Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum-61/)
-   -   Is buying a tracked car for a daily a bad idea? (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/1124654-is-buying-a-tracked-car-for-a-daily-a-bad-idea.html)

g-50cab 01-19-2019 03:40 PM

I think like most things - it depends on the car and the PO. I've tracked several cars and I can tell you they are maintained to a very high standard. I've also bought two garage queens that have taken a fair amount of mula to bring up to snuff. So - I would be more concerned about maintenance and and how meticulous the PO is. BTW - my cars always run better after a weekend at the track.

MezgerTT 01-20-2019 12:26 AM

A car is like a body. If you don’t use it you’ll lose it. It’s takes more than regular grooming and checkups to build strength and endurance.

10 min walks aren’t enough for the body, and driving to the coffee-n-cars meet on Saturdays aren’t enough for a sports car developed with the Nurburgring in mind.

The Mezger, like our derrière, truly becomes stronger the more you work it rather than sitting around.

Dock 01-20-2019 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by MezgerTT (Post 15579133)
The Mezger, like our derrière, truly becomes stronger the more you work it rather than sitting around.

Outside the break in period, how does further use cause the Mezger to get stronger?

Dock 01-20-2019 12:50 AM

...driving to the coffee-n-cars meet on Saturdays aren’t enough for a sports car developed with the Nurburgring in mind.

The car knows where it's being driven?

BSO 01-20-2019 01:12 AM

Any car that represents a substantial investment and expensive repairs for failures needs to be looked at carefully, particularly if its history is nebulous. No documents, no sale. As far as tracking, only if I knew the previous owner would I consider, still probably a no, that's just me.

I don't intend to track my car, but it doesn't mean it won't get wound out regularly.

Claims that engines get stronger after they are broken in are usually true, however, after prolonged use, wear takes an inevitable toll and they get weaker, just normal.

tojo92 01-21-2019 11:46 PM

Ipman = Ignacio?

Staton

2fcknfst 01-24-2019 05:13 PM

Of everything I value on Rennlist, there is nothing more entertaining than watching Dock be logical.

MezgerTT 01-24-2019 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst (Post 15590412)
Of everything I value on Rennlist, there is nothing more entertaining than watching Dock be logical.

Is he logical? How is he logical?

MezgerTT 01-24-2019 11:26 PM

On the other hand, it’s a bad idea to track a garage queen. I wouldn’t even take it for a canyon run.

2fcknfst 01-25-2019 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by MezgerTT (Post 15591269)

Is he logical? How is he logical?

I am the very first to admit that I have a very unhealthy relationship with my motors.

Dock 01-25-2019 03:01 AM

...driving to the coffee-n-cars meet on Saturdays aren’t enough for a sports car developed with the Nurburgring in mind.

Do you know someone who only drives their 996 Turbo to coffee-n-cars on Saturdays?

michalik.piotr 01-25-2019 04:37 AM

Jesus Christ, Doc, you have got to be the single biggest fuc*king dooshbag I have ever seen on car forums. I would have banned your dumb irritating ass a long time ago. You ruin every thread you post on with complete bullsh*it, never ever positively contributing in anyway. Bro, STFU!

911 Rod 01-25-2019 04:19 PM

^^^ Pretty much sums it up.

It really depends at what level it was tracked. Would I buy a car that one of my students drives? All day long. Would I buy a car that i drive on the track. Doubt it. Hard track time puts a lot of stress on a car.

Scott. 01-25-2019 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by 911 Rod (Post 15592719)
^^^ Pretty much sums it up.

x2, it's like the herpes of the 996TT forum.

2fcknfst 02-01-2019 06:25 PM

You guys are kind of hard on Dock... so much 'life' is lost in this medium of communication, and perhaps there is an explanation as to why you guys think he is a Doosh - do any of you know him outside of this forum? It's way easier to judge from the back end of a PC than if you know the guy in person...

Maybe he's a really nice guy in person, and doosh comes out on the board because he is type simple (is not tech savvy) or perhaps he is in fact better than all of us. Maybe he's got a high stress job and this forum allows him to go after idiots in a safe and humane fashion...

Maybe.