Sponsored by:

Gauge cluster question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 11:05 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Gauge cluster question

Was curious if the gauge clusters mileage can be adjusted at the dealership? I’m assuming yes but wanted to make sure. Reason I ask if because I was contemplating buying a new cluster with different color gauge faces second hand. I don’t want to pry apart mine to buy secondary ones
Old 01-18-2019, 11:06 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

they can mnove it forward but its against the law to move it backward
Old 01-18-2019, 11:40 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

they need to confirm previous/existing mileage and adjust the new one to match (and document it)
Old 01-19-2019, 09:38 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

I thought you could easily change the faces without having to replace the whole thing?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:25 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just buy gauge faces that go over the stock black faces! No need to change the entire cluster out!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:49 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I thought you could easily change the faces without having to replace the whole thing?
i did this with mine and while i wouldnt call it "easy" it can be done. theres a write up that details all that has to be done. i actually bought a used boxster cluster that was damaged to practice on.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 AM
Flatlined
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What color are you looking for?
Old 01-22-2019, 12:57 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

My car came with the white faced gauges. Car currently has 93000 mile. Interior is grey. I was thinking maybe the standard black faced gauges to match my carbon interiors bits. Honestly I haven’t put much thought into it because I wasn’t sure if it was something that could be done. I’ve learned to do my due diligence in research before I get myself excite about a mod or project.

I knew about doing the gauge backgrounds but I’d rather keep mine intact than try and take it apart. These can be had for 200 bucks online.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Rvca3112
Was curious if the gauge clusters mileage can be adjusted at the dealership? I’m assuming yes but wanted to make sure. Reason I ask if because I was contemplating buying a new cluster with different color gauge faces second hand. I don’t want to pry apart mine to buy secondary ones
Maybe the Turbo instrument cluster is different but when I had a used instrument cluster installed in my Boxster -- a used cluster to address a problem with the original instrument cluster that had the airbag warning light on all the time -- the tech tried to set the replacement cluster mileage to the same mileage as the original cluster mileage -- and much higher mileage than the replacement cluster mileage -- and was unsuccessful. He said the Porsche diagnostic computer can only be used to change the miles if the miles are below a certain threshold, essentially at new cluster miles.

To change the used cluster miles would have required sending the new (used) cluster out along with the old (original) cluster to a shop that would then read out of the original cluster EEPROM all that was unique to the original cluster and program it into the new (used) cluster EEPROM.

I elected to not do this. (Just didn't want to send the cluster out for what would have been the 3rd time.) The dealer service invoice noted the original cluster mileage and the new (used) cluster mileage and I put this invoice into my invoice file. Also, I wrote the date of the change in clusters and the mileage of both at the time of the swap in the owners manual.

With this info I could then still keep track of the total and true miles.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:23 PM
Flatlined
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to say the black gauge face cluster I have is around 109k miles. So about a years worth of driving.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:26 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Maybe the Turbo instrument cluster is different but when I had a used instrument cluster installed in my Boxster -- a used cluster to address a problem with the original instrument cluster that had the airbag warning light on all the time -- the tech tried to set the replacement cluster mileage to the same mileage as the original cluster mileage -- and much higher mileage than the replacement cluster mileage -- and was unsuccessful. He said the Porsche diagnostic computer can only be used to change the miles if the miles are below a certain threshold, essentially at new cluster miles.

To change the used cluster miles would have required sending the new (used) cluster out along with the old (original) cluster to a shop that would then read out of the original cluster EEPROM all that was unique to the original cluster and program it into the new (used) cluster EEPROM.

I elected to not do this. (Just didn't want to send the cluster out for what would have been the 3rd time.) The dealer service invoice noted the original cluster mileage and the new (used) cluster mileage and I put this invoice into my invoice file. Also, I wrote the date of the change in clusters and the mileage of both at the time of the swap in the owners manual.

That is a thing a responsible owner would do... in the pre-Carfax days. But Carfax will now flag the VIN as a 'altered speedometer.'

Of course, that's not a problem if you never sell.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:14 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster

welp... this is going to be a hard pass if that’s the case. Thanks for sharing your experience
Old 01-24-2019, 05:23 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

its not that hard to take the cluster apart. the hard part is not breaking the needles when rermoving. i found replacement needles online and used them if i broke one. if you take your time and wind the needles in the right direction for accuracy it takes about 3-4 hrs from start to finish

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster question