Sponsored by:

JIC "cross" coilovers??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 03:08 PM
Curves4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JIC "cross" coilovers??

Anyone heard anything or have had personal experience with these coilovers made for Porsche?? They come with more features (adjustibility, camber plates) than Pss-9's and are a few $$'s less.
Do i really need camber plates?

By Design uses this setup for thier Porsche Turbo Cab that was used in the European car shootout.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:24 PM
Hamann7
User

This setup seems to perform pretty well.

I still think Moton or JRZ is the best though.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:01 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

The Cross seems to be pretty up there with the PSS9s. But yes, for the real deal JRZ and Moton's kick way more booty.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.jic-magic.com/productscross.htm

The design ideas look like an advance over PSS9's (mounts, anti-roll bar attachment)

The description from the USA distributor talking about revalving the things means I'd want to buy from the factory...

And 15 way? How do you get to 15? Unless you count "up" as one way and "down" as another.

At around $3000, they're not necessarily cheaper than PSS9's.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:19 AM
Apx2Apx
Track Day

After much debate I have considered ordering the Cross/JIC setup for my 02' Targa.
1) I like the included Pillow ball mounts, which allows more camber choices. For different tracks and tires.

2) The fact that the setup can be tailored to my driving needs for different types of driving... Ie. road race, drag, autocross...is a Plus..

3) The decision was made from past positive experiences using the Cross/JIC set up on three of my race cars. On one of my ITA 03'Honda Civic SI, I am running the full race setup with revalving and spring rates. I simply like the way they are consistent throughout the race day...

As my Cross experience is limited to only Honda's and Nissan's, I hope to hear more on this setup on our Pcars.. I plan on ordering my set within the next couple of days... If anyone is using them in their Porsche please chime in.

I think I was quoted around $2350 for the full FLAT2 coilover setup.. wonder if they would consider a GB... Perhaps we can save a penny or two...

Old 12-21-2003, 06:34 AM
Winston
Track Day

I've got the setup on my 968 for 2 years and on my 996TT for over 3 months now. In my opinion, it is a very good system especially if your track minded. It comes with a 15-way adjustable damper, monoball upper mounts, and front camber plates. I would say this is for those who want something more serious than the Bilstein PSS9's but want something more durable/streetable than the JRZ or Moton's. I think the biggest advantage this system has over all the others is the way the ride height is adjusted. It is adjusted by the lower collar and not by moving the spring up/down. This way the spring rate is constant and you get the full travel of the damper whether you have your car setup real high or real low. I recently took the car to Arizona Motorsports Park 2 weeks ago to some NASA event, and I was pretty impressed by how well this setup is for the track without too much harshness for street use. I was actually comfortable driving this car to Arizona and back to California. Incidentally the guy that designed the Porsche systems is the guy importing all the JIC products here to the US. He is a major Porsche enthusiast and has raced the Porsche cup races in Japan and Canada. So support for the Porsche line is definitely available locally. I would recommend anyone looking for a suspension setup to look real carefully at all the different setups out there and if possible compare side by side (or drive) in order to really figure out what you want.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:12 AM
Hamann7
User

After seeing how the Cross performed on the track on a 996TT cab, I highly recommend this suspension. It is a truly great value.

Call Allan or Sam at ByDesign, they can get you a really good price on the parts.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:08 AM
Curves4S
Advanced

Mike Mansouri @ By Design was the one that schooled me to this new setup. I will be getting a test drive in the Turbo Cab with the JIC coilovers from Sam. Pricewise, they come out to a little less than Pss-9's.

Just found out my brother is getting a sponsorship for his car from JIC, effective Jan. I'm going to talk to one of their reps to see if i can get a deal/sponsorship.

Thanks to everyone for their help and input. I will let you know what i decide.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:54 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

fwiw, i drove in the by design car and despite its nearly 2" lower stance, it seemed smoother than my system stock. My concern, how well will my tires wear on this system. I am not looking to squeeze out every last bit of rubber from my tire, I basically want something that will track well and give me a good ride on the road (where I mainly drive) and have a bit more aggressive stance.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:02 PM
Curves4S
Advanced

Tire wear will decrease to 3000miles if driven very aggressively and 5000 if driven conservatively.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:25 PM
AWD
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I swapped my H&R coilovers for the JIC/Cross set, and what a difference!!
I immediately noticed a much smoother ride, I am excited to have alot more adjustability! Another important feature:
When adjusting the height on the JIC, instead of winding up the perch (like all the other companies out there) which holds the spring (and alters the spring rate ), the shock bodies of the JIC set have a separate sleeve on the lower portion of the shock which you can lower or heighten, thus will raise or lower your car, without affecting the stiffness of the spring! That was a big plus!
Big Thanks to By Design for getting them on my car in short notice!

I still have yet to track my car with the new setup, but I will post as soon as I do!
Old 12-22-2003, 11:08 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

AWD,

Adjusting the spring perch on a shock does not alter the spring rate. If you have an 8" 500 in / lb spring and put it on the rear of your car with 1000 lbs of weight on that corner, it will compress 2 inchs or down to a 6 inch at rest height. Now move the spring perch up on the strut and inch so that 8" spring is compressed already to 7"s and apply 1000 lbs, and it will compress now 1 inch down to 6 inches at rest. Just because you started with an inch already compressed has no bearing the properties of the spring.

Does that make sense?

Last edited by viperbob; 12-23-2003 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:17 AM
speedplay
4th Gear

Should I have not ordered the PSS9? I saw that most people were using those including TechArt as their suspension choice. The suspension has easy adjustability and is a household name. I found a great deal in the classifieds/public for brand new PSS9 from rennsport.com for $2250 and they were US version. I should be getting them tomorrow and shipping was $35. contact sam@rennsport.com, he was very nice and helpful and said they have plenty in stock.

Quick Reply: JIC "cross" coilovers??