Old 02-05-2004 | 10:08 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by ColorChange
John: My apologies too. Sharky, tighten it up bro, I backed ya!
I don't want the exact details out there for the reasons mentioned above but remember, it's not mechanically locked, so I still stand by that- I wouldn't take my car on one.

Thanks for getting my back tho! As I said before I'm just worried that the same thing will happen to you guys as did to me already.
Old 02-05-2004 | 01:46 PM
John @ Dynapack
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No apologies necessary guys, we often get mistaken for other dynos. One of the people we get mixed up with is a similar "bolt on" dyno, and another is a non-coupled roller machine that is manufactured in a similar part of the world - neither of these machines operate with the precision of the Dynapack system. My main point was, if this had happened on a Dynapack, I would have had an angry customer calling me on the phone. So when this this came up, I was highly doubtful. I called all of my customers and when it didn't check out, I was getting a little ticked that this issue was still unresolved.

Sharkster, if you don't feel safe putting your car on the dyno, I understand - especially with your experience on another machine - I'd probably be hesitant too. But for others that are contemplating it, just let it be known that we have a number of 4wd Dynapack owners that have run these cars with no problem - please don't tell people that our dyno will hurt your diff just because it is not mechanically linked, because it just isn't true in our case. If you need any more convincing, I have a number of people that I can refer you to. The bottom line is that the Dynapack dyno does not and has not hurt one of these cars - regardless of what is being perpetuated by some other dyno companies. I can't speak for what has or may occur on other machines, but at least we got it clarified that Sharksters failure did not occur on a Dynapack.

If you guys have any more questions or need any assistance, please feel free to give me a call or e-mail me directly.

Thanks,

John @ Dynapack USA
Dynapackjohn@earthlink.net
(559) 292-3800
Old 02-05-2004 | 02:02 PM
John @ Dynapack
AutoX

Originally posted by dfarrow
As far as what the dyno "sees" is there any difference between a Tip and a manual? I understand from Stephen's explanation that the 996tt system is different from earlier systems.
As far as what the dyno "sees" - I don't think that the dyno would react much differently, but it may require a slightly different technique in operating the vehicle. The last 996 I personally worked with was at Meridian in LA, and I can't remember if it was a tiptronic or a manual, but I think it was a tiptronic. It tested without any trouble at all.

Stephen: Is the differential system any different between a Tip and a manual?

I have a customer on the east coast that has also tested them. I am going to try and get them to put a video on their website. If I can get them to get this up, I'll let you guys know.
Old 02-05-2004 | 07:47 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No they are identical. How they load and unload is much different. My concern as well as Porsche's hence the warning of use on a uncoupled dyno (Porsche's words, not mine) is the unlocking of the TQ converter and the intervention of the PSM. The six speed doesn't have the jerky behavior of the tip on the dyno for several reasons. How does the dyno handle the fast reaction time of this? I am curious as to the typical correction time the DynaPack takes? PLEASE do not misread this...I really am interested in knowing how far these systems have come. Maintaining a 2-3RPM per wheel under constant load is one thing, trying to cope with the throttle body jerking back and forth along with the tip TQC unlocking is another ball game and corrections and constant load are very important in this instance.
Old 02-06-2004 | 03:18 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Not to add another variable, but what about a C4s/Turbo on the MAHA dyno? This dyno is used extensively by Volkswagen and Audi as well as many, many tuners in Europe (Sportec, Abt, etc).

It has 4 rollers, but to my knowledge, it is not mechanically locked.

Anyone?
Old 03-18-2004 | 04:41 AM
hatchy
Racer

Here is a 993TT and a 996TT on a Dyno Dynamics Dyno. I don't think this dyno is mechanically linked, and I know this shop has a lot of AWD customers (one of 2 4wheel dynos in the area).

http://www.vishnutuning.com/images/p...rbodyno560.jpg
http://www.vishnutuning.com/images/911turbodyno560.jpg
Old 03-18-2004 | 01:05 PM
John @ Dynapack
AutoX

I don't know the exact specs on that dyno, but I would think that the RPM variance on that machine would be quite a bit higher than the Dynapack - Keep in mind that I'm not saying that this machine is a problem for these cars, but if you're worried about RPM variance on a Dynapack (we've already proven that you shouldn't) you should be even more worried about a non-linked eddy-current roller machine.
Old 03-18-2004 | 04:16 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by hatchy
Here is a 993TT and a 996TT on a Dyno Dynamics Dyno. I don't think this dyno is mechanically linked, and I know this shop has a lot of AWD customers (one of 2 4wheel dynos in the area).

http://www.vishnutuning.com/images/p...rbodyno560.jpg
http://www.vishnutuning.com/images/911turbodyno560.jpg
Vishnu's dyno is supposed to be mechanically linked from what I've been told?
Old 03-18-2004 | 05:54 PM
John @ Dynapack
AutoX

By looking at the Dyno Dynamics website, it isn't linked - unless I'm looking at the wrong model.

Quick Reply: Dynapack and AWD drivetrain