2003 seat/key memory ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:58 AM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2003 seat/key memory ?

Hi folks,

We did some preventative maintenance this weekend and FINALLY replace the original battery.

Everything is fine but for the life of me, I simply cannot get our keys to recognize the settings on opening and closing.

I can hit the button aside the seat and it goes straight to my settings, however, every time I lock the car and unlock it, there is a setting that I simply cannot clear.

UGHHHHH

Not a huge deal but at some point in time I am going to crush my legs when I get in.

Have any of you had this issue?

Yes, I have read the manual but I must be missing something.

Thanks for the help in advance.

PS we swapped the key fob batteries out as well if that helps troubleshoot things.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:35 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Is this only in your garage?

Are you using YOUR key to unlock it, or is it already unlocked in the garage from the last use with the other key?
Old 11-07-2017, 10:10 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Start the car and put the seat in the position you want the key to remember. Then at the same time press the "M" button on the door sill and the locking button on the key. The key will now remember that seat position.

The system can remember five seat settings. Three on the door sill and one on each key.
The following users liked this post:
gietl (01-25-2020)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:46 PM
CordedTires
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this on rennlist, and it works on my 2004, this may actually be the same thing that Carlo posted but also storing the key positions on the door sill::

Porsche 996 seat memory to key:
(1) Turn the engine on with the key FOB you want to program.
(2) Move the seat and mirrors to the desired position
(3) Press the "M" button and hold it down
(4) While holding the "M" button down, press the "key" button, then release the "key" button without releasing the "M" button
(5) While still holding the "M" button down, press the "1" button to program it to "1"
(6) Release both the "1" button and the "M" button at the same time

That's it. If you want to program your key to the "2" position, just repeat the procedure and push the "2" button instead of the "1" button.”
Old 11-07-2017, 10:54 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,883 Likes on 1,533 Posts

...ignition needs to be on, but engine doesn't need to be running.

Also, if you want your right side mirror to dip when you are in reverse, put the car in reverse when programming the key or memory setting.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:23 AM
mpsig226
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Procedure should be:

1. Memo 1)
- Turn ignition key to ignition position (dash lights ON engine OFF)
- Set seat and both L&R mirror positions
- Engage reverse gear (only after seat and mirrors are set)
- Press M button 1st followed by "memory position 1 button" for 2 seconds to be sure.
- Release position 1 button 1st followed by M button.

2. Memo 2) Follow same steps in 1.

3. FOB 1)
- Turn ignition key to ignition position (dash lights ON engine OFF)
- Set seat and both L&R mirror positions
- Engage reverse gear (only after seat and mirrors are set)
- Press M button 1st followed by "Key logo button" for 2 seconds to make sure.
- Release key logo button 1st followed by M button,

If you want to set Fob 1 the same as Position 1, you must set seat/mirror memory to position 1 "and then place transmission into reverse" followed by pressing the M key and followed by the key logo button. Failing to put into reverse will not record memory for reverse mirror position. Not doing so will cause your car to have position 1 function as intended, but your FOB will act like position 1 without the reverse mirror. I hope I'm cristal clear.

I have Position 1, FOB 1 & 2 all set the same. However, I have set Position 2 for night driving so that I can avoid vehicles behind me from blinding headlights via the side mirrors.

That is all ...

Last edited by mpsig226; 11-10-2017 at 02:26 AM. Reason: format
Old 01-15-2023, 02:50 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 315 Posts

Bringing a thread back from the dead - I have a weird issue with my memory seat. I have the #1 setting set correctly for me, and when I push the 1 button next to the seat it always goes to the correct setting. When I lock the car using the key fob, the seat stays where it is. When I unlock with the fob, the seat goes to a random setting, which I think is all the way down and all the way back. I have followed every single suggested method for linking my key fob to the memory setting but no success - it goes right back to the random setting, and I’m too damn short, so I have to slide in and then hold #1 to have it go back to my setting. It does not return when I turn the car on - I have to push the button.

What else can I do? 04 TT cab - can’t find any setting in the PCM that might have a comfort entry or something like that.

Old 01-15-2023, 08:51 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
Bringing a thread back from the dead - I have a weird issue with my memory seat. I have the #1 setting set correctly for me, and when I push the 1 button next to the seat it always goes to the correct setting. When I lock the car using the key fob, the seat stays where it is. When I unlock with the fob, the seat goes to a random setting, which I think is all the way down and all the way back. I have followed every single suggested method for linking my key fob to the memory setting but no success - it goes right back to the random setting, and I’m too damn short, so I have to slide in and then hold #1 to have it go back to my setting. It does not return when I turn the car on - I have to push the button.
Have you tried erasing the stored memory position assigned to your key?
Old 01-15-2023, 09:29 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dock - I did try that according to the directions by pushing M+2 at the same time but no luck. It is entirely possible that the 2 keys I have were replacements at some point - I noticed today that my 2nd key doesn’t even lock or unlock the car - it will start the car, but there is zero evidence it is alive - no red light flashing, even with a brand new battery
Old 01-15-2023, 09:38 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dock - I did try that according to the directions by pushing M+2 at the same time but no luck.
Clearing the stored seat position requires the ignition to be in the 'ON" position, and then simultaneously pressing the "key symbol" and the person 2 button for at least 5 seconds.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:04 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Just went out and tried that - no dice. It’s pretty comical - I have seen 10 different methods that folks have posted as the right way to do this, and none of them have had any impact on my settings. As soon as I unlock with the key fob it goes right back to the random setting and I have to push and hold 1 to get back to my setting.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:07 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just went out and tried that - no dice. It’s pretty comical - I have seen 10 different methods that folks have posted as the right way to do this, and none of them have had any impact on my settings. As soon as I unlock with the key fob it goes right back to the random setting and I have to push and hold 1 to get back to my setting.
What I posted in right out of the owner's manual.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:37 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Yep - I see that and I followed it to a T but no luck. Oh well - guess I’ll just have to live with it. Thanks for posting Dock - I was hopeful it would solve the problem.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:43 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 468 Posts
Default Thanks.

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Start the car and put the seat in the position you want the key to remember. Then at the same time press the "M" button on the door sill and the locking button on the key. The key will now remember that seat position.

The system can remember five seat settings. Three on the door sill and one on each key.
I have same issue. I’ll fix today.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:17 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 468 Posts
Default Thanks a lot.

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera

I did this today and now it’s fixed. Thanks a bunch.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (01-25-2023)

Quick Reply: 2003 seat/key memory ?