How many owners is too many?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 10:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
One is too many - 7 folks driving a hi performance vehicle in a high performance manner that does not necessarily align with my idea of hi performance driving - no thanks, to many things can be wrong under the surface.
I feel the same way, except I would be open to the right one owner car.

Another problem with multiple owner high performance cars is that, in addition to them having probably been driven in a manner not necessarily aligned with my idea of high performance driving, the higher the number of owners the higher the chance that there have been modifications and/or mechanical repairs done that I would not have personally done and that I might find hard to identify.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:21 PM
TripleBlue
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the insight. I will keep looking.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:05 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
I lived in Mission beach San Diego, 1 block from the beach. The bottom of my 1956 XK140 was rustier in two years than 4 year daily drive in NJ.
i had a 53 xk 120M. it was rusted by age even then, 40 years ago.. now i have a foggy 996 turbo. in a garage 100 yards from the ocean. i have learned.

back OT? the "one owner too many"? is the one that immediately precedes or even follows you.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:04 AM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Lots of good opinions above.

I'm against ****-shaming, but 7 still seems like a lot, IMHO.

My car had 38k miles and 4 previous owners when I bought it. The previous owners definitely bother me more than a high mileage car would, as at least one of them probably wasn't an awesome driver (I'm expecting an expensive transmission refresh soon. I nor the shop that did my PPI caught the notchyness going into first gear).
Old 09-25-2018, 01:27 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,011 Likes on 3,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I feel the same way, except I would be open to the right one owner car.

Another problem with multiple owner high performance cars is that, in addition to them having probably been driven in a manner not necessarily aligned with my idea of high performance driving, the higher the number of owners the higher the chance that there have been modifications and/or mechanical repairs done that I would not have personally done and that I might find hard to identify.
Agreed. Even though I knew the car (and previous one owner...) since new, and I knew it was taken care of, I still got strapped with malfunctioing wing, odd short in the brake wear indicator and a squeak coming from somewhere on the rear suspension. Now, this interface does not allow for the proper expression of emotion, but I will try:

I hate the squeak, and I mean loathe it. I have lubricated and greased everything to find it, and quell its incessant, irritating, finger nails on chalk boards pain. I have done everything, short of taking the entire rear suspension apart, to find this squeak, but to no avail. I comment on this to the previous owner and his response is that he couldn't hear anything over his hearing aids and knew nothing of its existence. But its there, quietly sitting in wait until the car so much as rolls out of its parking space, then, its back. It stays with me all the way home; I get out at home, rock the car, no squeak. Get my considerably more patient than me other half to stand at the back of the car as I roll it up and down my alley, and guess what? No squeak, until of course, the next day when I roll off the work, it is back and the cycle starts again.

I will find it. I will kill it. But boy does it **** me off, and all of this with only one previous owner, I think I would go insane with seven...
Old 09-25-2018, 01:36 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
...and a squeak coming from somewhere on the rear suspension.
Are you sure it's not coming from somewhere in the engine bay area?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:49 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,011 Likes on 3,051 Posts

Yes - I am pretty sure it is coming from the right side and it only makes itself known as the suspension cycles up/down, more so on compression than rebound. I was thinking that it is the plate at the top of the Bilstein coil over and the mounting point on the car. The problem with that is that when it was assembled, a smattering of grease went into that void space (I have learned from past experiences...), but I cannot recall if I did the same with the bolts. Since then, I have gone in with WD40 silicone and its still there...

As I said, I suspect I will take it apart over the coming winter down time, because next summer is going to be road trip time, and squeaks are not welcome.

Quick Reply: How many owners is too many?