Sponsored by:

Suspected bad wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 07:19 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts
Default Suspected bad wheel bearing

I just had the winter wheels installed on the car, and now the car runs like shyte. It feels similar to last year when I had a bad wheel bearing, which also happened while i had the winter setup on the car. Please excuse the probably stupid question, but can there be any relation between swapping wheels, or running winter tires, and wheel bearings going bad?
Old 11-24-2017, 08:22 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you describe more what “runs like shyte” is. What’s it doing? There shouldn’t be a relation with running the right size winter rims and tires and wheel bearing issue. Are the new wheels properly balanced? Are the tires in good shape? If it happened right after changing wheels, it’s likely the wheels.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:46 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

It makes an ugly rotational noise, mostly. Haven't checked the pressure but it would be egregious if the Porsche dealer had mounted the wheels without making the pressure right, but I guess you can never be sure. I'll check first thing tomorrow.

The wheels are the same I mounted last two winters. Solid turbo twists with dunlop snow tires. A hair taller in the back but less than 2% which by all accounts shouldn't be a problem. Anyhow I have a good feel for how the car should run if all were ok, that doesn't feel like it.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:02 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe have the wheels balance checked?
Old 11-24-2017, 09:02 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Could it be just tire noise? The all-season tires I run on mine make one hell of drone on certain road surfaces.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I just had the winter wheels installed on the car, and now the car runs like shyte. It feels similar to last year when I had a bad wheel bearing, which also happened while i had the winter setup on the car. Please excuse the probably stupid question, but can there be any relation between swapping wheels, or running winter tires, and wheel bearings going bad?
No relationship between swapping wheels/tires or running winter tires and bad wheel bearings.

Couple of things that can account for the noise.

1) Carlos_Carrera does bring up the issue of tire noise with all season tires. Winter tires might be noisy like all season tires. While i have no winter tire experience with my Porsche cars I have plenty of summer tire expeirence and know with summer tires tire noise gets pretty bad as the tires wear. It would not surprise me in the least that this was also the case with winter tires. If the Dunlop tires are worn down they can just be noisy.

2) Double check the air pressures. Tire pressures may have been set to the tire pressures for a fullly loaded car. If the tires are inflated to a pressure much different from what the were inflated to when they were used the tire's shape can be a bit different and this can account for noise and even how the car feels.

3) If the tires are new (or even if they are not) check that if the tires are unidirectional that they have been installed in the right direction.

4) If the tires are used and if the car's alignment has changed since you last ran these tires the tires can be noisy as they wear in and adapt to the new/different alignment.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:18 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macster
No relationship between swapping wheels/tires or running winter tires and bad wheel bearings.

Couple of things that can account for the noise.

1) Carlos_Carrera does bring up the issue of tire noise with all season tires. Winter tires might be noisy like all season tires. While i have no winter tire experience with my Porsche cars I have plenty of summer tire expeirence and know with summer tires tire noise gets pretty bad as the tires wear. It would not surprise me in the least that this was also the case with winter tires. If the Dunlop tires are worn down they can just be noisy.

2) Double check the air pressures. Tire pressures may have been set to the tire pressures for a fullly loaded car. If the tires are inflated to a pressure much different from what the were inflated to when they were used the tire's shape can be a bit different and this can account for noise and even how the car feels.

3) If the tires are new (or even if they are not) check that if the tires are unidirectional that they have been installed in the right direction.

4) If the tires are used and if the car's alignment has changed since you last ran these tires the tires can be noisy as they wear in and adapt to the new/different alignment.
It was 2). Four to five pounds off on all corners. Now it feels like a different car and runs nicely.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
It was 2). Four to five pounds off on all corners. Now it feels like a different car and runs nicely.
That's good news.

You have winter tires installed now. Is the rest of the car ready for winter? I assume the coolant's good? The cooling system has no leaks? The wiper blades are good? You have the windshield washer tank filled with washer fluid that won't slush/freeze up in real cold weather?

You want to be sure you go into winter with no lingering issues. And summer too...
Old 11-27-2017, 10:50 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macster
That's good news.

You have winter tires installed now. Is the rest of the car ready for winter? I assume the coolant's good? The cooling system has no leaks? The wiper blades are good? You have the windshield washer tank filled with washer fluid that won't slush/freeze up in real cold weather?

You want to be sure you go into winter with no lingering issues. And summer too...
Good call on the windshield washer! The rest is pretty good I think. I won't drive it more than a few hundred miles probably anyway, over the winter.

Quick Reply: Suspected bad wheel bearing