Sponsored by:

does anyone have any info on Unobtainium Titanium exhaust systems

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 01:25 PM
06Turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I have one on my car and 2 more titanium ones on order right now... Ping me if you want. I'm in your neck of the woods...
John, are you still playing around trying to find the right system or flow? I know that you have had 2 or so of Chris (Unobtainium) systems before. In fact I periodically check on your 1 classified ad to see if it has sold. I also contemplate the purchase of said ad but really want the single slash tips. In any case, what are your reasonings for ordering 2 more systems?

Originally Posted by Flewis763
.........the systems I make are almost identical to his but I mig weld them to keep costs down and provide a budget option for my local customers. Anti drone pipes work perfectly and provide zero drone at cruising speeds............
Flewis, do you have any pictures/videos/sound clips of your exhaust units?
Old 12-16-2017, 04:28 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,637 Posts

John why do you need two exhaust systems?
Old 12-16-2017, 06:50 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
because he can!!
Old 12-16-2017, 07:42 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Turbo
John, are you still playing around trying to find the right system or flow? I know that you have had 2 or so of Chris (Unobtainium) systems before. In fact I periodically check on your 1 classified ad to see if it has sold. I also contemplate the purchase of said ad but really want the single slash tips. In any case, what are your reasonings for ordering 2 more systems?

I'm always trying to improve on existing products. We realized that with the Helmholz resonators, any type of muffler is not necessary. You simply need 3" piping as the exhaust is incredibly pleasant, easier on the ears than any other exhaust I've had. The newest version of the exhaust is simply an improvement on the old, larger even freer flowing cats, and an exhaust that will be over 10-15lbs lighter than the stainless version. Being able to nail down the exact length and diameter of the Helmholz resonators also very important for optimum performance.

With regards to slant cut tips, in my opinion, they are probably not optimal from an acoustic standpoint as the tips also play an integral role in the drone of the exhaust. I have discussed this with various exhaust manufacturers and the general conclusion was that slant cut tips will likely induce a certain amount of drone (especially the larger 4" versions). I believe the reason is the simple fact that the slant cut tip essentially has the shape of a bull horn which by design amplifies sound. Again, don't take this as gospel, just my $0.02, for what it's worth. I have had very good luck with the quad 3" tips and they fit the bumper cut out very well.

Last edited by powdrhound; 12-17-2017 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:55 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I don't need two but I always like to have spares on hand, especially when it comes to parts that are not off the shelf and which oftentimes take 6 month or more of lead time to produce. I track my car heavily and keep spares on hand for just about everything. With, that said, once I get my two Ti exhausts in my hands, my SS version will be up for grabs...

Last edited by powdrhound; 12-17-2017 at 04:06 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:58 PM
06Turbo
Instructor

Knowing that Chris has an inconl version that he can fab up, is it not worth the money to go that route, even though it would be even lighter then Ti? Is there a reason you have not tried an inconl version yet?
I appreciate your first hand knowledge about the slash cut tips and possible increase in drone.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:18 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 06Turbo
Knowing that Chris has an inconl version that he can fab up, is it not worth the money to go that route, even though it would be even lighter then Ti? Is there a reason you have not tried an inconl version yet?
I appreciate your first hand knowledge about the slash cut tips and possible increase in drone.
Chris built an inconel version of the exhaust for me back in the spring of 2016 but the cats were accidentally mixed up and the exhaust was built with regular HJS street HD 200CPI cats instead of the Emitec PE Motorsport catalysts that I specified. When I received the exhaust and discovered the mix up, I sent it back to Chris to get it corrected. This was over a year ago as the large Motorsport cats have been on back order since but it appears they will finally be arriving at the end of this month. After a detailed discussion, Chris decided that it would be easier for him to build a Ti system since he can now get mandrel bent 3" Ti piping instead of having to do pie cuts. Based on what Chris had told me, Ti is much easier to weld that Inconel and is also much more stable during welding. In other words, it "moves" less during welding. At lest that's the way I understand it. For durability reason, Chris is using SS for the catalyst cones and the bypass pipes while the rest of the exhaust will be Ti.

I am not sure what happened to the Inconel exhaust that was returned to him but you might wanna check with Chris to see if he still has it or if he has sold it.

Last edited by powdrhound; 12-17-2017 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:43 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing about titanium, how will it hold up? I've heard that even "stock Ti", on factory cars (there are a few of them) have had exhaust cracks?
Old 12-17-2017, 07:37 PM
coloradocayenne4
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what is the price i US $ for one of these , and would you go with one with no cats for a street car that is occasionally tracked ?
Old 12-17-2017, 09:34 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by coloradocayenne4
what is the price i US $ for one of these , and would you go with one with no cats for a street car that is occasionally tracked ?
About the cheapest u/w exhaust is s/s no cats no mufflers slash tips and 3500$
Old 12-18-2017, 09:50 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by coloradocayenne4
prices are posted on their website.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:05 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Berra
One thing about titanium, how will it hold up? I've heard that even "stock Ti", on factory cars (there are a few of them) have had exhaust cracks?
You may be right, the more expensive stuff is not always more durable.
My carbon fiber bars and stems for road bikes came with disclaimers to cease use after a year of racing or 2 years regular use.
Actually had some Easton bars snap like a stale bread stick one time and realized at that time I really like cheap aluminum.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:35 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What is the webb site
Old 12-27-2017, 08:10 PM
06Turbo
Instructor

https://www.unobtainium.ca
Old 12-28-2017, 09:39 AM
jason952