you suck at filming
Old 01-14-2004, 10:14 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely love the comments about the car being on jack stands and the fact that this guy doesn't deserve that car. I was rolling on the floor laughing. Thanks guys, the girlfriend was so happy when I woke her up. Anyways, the guy is probably a washing boy at the local Porsche dealer and he did this on his dinner break with a dealer car. The world my never know. Good luck everyone. Best wishes - Jay
Old 01-15-2004, 12:47 PM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Thumbs down

like someone mentioned on the 944/951 threads, that it does NOT take too much brains to buy a 996TT (or borrow it) and take it to the limits, film it and brag about it here on the rennlist.

take it to the track, man (boy?..)

we are not impressed.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Dang guys, lay off. A) You don't know where this happened -- it could have been on the autobahn. From what I could tell it definitely looked like a highway overseas -- the US doesn't have many perfectly straight and wide (and empty) and LONG roads such as that. B) From what I could see there was only one car he passed, which was in the right lane, and he was in the left.

I don't know why everyone on here always jumps on folks who post how much they speed. This discussion has been beaten to death and beyond, so why don't we just quit the griping about it?

I'm not condoning going 200 mph on I95, but I would, in a heart beat, go 200 mph in a 996 TT if I lived in Germany. And so would any of you.

-Matt

Old 01-15-2004, 01:18 PM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Matt, you've got a point !
Old 01-15-2004, 06:03 PM
biiig-hp
Instructor

I can't figure out why you guy's are so hard on this guy. The only part I don't agree with is doing it at night and passing anyone. Other than that what's the big deal, There's an exotic car group up here in my neck of the woods that get together ever Sunday Morning at 6:00 am and go for a three hour blast on the outskirts. From my knowledge over the last 6 years there's only been two accidents. One an F-40 hitting a dear and the other a 360 lost it and flipped it into the ditch. They have a great bunch of roads they use to do this and its a blast.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:59 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I am all for spirited (common sense) driving and think the artifically low speed limits in the USA are just avenues (pun intended) for extra revenue....basically I think they are BS and there have been some GREAT threads in the archives on this matter.

Yes I have done some stupid driving before, but I did not brag about how stupid I was. I hit 160 in TX on the way home this summer but...... it was 7 am (daylight) before the roads got too hot, I was wearing my seat belt, had a roll bar and had both hands on the wheel. I told myself I would only look down once I had had enough and that happened to be about the top speed of my car. Was it stupid? Probably, but I will tell you I was EXTREAMLY
Old 01-15-2004, 10:13 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Sorry not finished, not sure what happened and I am sure I butchered a few word before hitting spell check.

anyway, I was extremely focused and no one was on my flat road that I could see forever.

I think the problem people have is not only that he was doing this at night, with no seat belt, with one hand listening to cheesy trance, but that he was somewhat bragging about it, "well topic says it all .. if was pretty fast , i didnt expect the car to reach that time in such a short distance . I was holding the steering wheel with one hand and my sony cam on the other lol
anyway the speed it says on the thingy is 328 KM/h which is close to 204 Miles , but im running 19"wheels so im sure thats not 100% correct + my car is a tip (5speed) + havent lowered the pss9's at all its about stock height
*every 15 secs there is a 1 sec cut because i converted the video in camera via memory card .. both runs on video ..
*thats a seatbelt light , i didnt have a rollbar and i wasnt wearing my seatbelt too :/

If you are not wearing a seatbelt, would you brag about it? I was driving 205 with one hand LOL....?????

Just a thought. I know I have been judged unfairly a few times here and some were just my misunderstanding, but I think this guy deserves the harsh comments, just for the presentation of the event (and they were damn funny).

On that note I picture this guy wearing a gold chain with an unbuttoned shirt with white shoes and a white belt....like that guy in the travel commercial sitting on the plane next to a co-worker and says, "how much do you make? because I can tell you right now, it's not as much as me!"

the speed on the thingy...come on.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:01 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Why is it that the "track junkies" (DE participants, PCA club racers) typically don't speed excessively on public roads?

Also: why is it that the morons that do speed excessively on public roads NEVER participate in high performance driver's education where fast speeds are more readily attainable?

Those two statements are what separates the men from the boys when it comes to playing with big toys.

IMHO,
-Zoltan.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:45 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Well, I love DE events, but wanted to get up to a speed that I could not otherwise get up to on a track.....no straight long enough. And it was a one time thing. I did it, I'm happy and that's it.

I was going to debate "speeding" with you, but that has already been done: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...s&pagenumber=5

I think it was said best by someone, "coming on Rennlist and telling people not to speed, is like going on the NRA site and telling people guns are bad".

I understand you think anything over 70 is for the track and I disagree. There are risks going faster than that, but.....nevermind, it's all been said in that thread above.

Either way I think the 205+ guy with no hands, no seatbelt has done a little to much X and has lost too many brain cells.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:46 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by forklift
I understand you think anything over 70 is for the track and I disagree. There are risks going faster than that, but.....nevermind, it's all been said in that thread above.
No, I do not think anything over 70 is just for the track. However, I do have a problem with excessive speeds on public roads.

But like you said, it's all been discussed before.

Therefore, at this point, let's just agree to disagree.

Peace,
-Z-man.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:27 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Why is it that 944 owners are posting with so much vigor about this msytery man.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:41 AM
johne
Burning Brakes

I know, isn't it strange that all the "young punks" that don't drive "real" Porsches are some of the most mature people on this board. Kids today make me sick. Someone really needs to set them straight.

John
Old 01-16-2004, 09:42 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

I don't think making an observation of 944 owners coming to this guys defense said anything about a 944 not being a "real" Porsche. I don't think age is mentioned in any of the posts either.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

No, I wasn' trying to knock 944s. It just seemed funny that all of a sudden their was a slew of strongly opinionated responses from invididuals that I have not seen around this board before that all have 944s (some for, some against). Was there a spirited debate on the 944 board that linked over. Maybe I should check out the 944 board. It must be an entertaining thread.

Quick Reply: I drove 205MPH ! *Video*