Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for pinning

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 12:58 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

sorry must have confused it with another thread that jb welded the bbi fittings.
now I am more confused.
curious of Kevin's replacement fittings.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:31 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

That thread shows a picture of six fittings, and the oil cooler looks like it stayed on the motor. Did the two oil cooler fittings get welded also, bringing the total addressed to 8?
Old 06-21-2018, 01:33 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 289 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by T Kono
That thread shows a picture of six fittings, and the oil cooler looks like it stayed on the motor. Did the two oil cooler fittings get welded also, bringing the total addressed to 8?
3 on the left and 3 on the right and then 1 on each side of the oil cooler.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:36 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes, I saw that you did them, I was referring to the BBI thread mentioned by Bugeyemilo.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:18 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 733 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
sorry must have confused it with another thread that jb welded the bbi fittings.
now I am more confused.
curious of Kevin's replacement fittings.
What's confusing. If you do this you can:

1. Remove stock fittings, knurl, JB weld and done.
2. Buy fittings (thicker walled for welding, though you can use OE) from ebay from Torque Solutions for $ 150 and have them welded (IMO the best way).
-or-

Some just drill and tap what's there which is the pinning method, essentially locking the fitting into place with the water manifold as the "pin" is a small allen bolt going through the housing and fitting making it locked together mechanically.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:58 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I know we could go in circles on this topic forever, but I still don't understand how welding is any better than pinning.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:40 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
I know we could go in circles on this topic forever, but I still don't understand how welding is any better than pinning.
My understanding is that pinning could still leak if the sealant is compromised, but welding may be a better solution if the weld is done correctly and pressure tested prior to installation to ensure there are no pin holes and so on. I would go with the welding solution only if I replaced all 8 fittings with thicker material, and used a welder who has done this many times.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:07 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
For sure, if cleaned, knurled and JB welded, I wouldn't see the need to pin em. They aren't going anywhere, the knurling really is there to give the epoxy some bite.
I decided to NOT bother with knurling, even though the guys in the video are only 10 miles from me, maybe if both components were knurled, there would be significant benefit, not so much for only one "side"
I removed / JB welded / SS fastener.
Should be good to go.

One of these in the right diameter makes cleaning the old epoxy out much mo easy..

Old 06-21-2018, 05:10 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

It isn't IMO.
Welding add more complexity with little benefit.

Pinning without removing / cleaning / "re-epoxing" the fittings in place is false economy.
Pinning after removing / cleaning / "re-epoxing" the fittings in place is the shizzle!
Old 06-21-2018, 05:16 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

i have done it both ways. the pros to pinning is it can be done with the parts still on the motor and even with the motor in the car. the jb weld will likely outlast the owners possesion of the car and if it does fail it can be cleaned off resealed and repinned. jb seals it the bolt keeps the fitting from pushing out.

welding requires the parts be removed the fittings removed cleaned and reinstalled then either mig or tig welded. then pressure tested to ensure no pinholes are present. pros to this is its a permanent fix. the fitting will never come out and once tested wont ever leak. the con is its costly . engine has to come pout parts removed new gaskets and reinstallation then motor back in. i used my oem fittings and a pro welder who did a a1 job in the end 2 minor pinholes under testing fixed them never had an issue. present motor has jbweld in 1 fitting and 8 pins. zero issues with this motor.

either way works well if thought out and handled properly.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:55 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 289 Likes on 198 Posts

I can't see how you could remove the fittings without pulling the whole cooling system apart. Heating the fittings will not be good for the other seals and you would not be able to pull the fittings out with damaging them.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:21 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I can't see how you could remove the fittings without pulling the whole cooling system apart. Heating the fittings will not be good for the other seals and you would not be able to pull the fittings out with damaging them.
thats why i only sealed the blown fitting. didnt want to risk that. so far no issues

Quick Reply: Time for pinning