Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Re Safety: HANS Device And Recaro HANS Seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 09:14 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my HANS device yesterday. I can rotate my head about 60 degrees to the left or right before the tethers restrain movement. One issue you'll need to address is the distance between your shoulder belts. The belts must be 5 or fewer inches apart in order to remain in place over the top of the HANS device. This is no problem in my Formula Mazda installation, but it may be a significant issue for sedan racers.
There are spring loaded clips that are mounted on your helmet to secure the tethers. They are really pretty easy to attach and detach. Don't think the quick releases tethers are really that needed. The installation of the helmet attachment points on one helmet is included in the price of the device. Can't see any major advantage to a DIY on the mounts.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:34 AM
racer63
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: quick release tethers

Originally posted by prg
They make a quick release system for the tethers for a modest additional charge. The primary purpose of the quick release is for drivers who need to be able to move their neck to crawl out of the window of their car (not for neck range of motion in the pits.)
I've got the quick releases. I think it could help in getting out of the car. Although with my sedan, I'd just leave the thing on and climb out if there was some urgency.

I would not want to try to attach the quick releases while on track though... It is much trickier to engage them than it is to release them. In fact, you have to be kind of careful. Sometimes you think they are fully locked when they are not. Best to give them a tug each time to make sure they really are attached.

Quick Reply: In Re Safety: HANS Device And Recaro HANS Seat