Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is buying a tracked car for a daily a bad idea?

Old 01-18-2019, 12:42 AM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Is buying a tracked car for a daily a bad idea?

I am actively searching for a 996TT and some contenders have been historically tracked, some from 1-2 times, others more. From someone who wants a daily driver and has no plans to track it, is considering a tracked car going to cause more problems downstream? Reliability is my main concern.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:23 AM
MezgerTT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buying a bad car is a bad idea, tracked or driven less than the time it takes to fully warm up each time.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:25 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Bought my car with 40k, no records, some track type mods like big brake kit, exhaust, ICs. As I worked on the car it was obvious it had been tracked by the rubber dingle ***** all over on the top of the bottom covers. I now have 90k on it with a few more track days and have had no issues relating to the track. If anything my car is in better shape because of track use and the attention to details it creates. Now a car that looks like a track rat is another story.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:50 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

It all depends on how well the car was driven and maintained.

The Mezger engine was designed to be raced so tracking it doesn't hurt it at all. Mis-shifts and overrevs, bad driving, whether on track or street does the damage.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Depends completely on what you mean by "tracked".

I had a GT350 that I did three hpde weekends with. But bone stock, no shenanigans, remaining firmly planted on the black part of the track at all times. Was it "tracked"? Strictly speaking, yes, but If that's the kind of tracking we're talking about, I see no issues.

On the other hand, a car that has been lowered, cambered, with a scrotch harness and all sorts of other nosebleed mods, driven ballz to the wall at 10/10 every weekend, with plenty of time spent in gravel pits and maybe a bump or two to the body, then **** no, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 feet pole.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:25 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I sold my 993 after tracking it heavily for 7 years. I felt like she had a good run and it was time to let her live out the rest of her life cruising through retirement as a street car. The car was put back to stock, cleaned up, and became a gorgeous reliable cruiser. So gorgeous that I eventually tried to buy it back, with no luck.

After knowing what my 993 was able to put up with on the track day after day with no sweat, I feel like there is nothing on the street that could stress that car, aside from unreasonable abuse of course.

IMO, if you're going to use it as a street car only, I wouldn't sweat the fact it's been tracked. Obviously this is assuming the car checks out in all areas.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:54 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

our mezger motors are unusually robust and reliable. previous tracking the car shouldn't be considered an impediment to purchase as such. it is, as suggested all about the regular care and maintenance. my current car has been to willow springs more times than i have and at 160K+ miles. and while it's been "retired" from that type of workout, no issues to report.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:24 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

I would not hesitate because it was on a race track. Tracked cars are usually better maintained. If it was a full on track car with 100s of days and many mod and track rash I would say it should stay a track car.
The following users liked this post:
UFGator911 (02-14-2023)
Old 01-18-2019, 02:12 PM
MezgerTT
Advanced

For the first couple times you go on track, you’re probably sitting next to an instructor who wants you to slow and smooth, learn the line and time the breaking zones. You’re driving safer than you were on the streets and canyons. I wouldn’t be concerned about owners admitting their p-car having tracked a couple times. They weren’t confident or foolish enough to be dangerous yet. A pcar that has never been on proper racing pavement is just sad. It’s like a Land Rover that has never gone off road and let the suspension articulate fully.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by MezgerTT
I wouldn’t be concerned about owners admitting their p-car having tracked a couple times.
At what number over "a couple of times" would you start being concerned, or is two the number?

A pcar that has never been on proper racing pavement is just sad.
Do you think the car actually knows?
Old 01-18-2019, 03:38 PM
kc996
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I would not hesitate because it was on a race track. Tracked cars are usually better maintained. If it was a full on track car with 100s of days and many mod and track rash I would say it should stay a track car.
I agree. Also, Magnus Walker said he prefers to buy "tracked" cars because he knows they were well maintained. Magnus owns more Porsches than most of us here.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:55 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't think it's a valid blanket statement to say that tracked cars are well maintained.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:21 PM
MezgerTT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dock
At what number over "a couple of times" would you start being concerned, or is two the number?
Yeah, taking the car to a remote track takes time, effort and commitment. It can mean the person have a chance to get familiar enough with the track to start taking more chances, like approaching the corners too hot, and beyond their shifting abilities and consistency. That assumes they know how to apply heel-n-toe or at least rev match consistently without fail. The standard setup of the TT is also not really robust enough for repeated aggressive track use. It’ll shorten the life of the components. I’d rather see the original parts be taken off and preserved during prolonged track use periods.

Taking a drive to see how the owner treats his/her car especially with up and down shift habits is a good thing.

Do you think the car actually knows?
No, but it’s sad nevertheless.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:33 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I don't think it's a valid blanket statement to say that tracked cars are well maintained.
I agree. No different than for a street only car you're trying to buy. Do your due diligence and interrogate the seller, then make your judgements. Don't judge a car on "tracked vs not tracked."

Although I'd say if a car did have significant track time over a number of years and still looks good and runs well now, it likely was maintained and driven well. Otherwise the car wouldn't have lasted this long without major issues.

​​​
Old 01-18-2019, 04:38 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah, taking the car to a remote track takes time, effort and commitment. It can mean the person have a chance to get familiar enough with the track to start taking more chances, like approaching the corners too hot, and beyond their shifting abilities and consistency. That assumes they know how to apply heel-n-toe or at least rev match consistently without fail. The standard setup of the TT is also not really robust enough for repeated aggressive track use. It’ll shorten the life of the components. I’d rather see the original parts be taken off and preserved during prolonged track use periods.
So the answer is more than twice?

No, but it’s sad nevertheless.
I suggest you not be sad for either the car or the owner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is buying a tracked car for a daily a bad idea?