Notes from Dealership Service/Questions/Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 01:17 AM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Notes from Dealership Service/Questions/Impressions

Hi All,

First, I want to say how impressed I am with Stevinson Porsche here in the Denver area. Working with Geoff and Chance has been awesome. They took quite a bit of time out of their morning to go through my list of concerns and to show me all the fun cars in the shop that day - including Chance's GT2 and a brand new GT2 RS. I wouldn't hesitate to bring my car back here when I need dealer work.

1. I had a check engine light on when I went in - turned out to be the gas cap of all things. I had just replaced it but used a generic one and apparently, the car didn't like that...
2. The annoying rattle in my headliner may end up being the special mounted Valentine 1 that I could never find - it appears it might be mounted in the headliner - which seems interesting..

Question Item - My car does appear to have the Porsche short shift kit. This seems to be why my shifter feels a bit on the notchy side - it sort of feels like I have two clicks to get into gears sometime. Does anyone have any tips for correcting this? Chance doesn't see any real adjustments and the solution seems to be to ditch it - which would be over 800 bucks. For that, I'll just keep it. I just wish I could adjust out that weird notchy feeling that is most noticeable in 1st and 2nd.

Now waiting to hear what the problem is with my squeaky suspension!

Thoughts on the short shifter are greatly appreciated!
Old 11-14-2018, 02:04 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtpeper
Chance doesn't see any real adjustments...
There are not any adjustments on the shifter itself, but the cables are adjustable. That's where I'd start. Additionally, when at a stop I would recommend selecting 2nd gear followed by selecting 1st gear and then starting off.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:50 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,591 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Lube the shifter linkage with graphite.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:25 AM
sgtpeper
Racer

Thanks. I do always go second to first - after all, I do also have a classic Alfa and grew up on classic English and Italian cars. Hitting second before going into first is second nature for me.

I'll ask them if they can look at the cables and lube the linkage.

The only way I can describe it is that it sort of feels like the short shift kit on one of my first cars when I was 16 (an '88 Scirocco 16v!) that had worn bushings. When you would shift you could sort of feel where it was supposed to stop but you could push through that to the bottom of the gear.

Can't be normal haha
Old 11-14-2018, 11:07 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I have been going to Chance for a long time. He is very knowledgeable and a straight shooter. If he says there is no way to adjust what you have in and it bugs you I would have them put another in. You might save by buying the short shifter and bringing the parts to Chance for installation. From what I remember, there are some important steps in the installation if not followed results in notchey feel (Dock is correct in it has something to do with cables when installed). I know a lot of folks complained about the B&M SSK as being notchey and mine has been smooth as butter for 15 years.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:49 AM
dcbailey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found that my shifting improved with a change of engine mounts to the 964RS mounts. It had been quite notchy as well. I'm going to change out the transmission mount, as well, soon based on other's reports.

Last edited by dcbailey; 11-20-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:26 PM
r6vr6
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

Have them look to see if the shifter weights have been removed on the transmission where the cables attach. It will definitely make the shifts more notchy and higher effort. I like it though because I can feel more of what is happening during a shift some people may not.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:17 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

"notchy" shifting 1-2, is often ( sooner than the absurd 90k porsche says is the change interval ) just your g'box asking for new oil. delvac or redline.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:01 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Geoff and Chance area great combo...

On the notchy shifting, I'd
1) change the transmission fluid, and pony up for the very expensive OEM mobilube ptx (pretty much only available at the dealer),
2) replace the motor mounts, even if it's just to a fresh set of OEM mounts,
3) check the transmission mounts, and replace or "window weld" them as well.

On the rattle, didn't we discuss the hidden V1 as a possible rattle source way back when?
Old 11-19-2018, 12:45 AM
sgtpeper
Racer

Yep, the rattle is most likely the V1 in the headliner. They're taking the whole thing apart so we can get at it. It also seems like some of the ribs may be disconnected - I found that this problem happened a few years ago as well per the invoices I have from previous owners.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:27 AM
pcasanova
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Was looking at a car in Stevinson Porsche, found out they had 1 or 2 top notch mechanics there that actually know their stuff. You should be in good hands.

Quick Reply: Notes from Dealership Service/Questions/Impressions