New 996TT owner!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 10:15 PM
krs1skier
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Smile New 996TT owner!

Hi All-

I have a new to me 996TT that I picked up in January from my local Porsche dealer. 47k miles, bone stock, original, seal grey coupe. The car had a bit of work done by the dealer to get it ready to sell. 2 outer radiators, clutch accumulator, fluids, filters, plugs, tires. I've been a Porsche nut since I was a little kid, so getting this car has fulfilled a lifelong dream. After 9 Audis and 14 years owning a TT coupe I was ready for my Porsche. I traded a '13 Audi TT coupe on a local 996TT.

On my way home from the dealer I experienced some issues with 1st gear..great start to ownership! I've experienced enough clutch replacements, synchro repairs, trans replacements on the Audis that I'm not new to game. Since I bought it at the dealer I did have some support vs a private seller. I brought it back and they did a linkage adjustment. Next trip back it was a detent. Trip after that was a first gear synchro, also had them install a new clutch, 997 console and numeric shift cables. Next and most recent trip the transmission was removed and sent to BMC&G (Brian Copans) in Ohio for a full rebuild - new 1st gear, outer syncros on 1st gear, shift sleeve, 8 out of 10 bearings (All Porsche OEM parts $$$). After being out of commission for the last 7 weeks I finally got the car back from the dealer and it shifts very smooth now. I'm looking forward to putting many miles on the car before it comes off the road for the NY Winter.

One item I still need to fix is an occasional buzzing coming from the speakers. I thought it was just FM radio giving some shortwave radio type buzz, but I heard it while listening to a CD the other day. Has anyone else had this issue with a 996? Is it the BOSE speakers? I've replaced a few speakers with new from BOSE on a bunch of my Audis over the years. When those went you would get some popping at certain volumes and it was easy enough to locate where it was coming from. Not really sure where to start on the 996 trying to sort out this issue. The dealer had cleaned up the ground for the antenna where it attaches to the body under the A pillar. I really don't want to go aftermarket and deal with trying to match speakers to the Bose system.

So that is my first 8 months of ownership. Still need to give the car a full detail once the weather cools off and I can spend some late nights in the garage. The reason I don't detail anymore is sitting on my lap. I also plan on removing the built in K40 radar system.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:48 AM
pancing
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts

I have that same buzzing, its an electrical issue, sound changes via RPM, turning the headlights on, flicking the highbeams, best way to really dampen the sound is loud music,exhaust or turning the radio off. Probably the reason why people say our cars sound like dyson vacs.
I'm not exactly sure you can fix it as I've checked with 3 different techs, one being a mechanic in tampa that worked on porsche racing teams, all saying if you can hear it you're not revving high enough. which basically meant, leave it alone.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:27 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

No buzzing on my 2003C2 when I had it or the 2004TT now. Both E/W Bose. As you probably know bad ground is most often the cause.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:24 AM
ichsan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on your new ride!

One of the best Porsche 911!

Originally Posted by krs1skier
Hi All-

I have a new to me 996TT that I picked up in January from my local Porsche dealer. 47k miles, bone stock, original, seal grey coupe. The car had a bit of work done by the dealer to get it ready to sell. 2 outer radiators, clutch accumulator, fluids, filters, plugs, tires. I've been a Porsche nut since I was a little kid, so getting this car has fulfilled a lifelong dream. After 9 Audis and 14 years owning a TT coupe I was ready for my Porsche. I traded a '13 Audi TT coupe on a local 996TT.

On my way home from the dealer I experienced some issues with 1st gear..great start to ownership! I've experienced enough clutch replacements, synchro repairs, trans replacements on the Audis that I'm not new to game. Since I bought it at the dealer I did have some support vs a private seller. I brought it back and they did a linkage adjustment. Next trip back it was a detent. Trip after that was a first gear synchro, also had them install a new clutch, 997 console and numeric shift cables. Next and most recent trip the transmission was removed and sent to BMC&G (Brian Copans) in Ohio for a full rebuild - new 1st gear, outer syncros on 1st gear, shift sleeve, 8 out of 10 bearings (All Porsche OEM parts $$$). After being out of commission for the last 7 weeks I finally got the car back from the dealer and it shifts very smooth now. I'm looking forward to putting many miles on the car before it comes off the road for the NY Winter.

One item I still need to fix is an occasional buzzing coming from the speakers. I thought it was just FM radio giving some shortwave radio type buzz, but I heard it while listening to a CD the other day. Has anyone else had this issue with a 996? Is it the BOSE speakers? I've replaced a few speakers with new from BOSE on a bunch of my Audis over the years. When those went you would get some popping at certain volumes and it was easy enough to locate where it was coming from. Not really sure where to start on the 996 trying to sort out this issue. The dealer had cleaned up the ground for the antenna where it attaches to the body under the A pillar. I really don't want to go aftermarket and deal with trying to match speakers to the Bose system.

So that is my first 8 months of ownership. Still need to give the car a full detail once the weather cools off and I can spend some late nights in the garage. The reason I don't detail anymore is sitting on my lap. I also plan on removing the built in K40 radar system.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:09 AM
tnE30fan
Intermediate

Congrats! Gorgeous car.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:31 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 259 Posts

Welcome!
Old 08-30-2018, 10:17 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Welcome and congrats! Sorry to hear of the transmission issues, but sounds like that issue has now been dealt with.

Enjoy the car! Your child will grow ip with many fond memories of "Dad's 911 Turbo!"
Old 08-30-2018, 10:39 AM
cy911tt
Advanced

Congrats on the new ride! It’s a beaut! Welcome to the club, glad to hear you have the tranny problems sorted out, but sorry for your pain.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:40 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

welcome aboard...

I have a 3 and 5 year old, they love Porsche rides!

Old 08-30-2018, 12:52 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

Signal cables (audio for example)should always have an overall shield. The shield should be grounded at one location. I would take the car to a dedicated high end stereo installer. They should be able to confirm the shielding is present and connected to ground. If it is ask them about installing a capacitor in the power supply circuit. A properly placed capacitor acts as a filter to noise. Often noise from the high voltage spark plugs or even the alternator makes its way to the signal circuits. Many cables do not have this shield and just ground the negative wire through the amplifier circuit. This works if not adjacent to or near higher voltage circuits. Does the frequency of the noise or buzzing change as you pick up speed?
Old 08-30-2018, 01:18 PM
Selcuk
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations ..
Great car !

Old 08-30-2018, 01:31 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,184 Likes on 3,163 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
No buzzing on my 2003C2 when I had it or the 2004TT now. Both E/W Bose. As you probably know bad ground is most often the cause.
+1; buzzing is a bad ground somewhere.

Welcome - love the color!
Old 09-09-2018, 02:09 AM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome! I love the color! You will definitely enjoy this for a very long time!
Old 09-17-2018, 08:48 AM
kano501
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. Just picked up a seal gray myaelf with low mileage over labor day! Looking to do some upkeep them a little performance upgrades. 😉
Old 09-17-2018, 01:45 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats. You’ll love it

Quick Reply: New 996TT owner!