Disconnect PSM for track work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 05:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Scawt
People can go to the track if they want, give it a rest.
Let me be the first to break this to you; this is a discussion forum, and there is no rule here stating that everyone has to have the same opinion.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:16 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

People can go to the track if they want...
Where did you see me opine otherwise??
Old 07-14-2018, 05:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by THP23
But that isn't why he bought it
I have no idea, but regardless of the answer it doesn't have to be in stone...right??
Old 07-14-2018, 05:22 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Let me be the first to break this to you; this is a discussion forum, and there is no rule here stating that everyone has to have the same opinion.
Yeah and you have an annoying opinion about everything.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah and you have an annoying opinion about everything.
You can probably guess that I have some rather pointed personal opinions about people like you, and if this were a free-for-all forum, then you'd read them here. But I think the thread should stay on track, so I won't go down that road. I would though be MORE than happy to continue the discussion with you via PM. I'm looking forward to hearing from you there...
Old 07-14-2018, 05:40 PM
Scott.
Pro

Originally Posted by Dock
You can probably guess that I have some rather pointed personal opinions about people like you, and if this were a free-for-all forum, then you'd read them here. But I think the thread should stay on track, so I won't go down that road. I would though be MORE than happy to continue the discussion with you via PM. I'm looking forward to hearing from you there...
This thread was on track until your annoying opinion was injected on what the OP should do with his car, which is his personal choice, not yours. I could care less what you think about me and I don't want to talk with you via PM.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I could care less...
Did you mean to say "I couldn't care less"??
Old 07-14-2018, 08:12 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Josh, as per our conversation last night, the connector is directly next the the PSM pump which is directly under the brake master cylinder. Remove the plastic cover and you will see it. As I said, if driven at 7/10s, simply switching off the dash button will work. If you are an experienced racer who will drive at +9/10s and are skilled at rotating the car under braking, PSM will be a huge hindrance and you will cook your rear brakes. Anyone that tells you otherwise is simply driving the car at a more sedate pace. People will tell you the TT understeers but that is a misconception. Yes, the car will understeer if you try to carve it through a turn under throttle but If you know how to drive the car and load up the front end under braking, you will have no problem with turn in even on a stock suspension.

For a novice or someone learning the car, I'd just leave PSM on. If you are running HPR at 2:07 or slower leave PSM on. At a 2:00-2:07 pace I'd turn it off via the dash button. If you are an advanced level driver and can comfortably run HPR at 2:00 or less, I'd unplug PSM to fully take it out of the loop. Running a heavy car like a turbo at +5000' elevation on a +100F day will tax your brakes. The last thing you want is to have PSM pumping more heat into them. Have fun next week and be safe...

BTW, do not pull any fuses as that will cause a loss of ABS. An NO, you can not get a proper track alignment with a stock suspension. You will need part$ unfortunately. It's a slippery slope.

Last edited by powdrhound; 07-16-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:30 PM
Scott.
Pro

x2 /\

See below for black plug to disconnect:

Old 07-14-2018, 08:49 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
That begs the question of what and how high the boundaries are? I'm not a racer but I'm not a novice driver. I usually run in the advanced/expert group, is this something that's going to be intervening on me a lot, so I need to unplug it?
Coming back to the original topic, you won't know how much PSM will intervene until you try. It depends a lot on the track, driver, and car setup (e.g., different age front vs. rear tires). I use it maybe 50% of the time until I'm really comfortable, and have never had rear brake issues (I cook both front & rear!) with it on or off. If it's unobtrusive on or using the soft-off of the dash switch, I don't know why you'd throw away the safety margin. It's saved me once or twice.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:59 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayzbird
If it's unobtrusive on or using the soft-off of the dash switch, I don't know why you'd throw away the safety margin.
I don't either.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:07 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by jayzbird

Coming back to the original topic, you won't know how much PSM will intervene until you try. It depends a lot on the track, driver, and car setup (e.g., different age front vs. rear tires). I use it maybe 50% of the time until I'm really comfortable, and have never had rear brake issues (I cook both front & rear!) with it on or off. If it's unobtrusive on or using the soft-off of the dash switch, I don't know why you'd throw away the safety margin. It's saved me once or twice.
There is definitely that. Powdrhound, I'm in the low 2's at HPR, not below 2 minutes. So I'll try it with just the button pushed and see how it does. I was underneath the car today and found that my car isn't quite as stock as I thought, as I found an aftermarket rear swaybar that has three settings and alloy end links installed. So I'll be able to play with rear roll stiffness a little bit...
Old 07-14-2018, 09:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
So I'll try it with just the button pushed and see how it does.
Do you have much 911 or 911 Turbo seat time?
Old 07-14-2018, 10:53 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just curious, but is the 996 gt3 set for track or does it require part$ to make it capable. Also from a 996tt to a 996 gt3 is the stock track experience that much different?
Old 07-14-2018, 11:06 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,591 Likes on 1,640 Posts

The GT3 comes out of the box much more ready for track use. The car is lower, has adjustable sway bars and adjustable lower control arms.That said a couple of my buddies have 996 GT3s and I have no trouble keeping up with them in my 996TT with aftermarket adjustable sway bars.

Quick Reply: Disconnect PSM for track work?