does anyone have any info on Unobtainium Titanium exhaust systems

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 02:43 AM
coloradocayenne4
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default does anyone have any info on Unobtainium Titanium exhaust systems

I am looking at one

Cant find any reviews on them, I am looking at the one with anti drne and the 200 cel cats in titanium
Old 12-13-2017, 04:44 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 991 Posts

I have one on my car and 2 more titanium ones on order right now... Ping me if you want. I'm in your neck of the woods...
Old 12-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Flewis763
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, unobtanium makes the nicest exhaust systems on the planet. I have never seen more beautiful and consistent work by any welder ever. You pay for it though and is sad that on our cars you don't even get to see it.
the systems I make are almost identical to his but I mig weld them to keep costs down and provide a budget option for my local customers. Anti drone pipes work perfectly and provide zero drone at cruising speeds.

overall though I'd highly recommend unobtanium if you have the money for one for your car........or for art on your wall.

Last edited by Flewis763; 12-13-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:36 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 500 Posts

They look great, great craftsmanship, but there are so many other options making the same power costing MUCH MUCH less. Go elsewhere.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:22 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s65e90
They look great, great craftsmanship, but there are so many other options making the same power costing MUCH MUCH less. Go elsewhere.
Some people are willing to pay for great craftsmanship. Nothing wrong with that... I actually think the price is very competitive considering what you get. If you just want a couple of 3" pipes, you have many other cheap exhaust options indeed...
Old 12-13-2017, 05:22 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

the quality of the u/e is equal or better than robotic welding. and he has an artstic that many welders dont posses
Old 12-14-2017, 07:25 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unobtainum Welding exhausts are fantastic. I was the first to use their anti-drone pipes and the difference between the anti-drone pipes and without is night and day. They completely eliminate the drone. The exhaust is well worth the money simply from that aspect IMO. But as others mentioned, the welds, design, and the attention to detail is simply amazing. While expensive, it's definitely worth the money. There's no "Porsche tax" involved with these systems; they cost a lot because they work as advertised and are works of art.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:14 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Unobtainium is art. I'd be grabbing one of pwdrhound's if I wasn't happy with my EBWerks setup.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:32 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by coloradocayenne4
I am looking at one

Cant find any reviews on them, I am looking at the one with anti drne and the 200 cel cats in titanium
Its the first link on the googles...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...st-review.html
Old 12-15-2017, 09:31 AM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no comparison to them. When I get mine up and running I’ll be using their full system.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:08 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

The anti-drone resonator pipes are such a good idea.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:16 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Unobtainum Welding exhausts are fantastic. I was the first to use their anti-drone pipes and the difference between the anti-drone pipes and without is night and day. They completely eliminate the drone. The exhaust is well worth the money simply from that aspect IMO. But as others mentioned, the welds, design, and the attention to detail is simply amazing. While expensive, it's definitely worth the money. There's no "Porsche tax" involved with these systems; they cost a lot because they work as advertised and are works of art.

Yes that's the P car tax. Raw materials are less than most other cars and the jigs have been out for these cars forever and the 1st customer usually allows for mock up at a steep discount. Yes, he makes beautiful stuff, but P car exhaust are no diff than anything else. Helmholtz resonators have been around forever, he is just applying it here, no magic. His packaging to it is nice though, very well designed and it's tough to stuff the helmholtz resonators up there. Like anything else, things are priced according to what people will pay. You drive a P car because you have $$$ plain and simple. Even know it's cheaper/older now, cost to maintain stays the same.

I always say it's like the pool store. Everything is expensive... because you have a pool and can afford it.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:33 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I think that's true for a lot of Porsche products and services, but those exhausts look like a LOT of expert man hours to me. Sure, he didn't invest resonators -- Apple didn't invent the touch screen. Good catalysts are expensive, too, no matter what car you put them on.

There are plenty of cheaper options out there for the folks who don't want to spend that much.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:04 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

+1... someone who makes a similar system out of 304SS and mig's it together for let's say BMW pricing would do veryyyy well.. personally don't care much how it looks (ie. rolls of dimes, polished, etc) as long as functional/strong
Unobtainium is exhaust/welding **** but paying for it... there's a 'new guy in town' who is starting on Porsche exhaust products, extremely nice work as well.. $$$ but may still get involved(sales)...

Originally Posted by s65e90
Yes that's the P car tax. Raw materials are less than most other cars and the jigs have been out for these cars forever and the 1st customer usually allows for mock up at a steep discount. Yes, he makes beautiful stuff, but P car exhaust are no diff than anything else. Helmholtz resonators have been around forever, he is just applying it here, no magic. His packaging to it is nice though, very well designed and it's tough to stuff the helmholtz resonators up there. Like anything else, things are priced according to what people will pay. You drive a P car because you have $$$ plain and simple. Even know it's cheaper/older now, cost to maintain stays the same.

I always say it's like the pool store. Everything is expensive... because you have a pool and can afford it.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:21 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

I spoke with Chris (unobtaininum) last night. He is currently planning on building three exhaust systems, two for myself and a third one for another rennlister here. By getting 3 exhausts done, economies of scale are getting the prices down to a more reasonable level. These are going to be the latest version of his exhaust system which will incorporate all of the improvements that I specified based on what we learned from the previous version of the UW exhaust I'm currently running. The Ti exhaust will consist of the following:

1. HJS Motorsport (Emitec) 100 CPI PE 145mm (5.7") catalysts. These catalysts provide 100% flow for 400hp each (800hp/pair). There is zero compromise here. NONE. These are the largest cats to ever be used on a 996TT/GT2 exhaust. V-band attachment will be used. Just FYI, I ran the smaller 130mm (5.2") version of these same catalysts (rated at 350hp each) and they showed zero loss of hp at 620whp compared to 3.5" bypass pipes. This was verified on a dynojet. Nuff said...

2. 3.5" Stainless steel catalysts exhaust bypass pipes for those with exclusive track use cars. These allow for some more weight savings and plenty of room to add additional Lambda sensors for guys like myself running Motec, etc. Instead of the traditional 3" bypass pipe, 3.5" are used to maximize airflow out of the turbo which has a 3.5" outlet and as such no pinchdown is needed. V-band attachment will be used.

3. Main body of the exhaust will consist of a 3" titanium pipe (mandrel bent, not pie cut) and include slip fit twin 3" titanium tips. The main body of the exhaust will also utilize a metal flex joint on each side just prior to the center exhaust "X". This is an often overlooked item on aftermarket exhausts but is very important as it allows for the thermal expansion of the exhaust system without putting undue stress on the turbochargers, headers, etc., thus preventing long term cracking. This is generally not a huge issue on street driven cars but important on track use cars which pump a lot more heat through the exhaust. Every OEM exhaust utilizes metal flex joints and it's really the proper way to do it. Only a few aftermarket exhausts like Europipe employ flex joints.

4. Titanium slip fit anti-drone helmholz resonators

I should have the exhaust by February as Chris is currently waiting to get another commitment or two for the 145mm Emitec catalysts to get the pricing down a bit more. Based on my experience running the current 3" UW exhaust, this new Ti version should be amazing.

Unobtainium Welding 3" SS exhaust flyby...

UW 3" Stainless steel exhaust with 130mm HJS 100CPI PE Motorsport catalysts and 3.5" bypass pipes

Last edited by powdrhound; 12-16-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: does anyone have any info on Unobtainium Titanium exhaust systems