Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is buying a tracked car for a daily a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 07:51 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by MezgerTT
I’m shocked at how much time you’ve wasted to dwell on something so trivial...
I haven't personally wasted a single second of my time.

Originally Posted by MezgerTT
..or letting their pointer go hunt, or at least take their skis to ski for once.
Well the 996 Turbo isn't an animate object (that's been my point though), so the pointer example is a swing and a miss.

And taking my skis out on the slopes doesn't mean I have to max. them out on an Olympic slalom or downhill course to enjoy them.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:55 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
I'd take a tracked super model over a garage queen 996 turbo.
But someone not tracking their 996 Turbo doesn't mean their car is a garage queen.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'd take a meticulously maintained and cared for 996 Turbo that has never seen any track over the same car that has seen the track. The problem with a very large number of 996 Turbos is that their "pedigree" is nearly impossible to establish.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:25 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I'd take a meticulously maintained and cared for 996 Turbo that has never seen any track over the same car that has seen the track.
how could that be the "same" car?

Originally Posted by Dock
The problem with a very large number of 996 Turbos is that their "pedigree" is nearly impossible to establish.
what "problem" might that be, other than an imagined one?

also, the "pedigree" of the 996 turbo is intrinsic to the car. it can't be impacted by the specific history of one 996 turbo over another.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

how could that be the "same" car?
The same in their meticulous care with the difference being one tracked and the other not tracked.

what "problem" might that be...
The problem faced by someone wanting to know if there is a track history.

also, the "pedigree" of the 996 turbo is intrinsic to the car. it can't be impacted by the specific history of one 996 turbo over another.
That's why the word is in quotations, implying it's history. If you want to substitute "history", be my guest. That would have been a better word for me to use, but I couldn't get the pointer off my mind and it affected my writing...
Old 01-18-2019, 09:07 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

lol. sure. ok. cheers.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:08 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,128 Posts

There are guys that track their cars and will religiously maintain them far better than many street cars timing out parts on an aggressive maintenance schedule while keeping complete and accurate records of everything performed. That is one extreme. We all know what the other extreme is of a neglected track rat. Most will fall somewhere in the middle and as such each car HAS to be evaluated on a case by case basis. There is no simple blanket answer but in many cases tracked cars are in far better shape than street cars. One must also keep in mind that “tracking” a car at 6/10th will also impart significantly less wear and tear than at 9/10th or 10/10th so it’s all relative.

I find most GT/Cup owners who track their cars passionate about the maintenance, many of whom maintain them with an open checkbook. My experience is that the TT cars generally do not receive the same level of care due to the lower price of entry which tends to directly corellate to a lower maintenance budget these cars receive. A 17 year old $40k TT will not cost less to maintain than a 7 year old $120k 7.2GT3, it’ll cost more. No matter the acquisition cost, the TT is still a $120k car from a maintenance standpoint when tracked. $750/hr is a good number for a heavily tracked car if you do a lot of the maintenance yourself. This includes consumables and engine / gearbox reserves.

I would approach a tracked TT with more caution than a tracked GT car but would not rule out any car just because of its past use. Simply give it the appropriate scrutiny during the pre purchase process.

Last edited by powdrhound; 01-18-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:14 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ipman
I am actively searching for a 996TT and some contenders have been historically tracked, some from 1-2 times, others more. From someone who wants a daily driver and has no plans to track it, is considering a tracked car going to cause more problems downstream? Reliability is my main concern.
If the cars you're looking at have only seen the track 10-20 times and you're not going to, why worry?
​​​​​​Because you rarely know the true/accurate history of a car.

I rebuilt my gearbox at 60k after I took it to the track about 10-12 days (some were half days). No idea how car was driven prior to my ownership, but it didn't have a bunch of helmet scuffs in the headliner. At some point when the car is between 50-100k and 14-19 years old, most rubber needs to be replaced anyways. Just buy whatever you like after a good inspection and figure the worst case scenario is you get a $10-15k bill the first year for a trans rebuild, or just find a reason to spend that much on tires, clutch, shocks, wheels, exhaust, tune, pinning/welding, battery, wipers and all the **** that adds up. One with 75k miles and lots of recent work vs the 45k version that will need fresh parts is a good consideration too.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:18 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Garage Queens can have easily more issues than a tracked car. Take mine for example. I bought it last summer with 29k miles on it. Owner had driven it 3000 miles in 6 years of ownership. He'd not changed the brake fluid ONCE in that time, nor the tires, etc, etc. A tracked car would've been maintained to a far higher level. Luckily I haven't had the typical failures seen from disuse with my car. All the rubber/belts/etc have been fine. However a car that sits around can easily have issues with the rubber degrading, so seals, belts, gaskets, etc, etc. That can cost you a TON of money!

However, in contrary to Dock's stance, I'd happily take a tracked car vs a garage queen, all things being equal. I KNOW the tracked car will have had regular fluid changes and inspections. The garage queen just sits there, like a statue, being neglected.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
The garage queen just sits there, like a statue, being neglected.
What's your specific definition of "garage queen" in terms of mileage driven/year? Or in your opinion is a garage queen a car that has not been tracked?

Why do you assume that a car that falls below whatever mileage/year you come up with that defines "garage queen" is a neglected (in terms of maintenance) car?
Old 01-19-2019, 01:23 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

For the same reason you think that a car that's been tracked is to be avoided at all costs. Ha!

My car was used ~550 miles a year. That's a garage queen. In my mind, anything that only gets a few thousand miles a year on it is a garage queen. Ie, something that doesn't get regular use. Not daily driven use, but comes out at least a half dozen times a month and gets some mileage on it. Otherwise it's a garage queen. Most people aren't enthusiasts. When they're not using something regularly, they assume that fluids, etc, etc don't need to be changed as they have no mileage on them.

I see it all the time as I'm the local PCA chapter Tech Chair. We regularly fail cars during track tech inspections because they haven't changed their brake fluid in years. Answer given when asked the last time the brake fluid was changed is "Well, the car only has 5,000 miles on it, why would I change the fluid??" Yeah, 5000 miles in 5 years. Fail! Go change the fluid, find me once you have and I'll inspect your car again...
Old 01-19-2019, 01:23 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

However, in contrary to Dock's stance, I'd happily take a tracked car vs a garage queen, all things being equal.
I didn't mention "garage queen" in my post. I said that I would take a meticulously maintained and cared for 996 Turbo that has never been tracked.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:39 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For the same reason you think that a car that's been tracked is to be avoided at all costs. Ha!
Is that your answer to my question about "garage queen" cars; garage queen cars are neglected cars in terms of maintenance?

In my mind, anything that only gets a few thousand miles a year on it is a garage queen.
So 2000 miles/year is a garage queen and is therefore a neglected car in terms of maintenance, but a car that gets 5000 miles/year isn't a garage queen and is expertly maintained? Do you assume that a car that is driven 20,000 miles/year means the brake fluid is changed regularly?

And what is your definition of "enthusiast" as it relates to Porsches? Does taking care of one's car in terms of maintenance make that person an enthusiast?
Old 01-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For the same reason you think that a car that's been tracked is to be avoided at all costs.
I've never said I think that a car that's been tracked is to be avoided at all costs.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:37 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Quick Reply: Is buying a tracked car for a daily a bad idea?