Sponsored by:

In Re Safety: HANS Device And Recaro HANS Seat

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 04:49 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Greg:

Please keep me informed as I plan to do it this spring.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:10 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

I'm still not convinced that the HANS is really necessary (or maybe even useful) in a sedan. The situation is completely different in a much stiffer formula car lacking crumple zones of course.

Stephen
Old 12-31-2003, 06:21 PM
racer63
Racer

Originally posted by FixedWing
I'm still not convinced that the HANS is really necessary (or maybe even useful) in a sedan. The situation is completely different in a much stiffer formula car lacking crumple zones of course.

Stephen
Me neither. But I don't want to be the one to prove that theory wrong.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:22 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If I can find it I will post the video of the news conference in which NASCAR proclaims the HANS is the best head and neck restraint system. They show a sled with a dummy strapped in with 5 or 6 point harnesses and in a 50g collision (35 miles an hour ) at a 30 degree angle and how much belt movement and head movement their is. If this video won't convince you then not much will. They also state that a Indy car driver basically walked away from a 139g+ at 89 miles per hour collision without so much as a sore neck.
Crush zone means squat when it comes to neck restraint. Also the HANS helps keep your helmet on your head in an accident. Without it they showed how it doesn't stay in place and rotates on your head.

I will try to find the link to this video. I have the video on my harddrive but it is way to big to email.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Has any used a Schuberth helmet?
Old 01-01-2004, 12:18 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being a structural engineer, I am intrigued at this device. I completely understand the one side of the equation but would like an answer to the other side.

The tethers hold the helmet to the Hans Device. Plain and simple, this attachment resists the heads's desire to move farther and faster than the restrained torso. It makes perfect sense.

My question pertains to the anchorage of the Hans Device in the car. As you all probably know, with every action there is an equal and opposite reaction (Excuse the layman's terms guys). In an accident, the G's developed by the decelerating skull equate to a need for anchorage to resist these forces. So, how is the Hans Device anchored??
Old 01-01-2004, 03:51 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Ken, I think the HANS basically transfers the forward load from the neck to the chest. If you look at the pictures, they are not normally attached to the car or seat, just the chest harness portion. The g forces are reduced because the restricted range of motion means a less sudden deceleration (your head begins the decel faster after a collision).
Old 01-01-2004, 08:44 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim,
Sort of right. Doug's response finishes off the equation.
Doug,
That is what I thought. The Hans unit goes between your shoulders and the harness. The restraint of the head from forward motion creates a moment about the base of the Hans unit. This moment is resisted through a force couple. The front part of the shoulder brace presses down on the chest whereas the uplift at the back of the shoulder brace is resisted by the intimate contact of the tensioned shoulder belts.
Voila!!
Great idea!!

Can I presume you can turn your head from side to side by the tethers' ability to slide in a slot?

Keep in mind, I did look at their website and read and studied their writeup and photos.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:54 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Yep Ken, I was a little sloppy but that's the idea. Thanks Doug. Yes, your side vision is restricted (pits and things, not while driving).
Old 01-02-2004, 03:59 PM
ypshan
Instructor

Couldn't you unhook the two straps when you are in the pit to gain complete movement of your head and thus solve the side vision problem?
Old 01-03-2004, 09:47 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Boy ypshan, I really do not recommend doing that. I never like to partially defeat safety equipment. It's too easy to forget what you have done, unitl ... of course, it's too late.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:00 PM
racer63
Racer

Tim/Ypshan,

You could wait to put the HANS on until you're in the hot pits getting strapped in. But, I wouldn't dare try to put it on after you leave the hot pits. It's very tricky to get the tethers in correctly and you don't want to be driving the car while you are trying to fasten the connectors.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:25 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Bob:

Sorry for the slow reply. You actually asked a question I can answer and I missed it. The Schuberth helmets are great but they are not Snell or SFI certified so they can't be used at most racing/track day events.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:15 PM
prg
Pro

Default quick release tethers

Originally posted by ypshan
Couldn't you unhook the two straps when you are in the pit to gain complete movement of your head and thus solve the side vision problem?
They make a quick release system for the tethers for a modest additional charge. The primary purpose of the quick release is for drivers who need to be able to move their neck to crawl out of the window of their car (not for neck range of motion in the pits.)

I sent my helmet off 2 weeks ago for mounting. I let you know about mobility when I get it. I bought a formula mazda last month. Couldn't stop smiling for about 24 hours after a test day. Can't wait to go racing this spring!

If anyone is interested in an open wheel club racing car, now is a good time to pick up a formula mazda. The pro series is going to a new car next season, so the pro cars from last season are all on the market. 25k -30k will get you a durable 180hp 1150lb car that turns the same lap times as a 996 cup car on our local 1.8 mile fairly low speed technical circuit.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I will be purchasing one soon as well.. Have you guys checked out other brands?

http://www.hutchensdevice.com/

http://www.teamsimpson.com/catalog/restraints/50000.asp

http://www.isaacdirect.com/index.html

Quick Reply: In Re Safety: HANS Device And Recaro HANS Seat