Sponsored by:

2nd Gear Synchronizer

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 09:08 AM
jhall
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd Gear Synchronizer

I'm looking at the possible purchase of a 2002 turbo that has an issue with 2nd gear. It shifts up just fine but when down shifting it grinds going into 2nd gear. I'm assuming the 2nd gear synchronizer is toast. I still like the car and am considering purchasing it and having the transmission repaired. I did some searching looking for an idea of the cost and came up with a guess of around $5k. The information was a little dated and I was wondering if someone could give me a more recent opinion on the cost to repair.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 12-04-2017, 09:53 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

the cost is going to be based on what you find when opening the trans. could be a single syncro which cost approx 250$. then theres about 60$ worth of nuts that are 1 time use parts so they have to be replaced every time. the labor to remove the trans and reinstall it will be based on the shop. some will only drop the trans some will want to use the porsche manual time table which drops both engine and trans as a unit. then you have the chpice of replacing the clutch while the trans is out. gearsets if 2nd gear is damaged run 1000$ per set.

basically you need to open it to find out whats broke and then calculate the costs of the repair. i can recommend a couple of good shops in the area your in of you want.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

Where about sin south jersey?
Old 12-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It would not surprise me that this trans may exhibit 2nd gear pop out also since the 2nd gear synchro is toast.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

I had exactly the same issue. Worn synchros, big tranny repair ticket. More like 6k plus taxes if I recall correctly, I don't have the receipt handy.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:18 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

$5k is a perfectly reasonable estimate if the trans is taken to a competent indie with g50 g'box repair capabilities. do NOT let someone without specific g50 box experience do this job.
many however ( including DIY'rs ) are not up to the task of opening the gearbox and replacing the worn parts, while getting the box out and even back in is well with the purview of a competent DIY'r dropping the gearbox and getting to a trans repair shop is the most usual course of action. the repair consists of replacing both 1st and 2nd gear synchro's, and in your case could well involve a new 2nd gear ( if not the entire 1/2 setup ) while inside you'll of course want to have the bearings related as they are often the first and only reason a g50 box require opening up. at least on a primary driven "street" car.

it's roughy 6-8 hours to drop and re-install the gearbox once the work is completed, so factor that in if your rans repair does NOT include dropping/re-installing the box upon completion. if you manage to have all the work done all in, with any internal g'box work included for 5k$? consider yourself lucky or fairly treated, or both.

i had my local shop open the gearbox replace bearings and install a wavetrac for 4k$. all in. on my previous car with 2nd gear popout, the dealership quoted $8k to r&r 2nd gear popout. this was 9 years ago. it will not have become cheaper if you have to ( or opt to ) go with a factory dealership. so again, five grand is "ballpark" and considered more than fair to simply r&r the 1/2 synchro's etc.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:23 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

$5k is a perfectly reasonable estimate if the trans is taken to a competent indie with g50 g'box repair capabilities. do NOT let someone without specific g50 box experience do this job.
many DIY'rs are not up to the task of opening the gearbox and replacing the worn parts, while getting the box out and even back in is well with the purview of a competent DIY'r. so, dropping the gearbox and getting to a ( PORSCHE ) trans repair shop is the most usual course of action. the repair consists of replacing both 1st and 2nd gear synchro's, and in your case could well involve a new 2nd gear ( if not the entire 1/2 setup ) while inside you'll of course want to have the bearings replaced also as a "while you're there ) as they are often the first and only reason a g50 boxes require opening up. at least for a primarily driven "street" car.

it's roughy 6-8 hours to drop and re-install the gearbox once the work is completed, so factor that ($800/1200$?) in if your trans repair does NOT the 6/8 hrs of labor that include dropping/re-installing the box upon completion. if you manage to have all the work done all in, with any internal g'box work included for 5k$? consider yourself lucky or fairly treated, or both.

i had my local shop open the gearbox replace bearings and install a wavetrac for 4k$. all in. on my previous car with 2nd gear popout, the local dealership quoted $8k to r&r 2nd gear popout if i had to cover the costs but after a brief battle i was able to have them cover the trans work under the pre-existing factory warranty valid at the time.. this was 9 years ago. it will not have become cheaper by now, ( than $8K ) if you have to ( or opt to ) go with a factory dealership. so again, five grand is "ballpark" and considered more than fair to simply r&r the 1/2 synchro's etc.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:24 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

many DIY'rs are not up to the task of opening the gearbox and replacing the worn parts, while getting the box out and even back in is well within the purview of a competent DIY'r. so, dropping the gearbox and getting to a ( PORSCHE ) trans repair shop is the most usual course of action. the repair consists of replacing both 1st and 2nd gear synchro's, and in your case could well involve a new 2nd gear ( if not the entire 1/2 setup ) while inside you'll of course want to have the bearings replaced also as a ( "while you're there" ) as bearing failures are often the first and only reason a g50 boxes require opening up. at least for a primarily driven "street" car.

it's roughy 6-8 hours to drop and re-install the gearbox once the work is completed, so factor that ($1000/1400$?) in if your trans repair does NOT the 6/8 hrs of labor that include dropping/re-installing the box upon completion. if you manage to have all the work done all in, with any internal g'box work included for 5k$? consider yourself lucky or fairly treated, or both.

i had my local shop open the gearbox replace bearings and install a wavetrac for 4k$. all in. on my previous car with 2nd gear popout, the local dealership quoted $8k to r&r 2nd gear popout if i had to cover the costs but after a brief battle i was able to have them cover the trans work under the pre-existing factory warranty valid at the time.. this was 9 years ago. it will not have become cheaper by now, ( than $8K ) if you have to ( or opt to ) go with a factory dealership. so again, five grand is "ballpark" and considered more than fair to simply r&r the 1/2 synchro's etc.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As an after thought based on the prices quoted it might be cheaper to swap for a rebuilt unit by a reptable Porsche tech shop! The caveat is reputable!
These guys have been around awhile, might be a good alternative if the repair is quoted high!

http://www.gboxweb.com/rebuiltgearboxes.html
Old 12-04-2017, 11:34 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by jhall
I'm looking at the possible purchase of a 2002 turbo that has an issue with 2nd gear. ... came up with a guess of around $5k.
Equally important to find out if there is anyone local to you really competent with these gearboxes... My understanding is that you really want someone with lots of experience and who knows what they are doing working on these. Otherwise add in the additonal cost of shipping it half way across the country.

And while it's out, you'll probably want to do the GT2 clutch slave conversion and a new performance clutch, more $.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:29 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

if your looking at 5k to do a single syncro you could send the trans to rader transmission in vegas and get a full rebuild with all steel syncros and gt2 1-3 gears for about 7k. in the n/e call aim performance or callahan motor works in long island
Old 12-05-2017, 07:14 PM
jhall
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies, I offered the seller $6K below asking to take into account the Tranny issues. We'll see what happens.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:01 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by jhall
Thanks for the replies, I offered the seller $6K below asking to take into account the Tranny issues. We'll see what happens.
This is the reason you must maintain your car. This way when you spend $6K you get to enjoy the fresh gearbox before selling it.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:20 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

maintaining the car wont mitigate the reality of bearings failing with heat and age. necessitating the box being opened.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:51 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
As an after thought based on the prices quoted it might be cheaper to swap for a rebuilt unit by a reptable Porsche tech shop! The caveat is reputable!
These guys have been around awhile, might be a good alternative if the repair is quoted high!

http://www.gboxweb.com/rebuiltgearboxes.html
you might want to look into reputable. Evoms sacked those guys after multiple failures, one even happened on the test drive.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gear Synchronizer