Sponsored by:

first track-day in the 996t

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 12:56 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default first track-day in the 996t

Long story; short... I had originally signed up for this track day as an event to allow prospective buyers a chance to buy my 996 race car. The day before the event, a buyer shows up with cash not even wanting to test drive it. Nice fella. He seemed very excited. It made the transaction easier in knowing that he was going to enjoy it as much as I did. So I scrambled to get the Miata ready... I remember having some minor issues at the last race... an exhaust rattle. I sourced it to the downpipe rattling away from the turbo housing. 4 out of 6 studs had fallen out. Unfortunately, the threads in the housing were messed up and I wasn't able to reach them with a tap. Now, it's very late ... not quite morning... the combination of busted knuckles and sleep deporvation was messing with my good judgement: I start eyeing up the 996tt.

Yes... mechanically intact. Questionable rear pad depth. 114K on the suspension...Bridgestone street tires circa 2012... Perfect! I pull it in and flush the brake fluid, top up the oil and load up the jacks with the hope of sourcing a set of rear brake pads and changing them trackside.

The event went remarkably well. Except the first lap... which lit up my dash warning lights like a Christmas tree. Hood ajar,brake fluid low, PCM failure. I pulled off to re-ck and all was fine. It must have been the roughness of the track (using the burms at apex, etc.). I turned the PCM off and all was fine... In fact, it was a very fun day spent with my street car! Thx goes out to UMW whose "tune" kept me respectable beside the new American muscle cars. ...now where to go for new brake pads and wear indicator kits.... ;}
Old 08-19-2018, 10:15 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gtred
Long story; short... I had originally signed up for this track day as an event to allow prospective buyers a chance to buy my 996 race car. The day before the event, a buyer shows up with cash not even wanting to test drive it. Nice fella. He seemed very excited. It made the transaction easier in knowing that he was going to enjoy it as much as I did. So I scrambled to get the Miata ready... I remember having some minor issues at the last race... an exhaust rattle. I sourced it to the downpipe rattling away from the turbo housing. 4 out of 6 studs had fallen out. Unfortunately, the threads in the housing were messed up and I wasn't able to reach them with a tap. Now, it's very late ... not quite morning... the combination of busted knuckles and sleep deporvation was messing with my good judgement: I start eyeing up the 996tt.

Yes... mechanically intact. Questionable rear pad depth. 114K on the suspension...Bridgestone street tires circa 2012... Perfect! I pull it in and flush the brake fluid, top up the oil and load up the jacks with the hope of sourcing a set of rear brake pads and changing them trackside.

The event went remarkably well. Except the first lap... which lit up my dash warning lights like a Christmas tree. Hood ajar,brake fluid low, PCM failure. I pulled off to re-ck and all was fine. It must have been the roughness of the track (using the burms at apex, etc.). I turned the PCM off and all was fine... In fact, it was a very fun day spent with my street car! Thx goes out to UMW whose "tune" kept me respectable beside the new American muscle cars. ...now where to go for new brake pads and wear indicator kits.... ;}
What did the guys on the Miata Forum think?
Old 08-20-2018, 11:33 AM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Miata Forum? I did end up running the Miata in Sunday's Conference race despite the mechanical issues and finished a respectable 6th. While I couldn't find actual "baling wire", I did in fact daisy chain a couple of hose clamps together for a awesomely ghetto fix. All in fun. I don't think that anyone in the Miata Forum needs to know about this!

Old 08-20-2018, 01:55 PM
nelsontod
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

is that a quarter inch header? lol
Old 08-21-2018, 04:16 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 213 Posts

You sold the 996TT to this guy and then took it to the track while he was getting the money together?
Old 08-21-2018, 07:19 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 410 Posts

no he sold his 996 race car that he planned to track the next day, so he took his other 996, the turbo.

Quick Reply: first track-day in the 996t