Sponsored by:

creaking groaning sound in rear when backing out driveway

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 02:34 AM
coloradocayenne4
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default creaking groaning sound in rear when backing out driveway

I have a groaning creaking noise when backing out of an uneven driveway or pulling in. it has been in the shop twice now and they still can't isolate the issue, the car has 86k miles on it, I just put all new ohlins coil overs and new lower control arms and way bars and swaybar end links and tie rods on the car , ( it was making the noise before this , and I was quite surprised that it still made the noise after all this, as I was quite certain it was something in the suspension, could it be subframe bushings? My car has been in the shop for two weeks now , and I really want this resolved, can anyone help me think about what is causing it, its just very irritating when driving around town in the car, it is only noticeable when dring slow over off caber/ uneven driveways t or pull ins either backing up or going forward, it only happens when the car essentially is twisting .

any help!!!! please.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:47 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Wow. Punctuation?

Has the shop been working on this issue for two weeks? What are they telling you?
Old 05-31-2018, 02:59 AM
coloradocayenne4
Rennlist Member

they are trying to get a pair of chassis ears to listen while they drive it.

it was in for a week two weeks ago when they put the suspension on and they could not find it, , and now again for a week after and they still can't isolate the noise yet.

I had hoed the suspension replacement would eliminate the noise , but it did not.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:09 AM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definitely hard to isolate, but you should tighten everything around the strut towers.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:43 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

my Mcgyver solution would be to either use a gopro or cell phone; mount [or tape] the camera to each corner under your car to find which is louder as you drive in/out of your driveway. Then, once you isolate the corner (or front / rear) narrow down even further by again mounting or taping camera to different places.

Since you're mentioning only low speeds, this should be very easy and able to do without a lift.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:30 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by coloradocayenne4
I have a groaning creaking noise when backing out of an uneven driveway or pulling in. it has been in the shop twice now and they still can't isolate the issue, the car has 86k miles on it, I just put all new ohlins coil overs and new lower control arms and way bars and swaybar end links and tie rods on the car , ( it was making the noise before this , and I was quite surprised that it still made the noise after all this, as I was quite certain it was something in the suspension, could it be subframe bushings? My car has been in the shop for two weeks now , and I really want this resolved, can anyone help me think about what is causing it, its just very irritating when driving around town in the car, it is only noticeable when dring slow over off caber/ uneven driveways t or pull ins either backing up or going forward, it only happens when the car essentially is twisting .

any help!!!! please.
I have not heard (no pun intended) of this problem with the 996 models, but it is common with the 993 wide bodies and even some 993 narrow body cars. The source is the rear windshield. The permanent solution is to remove the windshield and replace the old seal. A lesser invasive solution used by some is to lift the external framing and spray some product underneath or add some type of sealant underneath. If you go to the 993 forum and search for windshield creaking, especially rear windshield creak, you should find several threads with solutions offered. Typically go with the non-invasive solution. The complete replacement is typically done at the same time you're going in to fix any rust that sometimes appears at the lower corners.

If it's not your suspension, that's all I can think of. It typically occurs at driveways, at slow speed, as the frame twists when the driveway meets the street.

Good luck. edit: here's one of the threads I recall. Actually the last paragraph of the post talks about a spray product for removing the creaks and squeaks. There are other threads on the subject if you want to do a search.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ar-window.html
Old 05-31-2018, 09:48 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Check sway bar mounts and drop links to see if any are loose. Then lubricate sway bar bushings with a dry lube like graphite.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:16 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same/similar issue in the past.

Installed a rear strut bar brace and the problem went away.

I did not want to remove and re-install the rear window and seal with lubricant as stated above and still have the noise come back.

Last edited by 996TWINS; 06-01-2018 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:04 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,935 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Check sway bar mounts and drop links to see if any are loose. Then lubricate sway bar bushings with a dry lube like graphite.
+1
Old 06-02-2018, 08:11 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

if the noise wasnt there before any work then its the work that was done. go back to the work and see if theres any new wear marks. lube and tighten all bolts and bushings
Old 06-04-2018, 08:25 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
if the noise wasnt there before any work then its the work that was done. go back to the work and see if theres any new wear marks. lube and tighten all bolts and bushings
??
He specifically mentioned it was there before..
Old 06-05-2018, 03:42 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

agree with carlo. check sway bar bushings with some silicone spray. if it stops and then returns later..? cheapest fix ever
Old 06-05-2018, 09:25 AM
coloradocayenne4
Rennlist Member

the sway bar bushings and sway bars are brand new , and I had this noise before replacing them so thats not it.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:28 AM
coloradocayenne4
Rennlist Member

my noise is more of a pro and groan than a creaking noise, and its defiantly coming form under the car
Old 06-05-2018, 09:28 AM
coloradocayenne4
Rennlist Member

could it be the drive shaft or the transmission mount bushing?

Quick Reply: creaking groaning sound in rear when backing out driveway