996 and I have to admit
the porsche guards red really works with this car.
I noticed that the brakes felt week at first but once they got some heat in them they felt better. I thought I read that the PCCB’s worked better once warmed up so I guess this is true unless someone chimes in on this.
and I also noticed the car feels smaller than mine, I guess that’s one difference between cab’s and coupes.
i was able to see .8 bar of boost pretty easy and yes the speed picks up quicker than my little 3.4
the ride is livable stiffer than mine but not a bad thing I guess.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:54 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i'd sure be mindful of the cost to replace the pccb rotors etc, once needed. because ya sure don't need pccb's for everyday street driving.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:09 PM
Ogr8frogy
Rennlist Member

I seen the price of those and it was shocking, but was thinking just replace with steel and either put them up or sell them..
Old 02-16-2019, 10:32 PM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

At 2k apart that would be close enough for me if I was interested to proceed with a PPI. Correct on brakes, they work better with heat. A TT S should be able to make 1.0+ boost (unless there's leaks). Ask about maint. history records, and ask about contacting previous owner if possible.

Quick Reply: Need advice.