Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally found some time, and some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 08:15 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,887 Likes on 2,959 Posts
Default Finally found some time, and some questions...

So, I finally found some time to get the new wheels on and try and locate a problem with the brake sensor warning that keeps coming on - but it is in fact raised a few more questions...

1) After inspecting the entire brake system and reservoir, I have about 40% front, 60% rear pads, very clean (just flushed DOT 4) brake fluid and absolutely no visible problems with the wiring or harnesses. So, I checked all the connections, cleaned everything up, put the wheels back on and went for a drive...

No problems until I went to the pet store for some treats (for my Cat, not me...) got back into the car and as I started it, the brake sensor warning came on before I moved. Being somewhat of a perfectionist, and considering the fact the car wasn't moving, I coldn't figure it out. So, i re cycled the key, and voila, warning gone, made it home no problem. I changed the ignition switch a couple of months ago and the brake sensor warning came on before and after the ignition was swapped out, so I am confident it is not connected to that work. So I am perplexed, and would appreciate any thoughts n what I may be missing - I have new harnesses and pads, but I would rather not change them out as there is some much life left in the originals.

2) There is this squeak coming from the right rear suspension. It too is irritating. As I had all the wheels off, I took the time to look at the links, bushings, bearing etc., and couldn't find anything worn, loose or broken. I considered zapping everything with WD, but thought it would be prudent to see what other users were using in case WD (or equivalent) eats rubber.

3) I mentioned this on another post, but the drivers side wing ram actuator is not coming up as high as the passenger side. I have heard folks talking of bleeding the system, but I am not quite sure where to start - no codes here whatsoever.

4) I then went out on the highway and absolutely embarrassed some kid in his parents AMG CLS; sure made up for the frustration with the above noted issues.

Cheers,
Old 05-19-2018, 08:23 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
4) I then went out on the highway and absolutely embarrassed some kid in his parents AMG CLS; sure made up for the frustration with the above noted issues.
I'm glad no one got hurt.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:43 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

2) There is this squeak coming from the right rear suspension. It too is irritating. As I had all the wheels off, I took the time to look at the links, bushings, bearing etc., and couldn't find anything worn, loose or broken. I considered zapping everything with WD, but thought it would be prudent to see what other users were using in case WD (or equivalent) eats rubber.
the first thing i would do would be spray a bit of silicone on the sway bar bushings. if they are worn the silicone will temporarily stop the squeak. if it comes back in a day or two. just r&r the bushings. they are about the least expensive part on the car and squeak like crazy when worn. GL.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:54 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
I'm glad no one got hurt.
I'm in Vancouver - sometimes that seems rather hit and miss here...
Old 05-19-2018, 08:55 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
the first thing i would do would be spray a bit of silicone on the sway bar bushings. if they are worn the silicone will temporarily stop the squeak. if it comes back in a day or two. just r&r the bushings. they are about the least expensive part on the car and squeak like crazy when worn. GL.
Very good suggestion, I will apply that tomorrow.

Cheers,
Old 05-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

I'm in Vancouver - sometimes that seems rather hit and miss here...
It only takes one.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:40 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're popping the ABS/PSM failure you should drive to your mechanic the next time it occurs. I have the same problem and was able to "catch" the code as a 4200 Speed Sensor wire, front right. This could be a wearing wiring harness, the speed sensor or the ABS module. My mechanic recommended swapping the speed sensors. However, the cost of labor was more than the cost of a replacement so I'm installing a new one. I'm not tracking the car anytime soon so it's not a huge issue.

I also have a brake sensor issue where if I back out of my driveway I get an ABS response at slow speed. I get the same response when crawling in traffic in first gear. I hope it's the brake sensor and not the ABS module. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:48 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PaleAle
If you're popping the ABS/PSM failure you should drive to your mechanic the next time it occurs. I have the same problem and was able to "catch" the code as a 4200 Speed Sensor wire, front right. This could be a wearing wiring harness, the speed sensor or the ABS module. My mechanic recommended swapping the speed sensors. However, the cost of labor was more than the cost of a replacement so I'm installing a new one. I'm not tracking the car anytime soon so it's not a huge issue.

I also have a brake sensor issue where if I back out of my driveway I get an ABS response at slow speed. I get the same response when crawling in traffic in first gear. I hope it's the brake sensor and not the ABS module. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Mine comes on at seemingly irregular times - for example, nothing yesterday until I started the car at a friends house, then on comes the warning - prior to the car even moving. As I said I surveyed the entire assembly on the axles and could not see any cracking or wear on the sensor cables, nor on the connectors. Very odd indeed.

Quick Reply: Finally found some time, and some questions...