Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual/spoiler warning question (for the experts)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 07:09 PM
CordedTires
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual/spoiler warning question (for the experts)

Hi! Apologies if you read this on the 996 forum, I was advised to post it here. Forgive a newbie.....

1. The new car (2004 911 turbo cab Tiptronic) came without a manual. Does anyone have a link to pdf for this specific one? I’m thinking about paper too if anybody has an extra.
2. Rear spoiler seems to work manually fine up/down - I don’t know what it’s supposed to look like so not 100% sure. If I exceed 75 or so, at some point the red spoiler warning light on the dash comes on, with the detailed message something like spoiler deployment failure. Error indication stays on until car is turned off. From searching the list it sounds like it’s designed to do this if auto deployment takes longer than 15 seconds. When I do it manually from the rocker switch on the dash, it’s less than that.

I’m curious if anyone has experienced the same, and what the fix was.

thanks!
Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,293 Likes on 1,463 Posts

The best place to find a hard copy of the manual is probably eBay but is will be pricey.

The resident expert on spoiler issues is DaveCarrera4. Hopefully he will chime in.

Maybe you want to PM him? https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...ecarrera4.html
Old 10-30-2017, 08:09 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

You may have one of the up and down switched broken. I had a broken lower switch and it caused random stayupedness and occasional warning light. Pull the switches out and see if the little spring arm is missing off the end of it.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:01 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely you are low on spoiler fluid, or have an upper limit switch issue. Lots of threads on bleeding and filling the system, lots of threads on splicing in new switches... there is but one alternative available as well I'm told.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:22 AM
CordedTires
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, sir!
Old 10-31-2017, 12:20 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dave is being bashful http://rennkit.com

Failure light is downward slope soon you will have uneven spoiler deployment. Buy Dave’s kit and save yourself the trouble.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:46 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Pretty good explanation here.
http://rennkit.com/why-factory-set-fails/

As Atrox posted yesterday. Stop picking on me, I’m a little slow.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:38 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

You guys nailed it. I thank you all.

Lots of tech bulletins and other assorted factory stuff here: http://rennkit.com/home/service-manual/
Old 11-02-2017, 10:18 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 748 Likes on 521 Posts

IMO I would find it highly unlikely it's a fluid issue if it works through the dash button. Most likely the switches as previously stated.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:44 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
IMO I would find it highly unlikely it's a fluid issue if it works through the dash button. Most likely the switches as previously stated.
Air in the system could be compressed by pressure on the wing when deploying at speed causing incomplete or slow cycling to full extension, this would activate the spoiler alert.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:57 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

You say that the spoiler raises and lowers manually. Using your rear view mirror you should also see it rise at 74 or so mph and lower around 30 mph. Check that. If all that is occurring correctly my opinion is you do not have a mechanical problem. You have an electrical issue with the limit switch. Either the actuator arm is off, the arm is not actuating fully, or the switch is bad. Locate the switch that actuates on raising. Have someone raise it manually and check that the arm of limit switch moves fully. If it does you need a voltmeter ohm meter. With power on you can check the voltage across the switch, or with power off check the resistance. I prefer power off to prevent shorting something. If on actuation the switch doesn't change state, you need a new one. Far cheaper than changing out the entire system.<br />
Old 11-04-2017, 12:54 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CordedTires

2. Rear spoiler seems to work manually fine up/down - I don’t know what it’s supposed to look like so not 100% sure. If I exceed 75 or so, at some point the red spoiler warning light on the dash comes on, with the detailed message something like spoiler deployment failure.
Don't drive the car over 74; the person who buys your car from you later is going to check the ECU for over-revs, and start another silly thread on this topic here.

Please spare us.

Thank you in advance.

:-)
Old 11-04-2017, 07:57 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by autobonrun
You say that the spoiler raises and lowers manually. Using your rear view mirror you should also see it rise at 74 or so mph and lower around 30 mph. Check that. If all that is occurring correctly my opinion is you do not have a mechanical problem. You have an electrical issue with the limit switch. Either the actuator arm is off, the arm is not actuating fully, or the switch is bad. Locate the switch that actuates on raising. Have someone raise it manually and check that the arm of limit switch moves fully. If it does you need a voltmeter ohm meter. With power on you can check the voltage across the switch, or with power off check the resistance. I prefer power off to prevent shorting something. If on actuation the switch doesn't change state, you need a new one. Far cheaper than changing out the entire system.<br />
good idea about testing the microswitch, but he states it is working correctly with the dash switch, so your test will not show anything - false positive. It would have to be done at above 75 MPH, which is difficult.
1. Replace both switches (they are not the same) and see if that fixes it. (Cheap)
2. If not, move on to the refill procedure. (More difficult)
Old 11-04-2017, 11:58 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
good idea about testing the microswitch, but he states it is working correctly with the dash switch, so your test will not show anything - false positive. It would have to be done at above 75 MPH, which is difficult.
1. Replace both switches (they are not the same) and see if that fixes it. (Cheap)
2. If not, move on to the refill procedure. (More difficult)
When I went back and read his post he said the warning light came on above 75 mph, but he never said if the spoiler came up at that speed. The question that needs answering is whether the warning light is on because the spoiler failed to move at 75 mph or whether it moved and wasn't detected by the limit switch. That's why the first step I suggested is to check for movement at speed, not just with the manual switch. If we knew the answer to that we could help diagnose the problem. Without that info I would just be guessing.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:19 PM
slomarsh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem. Spoiler warning lights. Proper up and down at proscribed speeds became unreliable. Seepage of hydraulic fluid on the left side. I put the spoiler in the permanent up position and removed (but preserved) the entire hydraulic system. Easy to do if you have any mechanical ability.
Total cost was $5.00 for simple, readily available hardware.

Quick Reply: Manual/spoiler warning question (for the experts)